Helpful ReplyAnyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 truck

Author
farmerjj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2014/08/27 20:22:31 (permalink)

Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 truck

here's the truck.
www. 1drv.ms/YXKMzr

i have a 60 inch exhaust hood. i'd like to put a fryer and one of these under it:
Primo Oval Jr. Ceramic grill
youtube.com/watch?v=nSoqR39GWn8

so does anyone have any experience with any kind of ceramic grill?
does anyone use dividers under their hoods (to keep oil away from open flame?)

and induction? i can't find a single person who's tried it, which seems weird because it's supposed to be so great.
thanks.
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/27 21:23:59 (permalink)
i also have:
a new 4000 watt split phase inverter 12 DC to 120/240 AC. (12000 w surge)

no batteries yet. i'm going to get these pvx-3050t 6v 300 amp ones i think. probably just two to start with, instead of 4.
they seem like they'll last at least twice as long as anything else?
www. centexbatteries.com/Xtendertable.html

this looks pretty cool too.
The ProAlt C optimizes the available output of the alternator and converts the output to mimic that of a mains driven 4 stage battery charger. Consequently, your batteries will charge 5 times faster - this means less fuel used - the ProAlt C can, therefore, pay for itself in a matter of weeks.
www. defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2289948|2289953&id=2086384

i think i'm going to run a 2500w/240v/11.4A fryer and a 1400w/120v/12A convection oven with it.
and maybe batteries and smaller inverters for everything if things work they way they are supposed to.
i have a 6000w generator but i'd rather not use it, or at least not until after running 2 or 3 hours.

trying to stay away from propane and the generator really.
JayL
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/27 23:05:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/28 22:10:05
What do you want to know about induction?  At home...I'll never go with anything else, given the choice.
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1998
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 00:29:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/28 22:04:13
A. Keep the green eggs in the back yard, it's not big enough for a commercial setting.
B. It will break, it was not designed to be bounced around in a food truck.
If you want to cook on wood, buy a commercial charcoal grill.
Dividers only need to be used between a fryer and an open flame when there is less than somewhere around 6" of clearance, has to be around 12" tall. I forget the exact requirements but check with your local authorities.
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 06:47:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/28 22:10:16
As far as induction, I'd never use it in place of gas at a omelet or sauté station, or for making pasta dishes.  For holding liquids or soups at a constant temp induction works good.  But replacing a a multi burner gas cook top with all induction is not something I'd ever consider.  We use the small table top type induction burners for holding.
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 15:13:36 (permalink)
thanks, all!
as far as induction, i'm going to get one for my house to try, but i'd like to use it in the truck too.
a couple of really dumb questions- i swear i looked for the answer to the first for longer than i wanted to.
1. the pot/pan isn't stuck to the thing when it's on, right?
all i found elsewhere was someone who didn't like induction for saute, but they didn't say why.
because you lose the heat, or scratch the surface up...or the unit shuts on and off when you do?

2. can you put say a silicone pad on the ceramic tops, or does that mess up the heat transfer somehow?

JL- i want to know what it's best for and why more people aren't using them commercially if they're so efficient?

so, RB, you don't like them for saute? they don't get hot enough, or don't stay at the same temp or something?
i was thinking of having a gas burner for busy times/backup...but if induction boils water and holds soup so well, why doesn't it work for quick saute?

buba - thanks for the divider info- checking with my local authorities usually ends up as "the guy who knows isn't here...click, hang up". and there's hardly anything online about "mobile establishments". (i'm in RI)
going by the state of the truck when i got it- i'm gonna have to inspect it myself!
chafed gas line, no thanks! i'll just say the kitchen set-up was a bit...weird.
i was looking at stainless charcoal grills, but they're just as much $$ it would seem, for ones with covers?
are you using one, and if so what kind?
the biggest Primo ceramic one is 400 sq in, and if you look at this:

grillandpatio.com/fire-magic-grills-and-smokers-65/charcoal-grills-smokers-73/

the cheaper ones don't have covers? and the fancier ones are ~~ the same price as Primo?
there are always back-up options (gas char-broiler inside the truck or an outdoor grill if an event allows that? weddings/festivals, etc.)?

i'm not so worried about it breaking...looks like the things fit right into a wooden table if you want, so i'd maybe clamp it to the stainless table top if necessary when driving around?

thanks again, all!
post edited by farmerjj - 2014/08/28 22:04:51
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 21:01:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/28 22:03:56
farmerjj
so, RB, you don't like them for saute? they don't get hot enough, or don't stay at the same temp or something?
i was thinking of having a gas burner for busy times/backup...but if induction boils water and holds soup so well, why doesn't it work for quick saute?

It's really up to your personal technique.  I've had to do omelets before on induction, and I find my technique for doing them means I like to tip the pan to the flame when rolling the omelet, if its a bit underdone I'll hold it there for a bit and or flip again.  A lot of movement, and its just not comfy doing it on a glass plate surface where you don't know if its getting hot or not till its much later, with gas I have visual feedback and am much more confident.

If I'm prepping for a pasta dish I may start hot and fast for the sauté, then switch down the flame for the sauce finish and mix with the pasta, there's a lot of motion involved, as I've done it perhaps thousands of times.  Keeping a pan perfectly flat on an induction burner and not being able to see the flame status is just too different for an old hat at this.  I'm not saying you can't make a good sauté or omelet on ind, I just don't see any reason to mess with what works quickly for me now.

I can't speak to your other questions, as I've only used ours to set a temp and pop a pot on it and forget it.
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 22:24:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/29 11:27:51
Not sure how RI is but most places require you to have a separate hood/fan for solid fuel appliances and they CANNOT and WILL NOT allow you to have one on the same hood systems as a fryer.  And if you think about doing induction burners and all the electric appliances I would highly recommend looking into your generator to help keep your batteries topped off.  All that stuff requires tons of power and  two batteries just won't cut it.  You'll have to spend more time charging that you'd ever be able to use running.  Just my 3 pesos...
JayL
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/28 22:31:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby farmerjj 2014/08/29 12:31:14
farmerjj
thanks, all!
as far as induction, i'm going to get one for my house to try, but i'd like to use it in the truck too.
a couple of really dumb questions- i swear i looked for the answer to the first for longer than i wanted to.

1. the pot/pan isn't stuck to the thing when it's on, right?  Correct.  The pan has to be magnetic, but that doesn't mean the cooktop acts as a magnet. 
all i found elsewhere was someone who didn't like induction for saute, but they didn't say why.
because you lose the heat, or scratch the surface up...or the unit shuts on and off when you do?  You don't lose any more heat than you do with any other cooktop.  Take any pan off the cooktop to saute and you begin losing heat.  You CAN scratch the surface if you shake a pan w/o taking it off the top...just like any other ceramic top.  'Some' units will shut off immediately upon removing the pan.  Mine does not, and I saute as I would with any other cooktop.

2. can you put say a silicone pad on the ceramic tops, or does that mess up the heat transfer somehow?  There is no heat transfer from top to pan on an induction cooktop.  The pan itself is the heat source. 

JL- i want to know what it's best for and why more people aren't using them commercially if they're so efficient?  To me this is mainly because of the glass surface.  Many (most) cooks are a rough crowd.  While I know there are some commercial induction units being used, I'd rather have a range full of cast iron grates for general use. 

i was thinking of having a gas burner for busy times/backup...but if induction boils water and holds soup so well, why doesn't it work for quick saute?  It works fine for a quick saute.  They certainly get hot enough.  My largest burner is the equivalent of 26,500+ BTUs.  Yeah...it's hot enough.  LoL

buba - thanks for the divider info- checking with my local authorities usually ends up as "the guy who knows isn't here...click, hang up". and there's hardly anything online about "mobile establishments". (i'm in RI)
going by the state of the truck when i got it- i'm gonna have to inspect it myself!
chafed gas line, no thanks! i'll just say the kitchen set-up was a bit...weird.
i was looking at stainless charcoal grills, but they're just as much $$ it would seem, for ones with covers?
are you using one, and if so what kind?
the biggest Primo ceramic one is 400 sq in, and if you look at this:

grillandpatio.com/fire-magic-grills-and-smokers-65/charcoal-grills-smokers-73/

the cheaper ones don't have covers? and the fancier ones are ~~ the same price as Primo?
there are always back-up options (gas char-broiler inside the truck or an outdoor grill if an event allows that? weddings/festivals, etc.)?

i'm not so worried about it breaking...looks like the things fit right into a wooden table if you want, so i'd maybe clamp it to the stainless table top if necessary when driving around?

thanks again, all!

post edited by JayL - 2014/08/28 22:33:35
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 12:30:46 (permalink)
JayL
farmerjj
1. Correct.  The pan has to be magnetic, but that doesn't mean the cooktop acts as a magnet. 

2. There is no heat transfer from top to pan on an induction cooktop.  The pan itself is the heat source. 

3.   It works fine for a quick saute.  They certainly get hot enough.  My largest burner is the equivalent of 26,500+ BTUs.  Yeah...it's hot enough.  LoL

1.THANK YOU!!

2. was about using a silicone pad

chowhound.chow.com/topics/907333

^^ interesting, you can use lots of things at low or medium temp.
newspaper? baking soda? weird!

3. another question...if induction boils water so fast (is it really 60-90 seconds like they advertise?)
doesn't it heat up oil just as fast?

so it could be super efficient for french fries? the biggest cast iron Dutch oven that will fit?
i'd think if it can heat the oil up in 1 minute instead of 5, it'll rebound faster, too?

thanks a bunch.
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 16:38:03 (permalink)
fishscale28
Not sure how RI is 

I would highly recommend looking into your generator...  two batteries just won't cut it. 

RI is kind of indescribable when it comes to any sort of state gov things.
the guy i bought the truck from told me;
"we put this hood in even though we didn't have to"
which doesn't make much sense at all. he had a fryer next to a gas griddle?

i only want to run for 2 hours or so off of the batteries, trying to figure out what exactly will draw how much.
this is the only fryer is can seem to find with watts per hour, on the spec sheet.

www. webstaurantstore.com/wells-llf-14-14-lb-nickel-plated-electric-countertop-fryer/942LLF14.html

i assume the 445 watts per hour is without putting any fries in it?

so say i end up drawing 3000 watts/hour. 12.5 amps at 240.
that's 150 amps at 12 volts, so would take 600 amps of battery down 50% in 2 hours?
or am i totally messing that up?
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 16:39:09 (permalink)
how many comments before i can post a link? 20 or 30?

this is pretty interesting- charging batteries FIVE times faster?

www. sterling-power.com/products-altbatt-benefits.htm
post edited by farmerjj - 2014/08/29 16:40:59
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 16:42:19 (permalink)
this is from the sterling power link ^^ above.

How do we do this?

Well, in theory, it is very simple. With an advanced regulator which connects to the alternators regulator, we override the standard alternator regulator and we push the alternators voltage up to increase the voltage at the batteries. This results in a massive charge improvement at the batteries.
With the voltage amplifier we do the reverse. We put a load on the alternator to pull the alternator voltage down. This fools the alternator into thinking that there is a major drain on the system and as such the standard regulator works at full current. However, the voltage is pulled down to a totally useless voltage for charging batteries. So the new system takes in this high current, but low voltage and amplifies the voltage to charge the auxiliary battery bank at a much higher voltage than the base system voltage.
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 16:54:26 (permalink)
sure, this thing is pricey:
sterling-power-usa.com/12volt-210ampalternator-to-batterycharger.aspx

but you'd put 210 amps an hour into batteries while driving?
if your alternator puts out that much.
P-30s put out 105 if i'm not mistaken?

alternatorparts.com/cs130d-cs144-trk-suv-upgrade.html

post edited by farmerjj - 2014/08/29 16:55:29
farmerjj
Junior Burger
Re: Anyone have a charcoal grill in a truck? or use induction burners anywhere?1980 P-30 t 2014/08/29 17:12:51 (permalink)
has anyone ever tried these? i mean eaten them, not sold them. or both.

With a smooth, dense, and custard-like interior, chickpea fries are far more satisfying than the starchy potato version. (They’re also higher in protein and fiber, if you’re concerned about such things when you eat fried foods.) Chickpea fries are arguably easier to make than French fries, as well. They take a little extra time, but the technique itself is child’s play compared to the endless, fiddly peeling and julienning required for French fries. You make a quick stiff batter on the stovetop, let it cool and harden in a pan, cut it into sticks (which takes about a minute), and fry away.

www. slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/02/20/chickpea_fries_recipe_better_easier_and_healthier_than_french_fries.html
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1