Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania

Author
debodun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2011/09/25 09:39:55 (permalink)

Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania

I am planning a trip there in a few weeks and have been looking for info on some good places to eat. Online reviews vary so much in patron satisfaction and may also be outdated as places close and other open. Any forum members from around there that can recommend a few good restaurants?

6 Replies Related Threads

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/26 11:57:19 (permalink)
    We stayed in Jim Thorpe for a day or two a few years back, and I didn't succeed at finding extraordinary food.

We stayed at the Victori-Ann bed and breakfast, which was pretty enough, but had an unwelcoming attitude from the proprietor.

I recall that we ate dinner at Moya; it was pretty good in an upscale nouveau-American way, but didn't do anything to separate itself from the pack of upscale nouveau-American restaurants.

I'm sorry I can't give you any enthusiastic recommendations; my hope is that this will serve as a subtle bump to attract the attention of someone with good suggestions.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/26 12:18:15 (permalink)
    I wouldn't count on finding anything to write home about.  The restaurants have a high turnover of ownership.  You might do better in the smaller surrounding towns.

I hear that they have their very own Coffee Nazi(Strange Brew).  He insults just about everyone that comes through the door.  That might be more fun than the Asa Packer mansion Tour!
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/26 16:24:51 (permalink)
    There aren't any.  Zero,zip, nada. 
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/27 19:46:22 (permalink)
    I live nearby, but haven't been there for several years. Sorry. That being said, I don't think you'll get bad food. But you won't find anything unique, either. For standard fine dining, Macaluso's Lantern in Nesquehoning is pretty decent. Nothing amazing, but good food at moderate prices.
    AkiSusko
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/30 13:13:35 (permalink)
    Check out the new (adjacent to the , here are their ) or the newly-opened and their menus that range from pub sandwiches to tasty dinner entrees. , named after the head chef’s hometown in Ecuador, serves elegant food, in a casual, painterly atmosphere (you’ll see what we mean).
    The is known not only for its excellent food and the diversity of its , but for its English Tea. The helped begin the emergence of outstanding food in Jim Thorpe when it opened in 1990 and is well-known for its 24-ounce steak. 
    Or simply pull in for some inexpensive Italian entrees or pizza at Antonio’s. Talk about surprises – it’s excellent.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum is , a combination restaurant and gallery, built in a beautifully refurbished stone wire factory, with a friendly bar and fine, farm-to-table food.
    Speaking of Italian, a couple of minutes outside of Jim Thorpe is a special jewel of a place called . A favorite haunt of local politicians and businesspeople,  its innovative Italian and Continental dishes are served in a relaxed and newly-renovated dining room adjacent to a lively bar area. It’s an easy three-mile jaunt from Jim Thorpe you won’t regret.
    Back in town, be sure to visit Rainbow’s End, an old-fashioned candy store that my city friends repeatedly notice has especially good chocolate and licorice, along with all sorts of other treats, including an ice cream stand. Not to mention the friendly service that comes with the goodies.
    And that could be said of all these establishments. You’re welcome here.
    AkiSusko
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Anyone know a few good places to eat in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 2011/09/30 13:14:15 (permalink)
    Check out the new Broadway Grille (adjacent to the Inn at Jim Thorpe, here are their enticing daily specials) or the newly-opened Bear Appetit and their menus that range from pub sandwiches to tasty dinner entrees. Moya, named after the head chef’s hometown in Ecuador, serves elegant food, in a casual, painterly atmosphere (you’ll see what we mean).
    The Albright Mansion is known not only for its excellent food and the diversity of its wine list, but for its English Tea. The New Mollie Maguire’s Pub and Steakhouse helped begin the emergence of outstanding food in Jim Thorpe when it opened in 1990 and is well-known for its 24-ounce steak. 
    Or simply pull in for some inexpensive Italian entrees or pizza at Antonio’s. Talk about surprises – it’s excellent.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum is Flow, a combination restaurant and gallery, built in a beautifully refurbished stone wire factory, with a friendly bar and fine, farm-to-table food.
    Speaking of Italian, a couple of minutes outside of Jim Thorpe is a special jewel of a place called Macaluso’s at the Lantern. A favorite haunt of local politicians and businesspeople,  its innovative Italian and Continental dishes are served in a relaxed and newly-renovated dining room adjacent to a lively bar area. It’s an easy three-mile jaunt from Jim Thorpe you won’t regret.
    Back in town, be sure to visit Rainbow’s End, an old-fashioned candy store that my city friends repeatedly notice has especially good chocolate and licorice, along with all sorts of other treats, including an ice cream stand. Not to mention the friendly service that comes with the goodies.
    And that could be said of all these establishments. You’re welcome here.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1