Anyone know when chipped beef became regional?

Author
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
2006/06/07 19:16:42 (permalink)

Anyone know when chipped beef became regional?

I love to snack on chipped beef - when I was a kid (far too many years ago), this seemed to me to be a universally available food that everyone in the country knew about, yet as I've grown older and traveled, it seems to me that it is only available in certain parts of the east coast (particularly in the Baltimore area, where you can only find Esskay chipped beef). Anyone know more about why this is such a regional meat product? Beef jerky just doesn't come close to the goodness of chipped beef in my opinion.

27 Replies Related Threads

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/07 20:48:58 (permalink)
    Thanks. It's on the grocery list. I don't know why, but we haven't fixed it in years.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18861
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/07 21:03:29 (permalink)
    I have to admit that I've never heard of chipped beef in any form other than creamed chipped beef on toast, or SOS.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/07 22:23:14 (permalink)
    It was avalible World Wide in the U.S.Navy. Chow Jim
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/07 22:30:21 (permalink)
    I'm in SW Ohio and I'm fairly sure I've seen this in grocery stores. I'll try to remember to doublecheck next time I'm there.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/07 22:50:18 (permalink)
    It's definitely available in eastern PA. I usually buy it at the farmers' markets, where it's available either sliced or "chipped". Most of the deli departments of the grocery stores have it available to be sliced along with the other cold cuts. It's also available in 3 or 4 oz. packages near the hot dogs. My favorite brand is Alderfer's.

I don't believe it was ever available in all parts of the U.S. except in those clear glass jars. Putting it in a cream sauce was about the only way to cut the excessive saltiness of that type. There was also a popular recipe in the late 50's - early 60's for chicken breasts wrapped in dried beef and baked in a low heat oven in a cream of mushroom soup sauce that shows up in community cookbooks of that era from various parts of the country.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/08 16:30:58 (permalink)
    I remember the dry, salty taste right out of the bag, or served with cheese and crackers as well as the SOS version of dried beef. Here in florida we can only find it in small jars, its $$$$$$$ and nowhere as good as that remembered from s.jersey's vacpacks
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 03:58:47 (permalink)
    SOS---That is the only way I have ever had chipped beef..
    I used to buy the dried stuff in the jar, and then make my own white sauce and toss it on some toast.
    My step-dad, old navy salt, loved it when I did that and always gave me the thumbs up.
    Of course, I got that cooking tip from my mom, and she used to make it for my dad, then for her 2nd husband---.. An ol' Air Force Sgt...
    Never bought the stuff premade. That was my first introduction as to how to make a white sauce..
    But I bet she never made it with as much love as she did for my dad!
    I bet that is one of the reasons I have high blood pressure now..
    All those years of mom making that for my dad and us eating it..
    Wow..
    Yanno?
    I can really go for it now!
    Hmm... 4 AM, and full of wine..
    Original SOS.. that is a treat!
    I dont think it is a regional thing at all!
    RubyRose
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 07:14:00 (permalink)
    Here's how we buy it at the Allentown PA Fairgrounds market. The white bin to the right of the arm contains chipped dried beef in front and sliced in the rear.

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 08:24:49 (permalink)
    One jar purchased also fresh whole milk along with a loaf of white bread. It's what's for supper.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 10:51:39 (permalink)
    I remember my mom making things out of chiped beef as a kid in Texas. It was not the stuff in the jar that is $$ like Dreams said, and I am not so crazy about it. No bags of chipped beef near the hot dogs that I have seen here in Texas. I wonder if there is a good chipped beef available on the net, maybe the Alderfer's that Ruby mentioned? After reading this I am hungry for some.
    Joe
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 11:25:27 (permalink)
    If you soak the stuff that comes in a jar in a little water while you make the cream sauce the saltyness goes away.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 11:32:51 (permalink)
    Stouffers makes a good frozen version of the product, it's only enough for one person and if I recall it's about $3.25 per box. Much cheaper to make yourself if you have several eating it, which, I usually do. My 9 year old loves the stuff.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 12:16:51 (permalink)
    look for it as "Dried Beef".............. it's every where

Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 12:43:08 (permalink)
    I didn't know it had become regional: I remember it from childhood in New Mexico, adulthood in Tennessee, and now early (I hope!) senescence in Louisiana. A twist is that in my part of Louisiana, "chipped beef" on a sandwich shop menu means something much closer to, if not identical with, Sloppy Joe. Go figger!

We often buy Stouffer's frozen packages and serve them on buttered and toasted English muffins. If this be heresy, make the most of it!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 12:46:30 (permalink)
    I have had the Hormell in the jars but not the Armour in the bag. That is not to say it's not sold here somewhere in north Tx. Fp, thanks for the pics. I wonder if the Armour is beter than the jars?

Ruby, is the Alderfers way beter than these two brands? And, how do you make it for your son?

Bob, thanks for the soaking tip.

Would some of you mind sharing the cream sauce recipe?
    Joe
    RubyRose
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 13:11:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

look for it as "Dried Beef".............. it's every where

I'm not trying to be picky but if you read the small print on these packages, the product is "ground and formed", much like the beef in Arby's sandwiches. The dried beef in the picture I posted is from one cut of beef and the type that's in the packages is also available at the same booth but it's called "dried beef loaf" and looks similar when sliced but the taste and texture are as far apart as an Arby's beef sandwich and one from Mr. Beef.
    RubyRose
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 13:19:42 (permalink)
    I had posted this here a couple of years ago but still make it the old PA Dutch way:

Most times nowadays in PA diners and family restaurants, they make a vast vat of white sauce and mix some dried beef in it for breakfast and then use the rest, mixed with pan drippings, to make that turkey, pork or beef gravy to slather over hot sandwiches and mashed potatoes for the lunch crowd. But there are still a few bastions of the traditional browned flour method, like the once-a-month semi-buffet breakfast at the Gap PA V.F.W.

CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF (aka DRIED BEEF GRAVY)

6 - 8 oz. chipped or sliced dried beef
    1/ 4 cup butter
    3 Tbsp. flour
    1 12oz. can evaporated milk
    1 cup milk
    1/ 8 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
    1/ 8 tsp. pepper

If you only have access to dried beef oozing salt packaged in little jars, don’t despair. The salt just means the dried beef is old. Wipe off as much salt as you can with paper towels but don’t rinse or soak it. If you have a patient butcher who has chipped a big hunk of smoked and dried beef into little shreds, you’ll be ready for perfection. If it is purchased sliced, cut it into 1/ 2 inch square pieces (a child with blunt-edged scissors is the perfect instrument for the job).

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the dried beef and begin to saute over medium-high heat. When the beef starts to frizzle, add flour and stir thoroughly to coat dried beef. Continue stirring and cooking, turning heat down to medium if needed, until flour is a golden brown color. The flour should be browned to about the color of a the bottom crust of a piece of Wonder (or equivalent spongy) white bread. Add evaporated milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 7 minutes. Add milk, stir, and continue to cook over medium-low heat until thickened, about 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt to taste (although salt isn’t usually needed). Serve over toast or fried potatoes with toast quarters on the side.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 13:21:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I have had the Hormell in the jars but not the Armour in the bag. That is not to say it's not sold here somewhere in north Tx. Fp, thanks for the pics. I wonder if the Armour is beter than the jars?

Ruby, is the Alderfers way beter than these two brands? And, how do you make it for your son?

Bob, thanks for the soaking tip.

Would some of you mind sharing the cream sauce recipe?
    Joe

Follow the recipe for medium white sauce on the Argo(or your favorite brand)corn starch box and double the recipe, add chopped dried beef last(I add a shot of garlic powder), let simmer to bring the flavors together. We prefer ours over toast. You could make the sauce from scratch by making a roux with flour/butter add scalded milk. Cornstarch is just a little quicker IMO.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 13:54:01 (permalink)
    I don't really have a recipe. Melt a stick of butter in a sauce pan, dump in about the same amount of flour, stir to combine, let it cook for a few minutes, stirring the whole time. Before the flour starts to brown dump in enough milk to make 2 to 4 servings, when the sauce starts to thicken, pour the water off the beef, cut it into strips and put the sliced beef into the white sauce. Heat the beef and serve over white bread toasted a medium brown. Somewhere in the process I usually add a little pepper.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 14:03:24 (permalink)
    Our sauce is pretty much like Bob's but we use a little cheddar too.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/09 14:23:52 (permalink)
    These people don't call their product dried beef but everyone I know who eats it does.

http://www.wimmersmeats.com/products.html
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/10 04:13:34 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Roadrash, you brought back memories.
    My mom would make white gravy with chipped beef. We would
    break up bread and pour it over the bread chunks. So good.
    In my senior year at high school, my girl friend would
    bring chipped beef sandwiches that she shared with me.
    Chipped beef sandwiches, a ho-ho, and chocolate milk. I
    miss them and her very much. Thanks for jolting my memory
    of a pleasant time.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/10 07:06:57 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8,
    I can suggest two places that have mail order and a very good product. I have been to both of them and bought the product many times.
    Although they are a bit pricey the quality is excellent.
    Web sites can be found at stoltzfusmeats.com and seltzersbologna.com
    Enjoy!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/10 12:59:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for tha recips yall! And for the links to some good chipped/dried, or whatever you call it, beef. Yes, good memories for me also. Hmmm, maybe this dish didn't become regional? But I guess since not mant restaurants around the country serve it, maybe it is. I don't remember ever seing on a menue here in Texas.
    Joe
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/10 13:55:29 (permalink)
    Here in Cincinnati, it is most often purchased from Buddig Meats at any local supermarket

http://www.buddig.com/home.html

The Buddigs are big local philantropists....much of the Cincinnati Zoo bears the Buddig name

Here's a pic of their standard product - little packs of ultrathin sliced meats that run about 69-89 cents usually. The beef is on the far left, and is the same stuff I use in a family get-together cheeseball

arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/10 17:51:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Here in Cincinnati, it is most often purchased from Buddig Meats at any local supermarket

http://www.buddig.com/home.html

The Buddigs are big local philantropists....much of the Cincinnati Zoo bears the Buddig name

Here's a pic of their standard product - little packs of ultrathin sliced meats that run about 69-89 cents usually. The beef is on the far left, and is the same stuff I use in a family get-together cheeseball

Ah yes, that's where I've seen it, the Buddig brand stuff. Supermarkets here also carry the Hormel stuff in the glass jar, too. While we never eat SOS at home, I've had dried/chipped beef as an ingredient in the abovementioned cheeseballs with onions or scallions, or spread with cream cheese, rolled up and sliced into rounds as an appetizer.
    Avidangler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anyone know when chipped beef became regional? 2006/06/17 20:44:35 (permalink)
    Voget Meats Inc. in Hubbard, Oregon is a 3rd generation specialty meat house in business since 1952. They make the best chipped beef I have ever tasted. Very flavorful and not too salty. They will ship anywhere but you have to call them to order as they don't have a website. Their # is 503-981-6271.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1