The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Anyone heard of this guy?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
kowalski

• Total Posts: 6
Anyone heard of this guy? Sat, 01/5/08 9:31 PM (permalink)
I stalk, mostly, here,but I saw this on the Good Eats Fan board and wondered if anyone knew about him(The hot dogs,not the phantom guy)?Sounds pretty good!
http://www.phantomgourmet.com/Showpage.aspx?content=ReportCard&id=3438

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
    RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sat, 01/5/08 10:34 PM (permalink)
    Heard about him a few years ago at http://www.hollyeats.com/Speeds.htm

MiamiDon

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/6/08 7:53 AM (permalink)

I wonder whether Ezra “Boston Speed” Anderson is still selling 'dogs. Judging by the date of the review, he would have to be at least 87 by now. The secret sauce may remain a secret forever.

Sundancer7

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/6/08 7:59 AM (permalink)
        Real neat story and now I want to have one of those secret sauce hot dogs. It also looks like a full meal.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
          RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/6/08 8:13 AM (permalink)
          Yes he is still there. He sets up in the middle of the maket area on the South End of Boston/Roxbury line. I can't vouch for his barkers, I'm not a big hot dog fan but I do see lines at his truck. I understand he is not cheap either about 8 bucks for a barker and soda according to the guy where I buy some of my meats. Also as of late he has been hit or miss. Somedays he's there and somedays not. Chow Jim

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/6/08 9:06 AM (permalink)
            I've never been to Boston Speed's, but have heard a lot about this place. His hours are listed as Tuesday thru Friday from 11 AM until he runs out of hot dogs. From what I've heard, he doesn't show up when he doesn't feel like it. Many of his customers call a store across the street and ask if he is there before they make the trip.

If you look at Holly's review, you can see a Shofar sign in the background. This review was written a good few years ago. At the time I had heard that Boston Speed used Pearl brand franks. I e-mailed Holly, who told me that he switched on and off between Shofar and Pearl. I've also heard this from other people who've posted on various forums. It seems that at some point he stopped using Shofar and now uses Pearl only. I just saw a few pictures of the wagon somewhere on Chowhound (do a search) and there is a guy much younger then Ezra Anderson manning the grill.

The dogs are 1/2 pound, which is huge. Quarter pounds dogs are big. I read recently that the dogs are between 5 and 6 dollars. They are marinated in apple juice and I think brown sugar. It's mentioned in the article. A bunch of toppings which are homemade can be added to the dog. I'd love to try one. The dogs are grilled, which I like, but I don't know whether or not I'd like the flavor of the marinade.

As for the franks; I've tried both brands. Years ago, Shofar was made in Linden, N.J. I remember loving them as a teenager. Some years later they stopped making them in Linden. They are now made by Best Kosher out of Chicago. I had one about a year ago from a cart outside of Sears in Watchung. Very bland dog for an all beef kosher dog, and definitely not as good as when they were made in Linden. These dogs were available in a 5 lb package from Restaurant Depot. They no longer carry them. I haven't seen them in N.J. since and don't know if they are being distributed here or even made anymore.

Pearl franks are made in the Boston area. It is a quality all beef frank that I happenned to sample on 2 occasions. Very good flavor; a little milder than some of the beef franks available here such as Best, Sabrett, Nathan's, Boars Head, and Hebrew National. It has it's own unique spicing. I would say that it's much better than the Shofar frank I had awhile back.

If you do a search, you will find that Boston Speed is a very popular hot dog joint that consistently gets good reviews. Another place like Jimmy Buff's that may not be known nationally, but is well known in it's region and would make a good choice to be featured on a program like Hot Dog Paradise. As mentioned previously, Jimmy Buffs will be shown on this program sometime this month or next on the Travel Channel. I'll post the info as soon as I find out.

John Fox

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/6/08 10:26 AM (permalink)

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Mon, 01/7/08 8:57 PM (permalink)
                IMHO, I thought that Pearl dog's were a little too greasy for MY taste.

bigdog540

• Total Posts: 101
                  RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 01/8/08 1:18 PM (permalink)
                  I haven't been to Speed's in a few years, but last time I was there he was serving Pearl's, 2/1 NC. Pearl is an all beef dog, which is not common for New England. Most places around here serve Kayem which is a beef and pork dog, much milder in flavor than the all-beef Pearl. The other note on Pearl is the casing is tougher than usual. I think because of the size (half pound)they use a different casing than the lamb casings used by Kayem, it's more like a kielbasi casing. Pearl also makes these in a one pound size (1/1). The simmering step Speed uses makes the casing less tough and gives a great snap. I think he simmers them in apple juice and brown sugar. The final grilling gives a smokiness that makes Speed's a unique stop.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                    RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 01/8/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
                    Roos, maybe the fact he cooks em till they split
                    gets rid of some of the grease.

Red Sox Nation

• Total Posts: 69
                      RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Wed, 01/9/08 8:51 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by bigdog540

I haven't been to Speed's in a few years, but last time I was there he was serving Pearl's, 2/1 NC. Pearl is an all beef dog, which is not common for New England. Most places around here serve Kayem which is a beef and pork dog, much milder in flavor than the all-beef Pearl. The other note on Pearl is the casing is tougher than usual. I think because of the size (half pound)they use a different casing than the lamb casings used by Kayem, it's more like a kielbasi casing. Pearl also makes these in a one pound size (1/1). The simmering step Speed uses makes the casing less tough and gives a great snap. I think he simmers them in apple juice and brown sugar. The final grilling gives a smokiness that makes Speed's a unique stop.
                      Been there before he closed up for the winter. Speed is close to his mid 80's and is training a guy. No frills here but an experience you need to do if in Boston. He lives in my home town of Framingham MA. He only comes out if the weather is good. 1/2 lb a little to big for me prefer the 8/1

Jagmike

• Total Posts: 1
                        RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sat, 01/12/08 5:26 PM (permalink)
                        Greetings Dog Lovers. The BEST Chili Dogs can be found in New Castle, PA about 40 miles N. of Pittsburgh. Three joints in the area will suit spicy chili lovers. The first and oldest (from the 20's), is M&P Coney Island w/ two locations. The first is on the Square in downtown. The second is on Wilmington Road. Next would be Bill's Sandwich Shop, several locations, and also PO Lunch, also near the Square. Coney Island 9 E. Washington Street, New Castle,PA 16101 (724)654-6761, 2712 Wilmington Road, N.C., PA 16105 (724) 654-4522,
                        Bill's 1824 W. State Street, N.C.,PA 16101 (724)654-1921, 2425 Wilmington Road, N.C., PA 16105 (724)654-7573. ENJOY! These are the best.

Mike G. in NV

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                          RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sat, 01/12/08 5:46 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Jagmike

Greetings Dog Lovers. The BEST Chili Dogs can be found in New Castle, PA about 40 miles N. of Pittsburgh. Three joints in the area will suit spicy chili lovers. The first and oldest (from the 20's), is M&P Coney Island w/ two locations. The first is on the Square in downtown. The second is on Wilmington Road. Next would be Bill's Sandwich Shop, several locations, and also PO Lunch, also near the Square. Coney Island 9 E. Washington Street, New Castle,PA 16101 (724)654-6761, 2712 Wilmington Road, N.C., PA 16105 (724) 654-4522,
                          Bill's 1824 W. State Street, N.C.,PA 16101 (724)654-1921, 2425 Wilmington Road, N.C., PA 16105 (724)654-7573. ENJOY! These are
                          the best.

Mike G. in NV

Jag I think you are missing the point here. This is an 87 year old man with a daily recipe he has been serving longer than most of us have been alive. And he still sells his entire cart of dogs EVERYDAY! In Beantown no less. Bow in homage to one of the true Kings of the Hot Dog. Dont disrespect this icon by advertising another Hot Dog Stand in this post. Split a Bun Fork up a Great Dog and salute this Champion of The Hot Dog....Russ

John Fox

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sat, 01/12/08 10:39 PM (permalink)
                            Word

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                              RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/13/08 8:57 AM (permalink)
                              Russ, give the guy a break it's his first post here.
                              Mike welcome to Roadfood and thanks for the opinion.
                              Chow Jim

Russ Jackson

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 01/13/08 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Jimeats

Chow Jim

I think he might actually be the owner or family member of those joints. For a first time poster he sure has alot of information on those places.I think he is just a drive by advertizer and the odds of seeing him again are slim. Only time will tell......Russ

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                  RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Fri, 01/18/08 11:28 PM (permalink)
                                  I posted on the good eats fan page about Speeds.
                                  How can I find out when
                                  Speeds is open, I'll be driving in from CT.
                                  Thanks in advance
                                  Todd.

brickie

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Wed, 01/23/08 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                    Tap.... Come on Guys and gals, help please.

MiamiDon

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Thu, 01/24/08 7:28 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by brickie

I posted on the good eats fan page about Speeds.
                                      How can I find out when
                                      Speeds is open, I'll be driving in from CT.
                                      Thanks in advance
                                      Todd.

Newmarket Square
                                      (Opposite Grangier Supply)
                                      Roxbury, MA 02118

According to Holly Eats: "Open Tuesday - Friday Maybe not this winter 11-3 or so."

I don't know to which winter he refers.

brickie

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Thu, 01/24/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                        Thanks MiamiDon!

OilCan

• Total Posts: 19
                                          RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 03/23/08 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                          I can tell you with no reservation. Speed might make the greatest hot dog in the entire country. I haven’t seen him yet this year and haven’t been around as often in recent years as the past…but he never disappoints.

I’ve been a Speed fan since he opened in the ‘70’s and every year I can’t wait until the first warm day when I’m fairly certain his truck will be there. Yes, he’s elusive. Yes, getting a hot dog might take some time because contrary to his name it takes time to make a dog taste this good. But, a Speed Dog is worth a wait.

It used to be he’d be there all year round and I can remember standing in rain and snow storms for a dog along with a bunch of other people that appreciate food excellence.

The dog is huge, cooked to perfection and even the roll gets attention that makes these dogs special. Each one is placed over the coals at the last minute to toast them perfectly for the juicy Pearl Dog. If you can manage to get there and find him, do it right and get it with the works. He makes all the toppings and it’s really the only way to make the dog taste like it should and has been for the past 30 plus years.

Don’t confuse Speeds to a “normal” hot dog lunch. It’s more of a great meal than a hot dog.

To top it off…Speed is a real personality to talk to ….one of a kind, and I’m happy I’ve had the chance to enjoy his work and talk to him over the years. A real gentleman

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                            RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 03/23/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                            well geez, I hope someone has suggested he leave his recipes to
                                            someone when he retires....hate to see that thing go. That
                                            dog looks incredible.

wienermania

• Total Posts: 2
                                              RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Sun, 03/23/08 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                              I drove from Philly to Boston in the mid 90's after seeing an article on Speed's in Boston Magazine . Alas, the Red Sox got rained out on a Sunday Night ESPN and Speed wasn't there when I drove out there on Monday. Glad to see he's still slingin' em !

Janski

• Total Posts: 94
                                                RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Mon, 03/24/08 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                                I haven't heard of him... haven't seen him... but I'm sure looking up the Pearl Hot Dogs

chauly

• Total Posts: 9
                                                  RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Chow Jim

I think he might actually be the owner or family member of those joints. For a first time poster he sure has alot of information on those places.I think he is just a drive by advertizer and the odds of seeing him again are slim. Only time will tell......Russ

This is an interesting dilemma. My wife and I own a small sidewalk cafe in Buena Vista, VA, and it's hard not to refer to the food, our experiences, or our customers without sounding like a "drive-by". How would this work in an ideal world?
                                                  My experiences as a business traveler (eating out 15 times per week) give me something to talk about, but it certainly (eventually) relates to my other life as well....

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                                    What goes on a Speed's dog?
                                                    Joe

Russ Jackson

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by chauly

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Chow Jim

This is an interesting dilemma. My wife and I own a small sidewalk cafe in Buena Vista, VA, and it's hard not to refer to the food, our experiences, or our customers without sounding like a "drive-by". How would this work in an ideal world?
                                                      My experiences as a business traveler (eating out 15 times per week) give me something to talk about, but it certainly (eventually) relates to my other life as well....

chauly we want to hear about you your business and what places and food you like. Involve yourself in the site and try to give as much back as you take out. This is a great site with alot of interresting people. Tons of experience and insight. A day doesnt go by that I dont get a good laugh. Learn something or get a little irritated by someone. Its a great mix. Welcome to the site and enjoy the ride. As to my comment to the guy who made his first post about a place that had nothing to do with the original topic. I guess it looked like an advertisement more than a post...Russ

As you can see its been 3 months and he never wrote again.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                        • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                        RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        So Russ... does that mean that you don't know what goes on a Speed's dog? :~)

And, my friend Jack called this a.m., Only 51 days to till the WSOP starts. And my email might get unfroze this week? If not I am geting a new one.
                                                        Joe

Russ Jackson

RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Jagmike

Bill's 1824 W. State Street, N.C.,PA 16101 (724)654-1921, 2425 Wilmington Road, N.C., PA 16105 (724)654-7573. ENJOY! These are the best.

Mike G. in NV

Papa I was referring to this post...Russ

And I will most likely not be playing in the WSOP this year. Fortunately or unfortunately business is expanding and I dont think I will have time. But I might fly out for the limit holdem event as that is really my game...Russ

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                                            • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                            RE: Anyone heard of this guy? Tue, 04/1/08 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                                            Since no one has mentioned it yet, I just though I'd point out that there is another recent thread which is basically about Speeds on this very same board several topics below this one.

Here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26387

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com