Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer?

Author
Midnight_Chef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2005/03/09 22:01:29 (permalink)

Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer?

Marinating, stews, braising, deglazing, baking, pilaf?

Let's hear it

26 Replies Related Threads

ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/09 22:07:31 (permalink)
    Actually, tonight I'm making a lamb stew with beer in the crockpot. I browned some cut up leg of lamb and added it to the pot with canned chopped tomatoes, beer, and chopped onion and garlic with salt & pepper to taste. I think that the recipe that I use also adds some rosemary but I didn't feel like adding it.

Also, I usually add a bottle of MGD to my chili.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/09 22:11:53 (permalink)
    I discovered a slight variation of this recipe, using dark beer, in a Polish cookbook (English translation) years ago, but it's so similar that I suspect Emeril read the same book.

Kielbasa in Polish Sauce
    Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 1999.

Ingredients
    12 ounces light beer
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 cups chopped yellow onions
    2 pounds Kielbasa sausage, links
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Directions
    In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the beer, water, onions and sausage. Season with
    salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the sausage from the

pan and cool. Slice the sausage into 1 -inch pieces. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir
    in the flour and cook for 4 to 6 minutes for a light brown roux. Stir in the vinegar, sugar and the reserved beer and
    onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until
    the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Add the sliced sausage and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
    Garnish with parsley.

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/09 22:20:52 (permalink)
    I always make beef stew and pot roast with beer.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 01:57:50 (permalink)
    Nothing better to do with beer than Welsh rarebit, far as I'm concerned. To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani: cheese good, toast good, beer gooooooooooood.

Make a roux of a quarter-cup each of butter and flour, then over low heat whisk in two teaspoons of prepared mustard and a tablespoon of Worcestershire, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Whisk in a cup and a quarter of beer and a cup and a quarter of heavy cream, then add 12 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar (or fontina, or gouda, or whatever) by handfuls until it's all melted. Serve over toast -- I like some asparagus on the side, too. Actually, a LOT of asparagus on the side.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 10:20:29 (permalink)
    This is an old family recipe. You can substitue navy beans but the flavor and texture won't be quite the same as with the marrow beans.

BEER-BEAN SOUP

1 cup marrow beans
    1 ham bone (optional)
    1 12-oz. can beer
    2 beef bouillon cubes, 2 cups beef broth or 1 can condensed beef broth
    1/2 cup diced ham
    1 Tbs. Brown sugar
    1 tsp. prepared mustard
    1 1/2 Tbs. catsup
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Drain and place in kettle. Add hambone, beer, and bouillon or beef broth and enough water to cover completely plus 1 inch. Simmer for about 2 hours or until beans are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 1/2 hour. Serves 4. Note: Canned diced tomatoes can be added. If so, omit ketchup. Some like to add a diced peeled potato also.

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 10:53:18 (permalink)
    Bratwirst steamed in beer

Cover the bottom of a large saucepand with sliced onions place brats on top and pour in beer - do not completely cover onions. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until onions are cooked through. Drain and reserve onions. Serve brats on rolls with onions, kraut and mustard as condiments.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 12:06:12 (permalink)
    All my recipes involve beer or wine, it mostly never makes it past my mouth though....
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 12:09:04 (permalink)
    I've got one and it's quick, easy and enjoyable. It's called Fresh Pee.

1. Drink beer.

2. Wait.

3. Serve.

vegas
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 12:18:55 (permalink)
    Guinness Chocolate Silk Pie

1 ½ cups crushed graham crackers
    1/3 cup melted butter
    12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
    24 large marshmallows
    pinch of salt
    2/3 cups Guinness stout
    1/3 cup evaporated milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tbsp. creme de cacao (liqueur, light or dark will work)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350¬8 F. Add melted butter to crushed graham crackers and mix until well blended. Using fingers, press crust mixture into bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Bake crust for about 6 minutes until set. (Or use a prepared graham cracker crust.)

2. Place chocolate, marshmallows and salt in a blender. Blend until well mixed and chocolate is finely ground. In two separate saucepans (in order to prevent curdling), heat stout and evaporated milk until very hot, but not boiling.

3. Pour stout and milk into blender and blend for one minute. Add vanilla and creme de cacao and blend. Pour into the crust and refrigerate overnight.
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 12:57:44 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a good recipe for beer cheese soup? I have tried a few but they weren't quite what I get in some restaurants.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 16:58:50 (permalink)
    I soak all dried beans in beer before cooking with them, and depending on the bean dish itself, often add some suds to that too.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 17:55:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

I've got one and it's quick, easy and enjoyable. It's called Fresh Pee.

1. Drink beer.

2. Wait.

3. Serve.

Wait a minute!!!!!! The original poster wasn't asking for marinade recipes...

Oops. Guess they were.....
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 17:59:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

All my recipes involve beer or wine, it mostly never makes it past my mouth though....

That proves it! ETOH, in general, is a recipe enhancer.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2005/03/10 18:12:24 (permalink)
    Beer batter for coating just about a little piece of vegetable (or shrimp) and deep frying, and served with a homemade sauce tartar.

Cheers, John
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/09 15:13:51 (permalink)
    I know this is an old thread but I've been experimenting with a Kentucky favorite and was looking for a place to share it with.

Spicy Beer Cheese!
    by Tom Jones

Ingredients:

2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    ½  cup flat beer (Open the beer, stir to remove bubbles.) you might not use it all
    1 clove garlic, minced
    ¼ tsp ground red pepper
    ½  teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Frank’s)
    ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
    ½ tsp horseradish
    saltine crackers
    pretzel sticks
    celery sticks
    Add 2 cups shredded cheese, garlic, ground red pepper, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to a food processor and mix until somewhat combined. Slowly pour in ¼  cup beer, and continue to mix with the food processor until creamy. Check the consistency of your beer cheese spread. If it is very stiff, blend in more beer, just a little at a time, until a smooth consistency. It’s best to refrigerate over night to allow all the
    flavors to combine. Serve with crackers, pretzel sticks and celery sticks. 

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/09 20:15:52 (permalink)
      I use beer in my chili recipe posted in the chili thread.
    I also use it to deglaze the pan after frying steaks. Beer cheese soup is great.

David O.
    HPlatz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/09 20:46:09 (permalink)
    boyardee65

I use beer in my chili recipe posted in the chili thread.
    I also use it to deglaze the pan after frying steaks. Beer cheese soup is great.

David O.

Beat me to the punch.  A can of beer goes into my chili as well.  It's not an option, it's a key ingredient.  Makes the dish and the smell when cooking-wonderful.
    greypatches
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/10 14:14:41 (permalink)
    I also use beer in my chili, and even in curry if I have a bottle open that is getting warm. This doesn't happen as much when my boyfriend is over at my house and can take care of any beer I haven't finished.

chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2015
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/10 18:57:05 (permalink)
    Braised lamb shanks,,,

season, dredge in flour, brown in olive oil, onion, garlic, fresh thyme & rosemary, quartered mushrooms of your choice, bottle of Bass or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale per shank,  Bit of roasted chicken stock or beef stock, 2-3 peeled & seeded roma tomatoes.

In a 350 oven covered until done. reduce sauce a bit to thicken, re season if necessary.
    Serve over pasta, cous cous, mashed potato...what ever floats your boat.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/10 19:26:22 (permalink)
    I haven't done kielbasa or made up a beer batter in a long time. Other then that, I only use beer in my chicken and yellow rice.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/11 00:22:12 (permalink)
    Although my Texan friends feel that beer in chili is a waste of both, I put beer in my chili (and, even worse, I use a dark beer; the Texans also feel that if you HAVE to put beer in chili, use Lone Star).

Using beer instead of wine in a stew is called a "carbonade".

If you want to get beer flavor in food, without wasting beer, get some Vegemite.
    carollwdls
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/11 19:37:05 (permalink)

I am a 6th generation Texan & I think beer (including dark beer) in chili is A-OK! 

Best Beer Cheese Soup ~ 
     “Daddy’s Money Restaurant” in DullAss, Texas circa 1972

1 ½ Jars Cheese Whiz
    ½ Gallon whole Milk
    4 T Parve “Chicken” Base
    2 t Lea & Perrins
    ½ C Water
    5 T Cornstarch
    1 Can Coors REGULAR
    Cayenne & Tabasco To Taste

Slowly heat milk to simmering. Add cheese by spoonfuls, stirring constantly. When cheese is completely blended, add chicken base, Lea & Perrins, and peppers. Bring back to a bare simmer. Mix water and cornstarch in saucer, then add to soup a little at a time, stirring constantly. When soup has thickened, add can of beer. Simmer very low. 

*NOTES: Parve chicken base is a Kosher fake chicken granule. It can be found in the Kosher section in grocery stores. I do NOT mess around with the original ingredients called for in this soup, with the exception of Tabasco, because it’s too salty and sharp for my taste; I prefer similar, less well-known Louisiana hot sauces. I suppose the recipe could be altered with other fake chicken bases, lower fat milk and beer other than Coors REGULAR. Of course, it could also be made with “real” cheese as well! But I would suggest following the recipe as is the first couple of times it is prepared. Then rule-breaking can commence. But, except for the Tabasco, I have never deviated from the recipe. It is addictive! (Maybe because I put aLOT of cayenne innit...)

Oh, AND: Disclaimer: Please bear in mind when perusing the ingredients (especially the Cheese Whiz) that this IS a 70's recipe... It is still Hot Damn GOOD! 
    CiaoMeOwww WOW! 

russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/12 00:49:18 (permalink)
    Braised Pork and Sauerkraut--------yum!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/13 22:16:32 (permalink)
    From a Texas point of view Shiner Bock is fine to use in chili. I also like a skinless Nathen's Hot Dog simmered in Shiner Bock. Oh, and in Gumbo! And to drink w/ a Wolf Brand chili dog.
    Joe
    ps303
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/15 08:03:10 (permalink)
    Beer used to be just beer, no fancy flavors.  Today you have a large variety that can be used in many different things.  Braised short ribs with a cherry stout would be great.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Anyone have a favorite recipe involving beer? 2010/08/16 15:26:07 (permalink)
    ps303 Beer used to be just beer, no fancy flavors.  Today you have a large variety that can be used in many different things.  Braised short ribs with a cherry stout would be great.

For some reason, no matter how it's dressed up, it's pretty much still beer.

Bart

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1