Anyone have issues with BID's and location?

Author
LeftCoastLinks
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2013/01/25 14:19:26 (permalink)

Anyone have issues with BID's and location?

Am looking into getting a cart, have a potential seller lined up but just want to make sure I can secure a location before jumping into it. I operate a food booth at events but would like to operate out of a cart. Where I am at there are a lot of business improvement districts and they can really throw a wrench into securing a location. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and how you worked it out.

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

LeftCoastLinks
    Junior Burger
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/27 22:41:31 (permalink)
    73 views and not one response..... My city must be the only one with this issue.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/28 01:07:44 (permalink)
    Sir,
    I just started last August. Still haven't found a good location. I thought every location I tried was a good one from advice I've gotten off of forums, but it doesn't work the same where I am compared to other places. I'm not ready to give up but folks in Western Colorado just do not eat a bunch of Hot dogs it seems to me.

I figured 32,000 autos passed in 4 days between 10 AM and 2 PM. I don't have any reason to lie. One lady in an auto stopped for directions. I sold $12 of hot dogs to a couple of people from the Discount Tire store on the next lot over in 4 days. I'm adding Hot Tamales and if it helps, I'm going to try Burritos.

This probably doesn't help you much, but do to your not receiving any post I thought I would say something.

LeftCoastLinks
    Junior Burger
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/29 22:05:46 (permalink)
    Brickboo, thanks for the post!

Hope you find a productive spot and can get some steady business.

Nick
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/29 22:13:31 (permalink)
    Are you dealing with enterprise zone issues?
    LeftCoastLinks
    Junior Burger
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/29 22:27:13 (permalink)
    Business improvement districts, different parts of the city have them. The purpose of them is to help all the businesses stay successful. They dont have any authority or relation with the city but they are the ones who will call parking enforcement and things like that to put a halt to food trucks setting up and selling. Brick and mortar food businesses do not want a truck pulling up and taking away their potential customers.

My question is if there are other cities with similar entities that make it difficult to secure a location for a cart. In my city carts cannot operate on public property, only private.

Nick
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/30 00:25:13 (permalink)
    Why hell yeah. Most municipalities around here won't allow you on PRIVATE land either. Obtaining a decent location IS the "work"  doing this, it makes selling food seem easy. 
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/31 16:35:03 (permalink)
    I don't think you can judge a spot by how many cars drive PAST...

The best spot has lots of FOOT traffic...

Is there a place for cars to turn in and park...???  People have to have a good reason to interupt their daily driving habits and stop...is the street one that has a higher speed limit, or a slower speed limit...???

How do passing cars NOTICE you...???

Once you find a good spot, print up "door hanger" coupons & spread them around...and many places have Shoppers News or something similar to have them include coupons...

Radio ads are way cheaper than TV ads...maybe a trade out...???

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:Anyone have issues with BID's and location? 2013/01/31 16:38:34 (permalink)
    Here in Northern Calif we see lots of food vending trucks, most are on private property by arrangement with the property owner, and some even have electrical plugs available for the food vendor...and most work out of certified kitchens...

The hardware stores & home improvememnt stores are ripe ground for food vendors...people are already OUT of their cars, walking, and often need a "grab & go" type lunch during their busy days...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1