Anyone had Pepperoni rolls?

Author
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
2005/07/09 10:03:46 (permalink)

Anyone had Pepperoni rolls?

In college in Midland MI, there was a pizza place named Pizza Sams now Pizza King that made Pepperoni rolls. Essentially a small pizza, with toppings, sauce and cheese rolled and tucked so that it came out like an enclosed baked loaf of sub bread. We lived off of those things, of course that plus euchre and beer My favorite was extra pepperoni, extra cheese and no sauce.

Yes and I know in the Morgantown WVa area they also sell Pepperoni rolls, but the WVa style are small bread like rolls, sliced down the middle with the pepperoni, cheese and peppers added to it (or with the cold off the shelf have the pepperoni baked into the roll)

Anywhere else have a Pizza roll/Pepperoni roll like this?

18 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/09 10:43:10 (permalink)
    DiSorba's in Hamden, Connecticut has pepperoni rolls, spinich rolls and broccoli rolls that are awesome.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/09 10:52:20 (permalink)
    Let me post the link to the Pepperoni Roll Variations page of Bob Heffmer's wonderful website:

http://www.fscwv.edu/users/rheffner/pepperoniroll/variations.htm

Check it out.....

I finally tasted my first pepperoni roll last week when I stumbled across a basket of them at a roadside farm market on Rt. 23, just south of Columbus. They were made by the Amish and used sliced, not stick, pepperoni, but tasted wonderful when warmed.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/09 11:11:29 (permalink)
    Yep that's the WVa style ones that I've had, they're good, and the ones prepared by a pizza joint are actually better than these as they are fresher and that makes a difference. The off the shelf ones aren't bad in a pinch but sadly you could fit 10 of those into one of pizza dough kind.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/09 11:37:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

Let me post the link to the Pepperoni Roll Variations page of Bob Heffmer's wonderful website:

Check it out.....

I finally tasted my first pepperoni roll last week when I stumbled across a basket of them at a roadside farm market on Rt. 23, just south of Columbus. They were made by the Amish and used sliced, not stick, pepperoni, but tasted wonderful when warmed.

OK. Which farm market? There are at least three between Columbus and South Bloomfield. Or is it three between Columbus and Circleville? I've never had a pepperoni roll.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/09 12:00:03 (permalink)
    When I was in college in upstate NY (Potsdam), we used to go to Sergi's Pizza for pizza rolls, which are exactly what was described above. In fact, I blame pizza rolls for a lot of the weight I gained in college! Big greasy things, that really only tasted good at about 2AM, after many pitchers of beer. Mama Sergi used to shuffle around, with her housedress on, hugely swollen ankles, cigarette hanging out of her mouth...guess it added to the "ambiance"!
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/10 00:49:42 (permalink)
    I've only seen these things in WV and I did find one at a gas station/convenience store in Paducah, KY of all places, but they are great!!
    I make my own not as good version at home using a tortilla, brush on pizza sauce with pepperoni & cheese, roll up like a burrito, bake in oven at 375 for about 10 mins.
    MicahHibler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/24 11:27:25 (permalink)
    There is a pizza joint called Antonio's which flagship store is in Parma OH (Drew Carrey worked there when he was growing up) and they have awseome pepperoni rolls. There used to be a location in the SouthPark Mall in Strongsville which I worked at for almost four years and I used to buy them all the time. The thing that made them so good was the massive amount of pepperoni in them and how much grease there was soaked into the bread, that rocked. Hmmm maybe I will have to run out to Parma and get me some
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/24 11:45:42 (permalink)
    FYI:[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=529&RefID=529']Where they were invented, supposedly[/url].
    Nachise
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/28 17:04:25 (permalink)
    Everything I know about pepperoni rolls I learned in West Virginia.

Tomaro's and Oliverio's Peppers sell pepperoni rolls in Clarksburg, WV. We pick up several rolls to take home with us whenever we visit.

I prefer not to have cheese in my pepperoni rolls.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2005/07/30 23:19:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MicahHibler

There is a pizza joint called Antonio's which flagship store is in Parma OH (Drew Carrey worked there when he was growing up) and they have awseome pepperoni rolls. There used to be a location in the SouthPark Mall in Strongsville which I worked at for almost four years and I used to buy them all the time. The thing that made them so good was the massive amount of pepperoni in them and how much grease there was soaked into the bread, that rocked. Hmmm maybe I will have to run out to Parma and get me some

Micah, are these the pizza style ones that I remember from Michigan or the West Virginia bread rolls with slices or sticks of pepperoni in them?
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/03 16:00:35 (permalink)
    Woo hoo! I'm working in Midland and Saginaw this weekend and staying at the Marriott on Main St. I am so glad I looked this up, a pizza roll sounds great!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/03 16:09:38 (permalink)
    Sometimes for the kids I'll take some crescent rolls, roll it out, mix a bit of cream cheese with garlic salt, spread it on a triangle, add 1 or 2 slices pepperoni, roll up and bake. Bake 350 8 or 9 mins till browned. Pepperoni bites.

Also very good with booze and TV.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/03 16:15:08 (permalink)
    Fabulous- I'm so glad I didn't have my mouth full of my drink when I read that last line! LMAO!
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/03 16:57:13 (permalink)
    My dad grew up in Clarksburg and his father sold eggs to Tomaro's bakery back in the 1930's-1940's or thereabouts. Fresh pepperoni rolls are good but I cannot say that I really like them if they've been defrosted.

Barry
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/03 18:28:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

FYI:[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=529&RefID=529']Where they were invented, supposedly[/url].

this looks nothing like the Pizza rolls at Sergie's and Aunt Josie's in Potsdam, NY that joanie was talking about.
    The ones in Potsdam were more like oversized strombolis with the sauce inside. Like a 12" pizza, rolled up - cheese, toppings, sauce and all.

They made the Freshman 15 an easy grab.

Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/06 10:35:51 (permalink)
    I tried the pizza rolls at Pizza Sams and was dissapointed. I don't think I'd go again.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/06 11:26:19 (permalink)
    The farm market you mentioned is Renick's Farm Market on Rt. 23, just north of South Bloomfield and south of Columbus on the east side of the highway. The hitch is that they are delivered there from the Amish on a Friday and are usually gone by Saturday: Rt. 23 experiences a huge southbound flow on Friday and a subsequent northbound flow on Sunday as all the folks working in Columbus/Detroit go home for the weekend in KY/WV. They also close for the season after Halloween and do not open again until late May. The pepperoni rolls are tasty though, they have the regular ones and jalapeno cheese ones
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

Check it out.....

shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Anyone had Pepperoni rolls? 2006/11/07 08:33:37 (permalink)
    They're huge here in Steubenville. Our local Italian grocery always has some on the counter, made with their bread dough. I like them warm, dipped in marinara sauce. Or cold, right out of the bag.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1