Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2010/07/07 16:55:33 (permalink)

Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking?

The more I use mine the more I like it.  It works for other things besides warming
coffee and cooking TV Dinners. 

I find that none of my friends use the squarish thing
sitting on the counter taking up valuable space. 

Bacon, Corn-on-the-Cob and Potatoes were cooked today in the MV--- at 110Volts
in less than !/2 the time of on-stove food (save a small fortune in money)
and hardly any clean up---no pots or pans that's for sure.

Anyone else really use the old Zapper-roni ??????? Lets share recipes. 

43 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 17:13:51 (permalink)
    I think it's perfect for corn on the cob.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 17:47:05 (permalink)
    You mention bacon, yeah it cooks it, but $2.00 worth of paper towels later getting rid of the grease ain't worth it!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 17:53:56 (permalink)
    110 volts, but 1200 watts.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 18:24:09 (permalink)
    Please tell me how you cook corn on the cob in the MW?
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 18:43:48 (permalink)
    Mosca

110 volts, but 1200 watts.

Exactly. The electric company charges you for watts used, not voltage. 

Bacon does work well. If I'm running short on time, I'll cook a baked potato in the microwave, then crisp it up in the toaster oven. Now toaster ovens can really save some $$ on the elec bill...
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 680
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 20:27:47 (permalink)
    Last time the microwave died, I almost didn't get a replacement.  It mostly defrosts things, melts butter, and boils water.

However, I use the microwave at work for leftovers almost daily.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 20:49:09 (permalink)
    baked potatoes...in other words,waved spuds.
    they taste about the same as cooking them in the oven. 20 mins. nuked vs. 1 1/2 hrs. in the oven.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 20:55:48 (permalink)
    No.

(meaning, I don't use the microwave for serious cooking)
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2010/07/08 07:58:03
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 20:59:36 (permalink)
    TC Rouser------I peel back the husk and remove the strings.  Pull  the husk back
    up and soak.  Put in MV for approximately 2 minutes an ear---depending on your
    machine and your taste---if you want it cooked more put it back for a minute.

CTF---2 layers of paper towel under and one over and 3 slices are done in a minute---no fuss, no bother, no grease.  It's a bee-you-tee-full thing.

Mosca and Gostiller-------gotcha-----will check with local utility to see which comes out better----
    porkbeaks
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 21:15:05 (permalink)
    tcrouzer

I husk the ears, chill them, brush with melted butter, wrap with wax paper (twist the ends), and nuke on high for 7-8 minutes (4ears).  Comes out perfect every time.  pb
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 22:07:38 (permalink)
    We have nifty little tupperware microwave veggie steamer does coc, asparagus, greenbeens and a bout a dozen other thinkg. Great ebay investmrnt.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1299
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 22:19:44 (permalink)
    chewingthefat You mention bacon, yeah it cooks it, but $2.00 worth of paper towels later getting rid of the grease ain't worth it!

Here's the trick: On a plate, paper towel underneath, paper towel ON TOP.

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1299
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 22:22:20 (permalink)
    sk bob baked potatoes...in other words,waved spuds.
    they taste about the same as cooking them in the oven. 20 mins. nuked vs. 1 1/2 hrs. in the oven.

To expand on MiamiDon, those of us who scrub the potatoes and bake them without wrapping them in foil first love the crunchy skins and the well-baked potato underneath. You do not get that in a microwave. Also, the texture is just not the same.

Now, this is not to say that the products is bad. Just not the same.

mbaltusk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 22:42:16 (permalink)
    I don't even own a microwave.  I don't like the way the MW changes texture and dries food out.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/07 23:12:42 (permalink)
    In the summer I just about abandon the gas oven and turn to the microwave.  I like bacon baked in the oven best - but I'll microwave it between sheets of paper towels - it'll do on a BLT with a juicy garden fresh tomato.

Baked Potatoes - I find they're tolerable if you scrub them & let them dry, then prick and spray them with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt.  Cook them on a paper towel on high for 6 minutes and then turn them over and cook another 6 or however many minutes it takes to get them just right.

Meat loaf - it works okay if you use a lower power setting and babysit it to make sure the outer edges don't get tough.

Crab legs - microwave about half an inch of water in an oblong glass dish to boiling - add the crab legs, cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for maybe 1 to 2 minutes - let them sit for a couple of minutes.  Beware of lifting the plastic wrap - steam burns.  

There are many foods that are passable cooked in the microwave if you don't just throw them in there on high power and hope for the best - scrambled eggs - you just have to zap & stir, zap & stir
    a few seconds at a time.  Steamed vegetables are good as long as they don't get overcooked.  Cheese dip is great fixed in the microwave.

Most everything else we throw on the grill to cook 
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 07:10:43 (permalink)
    We use the MW to rewarm coffee, some thawing, and we have a foolproof recipe for making hollandaise sauce in the MW. 

In a suitably sized plastic container, place your butter, egg yolks and lemon juice (sometimes some white pepper and/or mustard)and zap for 10 seconds, stir, zap 10 sec., stir, zap 10 sec, stir. Done - great Hollandaise in less than a minute.

Cheers, John 
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 07:14:35 (permalink)
    I just have to say there is no way a microwaved potato tastes the same as a oven roasted/baked potato.

Not even close....

Now I do like bacon done in the microwave.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 07:57:37 (permalink)
    We do bacon all the time in the microwave. Occasionally a baked potato. I use it for defrosting and to cook vegetables sometimes. We use ours often for heating up leftovers too.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 07:59:46 (permalink)
    bartl

sk bob baked potatoes...in other words,waved spuds.

To expand on MiamiDon, those of us who scrub the potatoes and bake them without wrapping them in foil first love the crunchy skins and the well-baked potato underneath. You do not get that in a microwave. Also, the texture is just not the same.

Now, this is not to say that the products is bad. Just not the same.

Exactly!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 08:27:17 (permalink)
    I soak two paper towels in water wrap around the corn, husks and all, nuke for about 3 - 4 minutes.  The husks and silks practically fall off.  Kids mostly use it for heating up Jimmy Dean breakfast stuff and quick lunches.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 08:42:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Hollanaise John----will give it a go next time the asparagras are cheap.  .

Bailey, old boy, glad to hear your using the MW, if you don't use it you lose it, or is that meant for something else ?  Too early to think.

All those who cook their corn and bacon -- try broccoli ----even George Bush senior likes it this way----florets only-(use stems to make great cream of broccoli soup---
    waste not want not------)  Florets in dish with just a sprinkle of water---about a tablespoon----zap for 6 minutes----add a dab or two of butter on top-----add salt after cooking if needed.  Sure beats that soggy, grAY, tasteless stuff I remember.

Baked potatoes ----- I never bake potatoes because a MW just doesn'r bake. 
    If I have a roast beef or roast chicken or roast pork in the oven then I have baked potatoes.  But, if I am making home fries or something I often cook the spuds in the MW and then add them to a frying pan with onions cooked in olive oil.  Boiling potatoes in a pot of water is a waste of gas/electric, takes too much time and makes potatoes soggy if over done. 

A Potato baking thing I learned is-----wash and let dry, then apply olive oil to skin,
    do not poke holes in the skin because that lets steam escape -----when done remove. wrap your hand with cloth towel and give potato a Karate chop-- the skin breaks (or your hand) and the insides pop out white and puffy.  A thing of beauty. 
    Tastes good too.
    porkbeaks
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 09:05:02 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner 
    ..............A Potato baking thing I learned is-----wash and let dry, then apply olive oil to skin, 
    do not poke holes in the skin because that lets steam escape  -----when done remove. wrap your hand with cloth towel and give potato a Karate chop-- the skin breaks (or your hand) and the insides pop out white and puffy.  A thing of beauty. 
    Tastes good too.

Everything I've ever read about making the perfect baked potato tells me that you should pierce the skin several times because you want the steam to escape. It makes for a fluffier potato and prevents possible blow-ups in the oven.  pb 

post edited by porkbeaks - 2010/07/08 09:06:52
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 09:44:50 (permalink)
    Panic defrost a litre of stock, boil a quick cup of water for that before bed ramen noodle pack cause I'm too tired to eat anything else.

Baked potatoes better nuked...no way ever had a nuked tater that had a crisp skin? 
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 11:22:15 (permalink)

Dear Rod from Bangkok

Ramen Noodle Pack has oodles of noodles I understand------
    But---Even the former King of Siam
    and Anna, his school marm. took time to eat something healthier. 

And----we have agreed on the fact that you can not get a good baked potato
    from a MW -----it is impossible---actually MicroWave Oven is a misnomer---it is
    not an oven --it does the work of a cooktop----eliminates all that water boiling
    and pan frying------the world is in a process of elimination it would appear.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 11:25:23 (permalink)
    porkbeaks

tcrouzer

I husk the ears, chill them, brush with melted butter, wrap with wax paper (twist the ends), and nuke on high for 7-8 minutes (4ears).  Comes out perfect every time.  pb

You can also wrap them in plastic wrap if you poke some holes in it, or just leave a layer or two of husks on them.  It only takes 2 -3 minutes on our MW.

plb
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 11:51:00 (permalink)
    ditto n the crab legs, but i wrap them in wet paper towels and zap.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 12:05:18 (permalink)
    Melting butter and chocolate. Making Simple Syrup. Popcorn. Bacon works ok but I like the oven better. Boiling water. It is a waste of space in my kitchen. I will try the ear of corn....Russ

Can you get the smell of fish and crab out of it when you do it?
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/07/08 12:06:30
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 13:57:57 (permalink)
    I use the MW to cook some vegetables, notably asparagus and broccoli. It is also good for softening chopped onions, peppers, and celery to add to a recipe.

Here is a tip for reheating beef. The microwave makes beef taste rancid to me, so I heat a bowl of water in the MW, put the beef in a plastic bag and submerge it. In a few seconds the beef is warm and still tastes good.
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Anyone here really use their microwave for serious cooking? 2010/07/08 14:22:56 (permalink)
    i have done turkeys,chicken and prime rib in a micro .also cook cassaroles then finish in a reg oven
    the meat comes out a lot juicer.we were on a houseboat with only a micro for thanksgiving did the whole dinnr in the micro the turkey was really juicey but the skin looked bad no brownig but when it was skined and carved it was  great.one of the best prime ribs i ever had when i was about 10 my dad cooked it in a radar range.it was one of the first micro ovens and it cost over 1500 . i start alot of things in the micro and finish in the oven to brown.one of the best ovens i have used is a combo micro-convection oven it cooks fast and browns at the same time 15 -20 min for a chicken. the key is the browning in the reg oven as beef looks gray
    and the poultry looks boiled.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1