Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 14:51:56 (permalink)
bdtn-----never had prime rib done in a MW, I seldom buy it so would be afraid to ruin it.  So I will take your word for it.  That was an interesting Thanksgiving Dinner.
I start a lot of stuff also----makes life interesting,  trying to do things better.

M Brooks of the Mississippi Brooks's I do all my vegetables in it now.  Carrots are great. 

Working on a special Italian Feast in the MW naming it the Joe Rogo Special.

Try the corn Russ, I promise you'll never go back to the old way, whatever it was.

Never knew crabs legs were so popular---live and learn. 

Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 15:03:24 (permalink)
mbrookes

I use the MW to cook some vegetables, notably asparagus and broccoli. It is also good for softening chopped onions, peppers, and celery to add to a recipe.

Here is a tip for reheating beef. The microwave makes beef taste rancid to me, so I heat a bowl of water in the MW, put the beef in a plastic bag and submerge it. In a few seconds the beef is warm and still tastes good.

I've learned to never heat any type grilled/smoked meats in a microwave, tastes nothing like it did prior.  Thanks for that tip.
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 15:09:08 (permalink)
Same here, although I use our micro primarly for re-heating and thawing, it's a great way to either quickly raise the temp of food to shorten recovery times or partially cook and finish in the oven.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 15:13:35 (permalink)
I use the micowave for sauces and gravies all the time.  I  do chicken breasts when I need chicken for a  casserole..........alawys comes out so  nice.  I always used it for puddings......so easy.

We use it for  popcorn    and bacon  and vegetables.  The grandchildren use it to  do  their  "White Castle" frozen burgers.
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 237
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 16:23:47 (permalink)
Bacon in the microwave just seems so ... not right.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 16:33:14 (permalink)
Re the energy saving --

I have just done an exhaustive study, sparing no expense.
It would appear that the most you could save using a MW for all your cooking would be $2.61 a month.  It ain't worth it. 

But during the summer it also produces a lot less heat than a conventional stove so Air Conditioning costs will be less. 

The important thing is using it for what it is good at and not for things it is not.

In a post from some research firm in Jolly Old England I see that 4 portions of frozen vegetables takes 6 min instead of 17 and would use 0.143 kwh in a MW against .407 on a regular electric range.  Savings $0.03 cents.  Which tastes better ?  The MW veggies are much better, hands down.

4 portions of boiled potatoes------6.3 minutes vs 24.3 ----- .15 kwh vs .50  another winner ----savings 5 cents. and tastes better.

Porridge (oatmeal) comes out even -----$0.03 either way.

so knowing what to cook in the MW can save money but not that much. 

Now as B Stiller mentions the Toaster oven is a winner  ---
One hour in an electric oven uses 2.0 kwh=$0.24
as compared to the toaster oven which used 0.33 kwh at a cost of .04

Conclusion----use the MW and Toaster oven and save some money-----use
a conventional oven for a big turkey on Thanksgiving unless you are on a Houseboat in Tennessee (think that is great) where you have to use a MW. 

Return to your corners and come out fighting, and may the better man (woman or child) win.

We are getting there-------The King of Siam said "It's a Puzzlement" but we are working on it.

-

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 16:50:33 (permalink)
But what about the savings in time?
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 17:21:33 (permalink)
I use the microwave for lobster.  It is too hot to boil water in the summer.  I put the live lobster in a glass pyrex dish and cover with plastic wrap.  I cook until red.  The bigger the bug, the longer it takes. 

I hate the thought of killing it this way, but it is fast.  There is a lot of juice in the legs, so you have to be careful when you pick it up.  You might even take kitchen shears and cut the very tips of the claws off, to drain the juices.  I don't put any water in the dish, just the lobster itself, but it does make a lot of juice.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 17:54:04 (permalink)
we only use ours for popcorn or melting butter
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 18:06:28 (permalink)
I use it mainly for melting butter when baking, and reheating cooked food, but it works great with fresh vegetables:

corn on the cob - cleaned and shucked, wrap in a damp paper towel and do about 3 minutes(1 corn at a time)  - allow 5-10 minutes to rest before you try eating it, as it will be scalding hot

beets - usually sold 3 to a bunch, choose them so they are uniform in size, cut tops off about 2" from the bulbs, cook in a microwaveable bowl in a about 3/4 cup water, try 12  minutes, you may have to add 3 minutes more (when fork  stuck in it comes out easily they are done)

asparagus - rinse off and add about 2-3 TBSP water in a microwaveable bowl and cook 2-2-2 .  Drain well, and let rest for a minute or so, before adding butter or hollandaise to it.

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/10 14:47:33 (permalink)
Does anyone have a recipe for eggplant? 
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/10 19:17:35 (permalink)
They make some foil looking stuff that browns things in the nuker. I had some and it worked.

Left over steak will heat up fine if you just get it to the "hot" point.

Cheep hot dogs and pre cooked sausages come out ok for a fast snack. Jalapeno and cheese sausages, wrapped in a flour tortilla and topped w/ mayo, are frequent requests at my house... and done in tha nuker.
Joe
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/17 09:11:53 (permalink)
I use the mcrowave for all my sauces-hollandaise, white sauce, cheese sauce, bernaise, so easy.

Also, the microwave is great for making homemade puddings & pie fillings.  Quicker than cooking on the stove top with a boxed pudding/pie filling & so much better.

I make meatloaf in a ring, place a pyrex custard cup on a round plate & form the meatloaf in a ring around the custard cup.  the meatloaf cooks evenly.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/23 16:11:05 (permalink)
Oh, I have a GE nuker that also has an oven like heating element, in the top part of it, for browning stuff. I rarely use the element though as it takes too long to heat up. I figured it was a good idea when I bought it. I should leave the 'figuring" to Einstein though. :~(

No one but me, and most frozen food companies, use that Microwave Browning Foil?
Joe
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1