Anyone remember Red Barn?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/08/10 12:22:54 (permalink)
There are two Red Barns in the Tidewater area of Virginia that are still operating as Red Barn stores/gas stations.
One's in Grafton on the corner of Denbigh Blvd. and Rt. 17
and the other in in Newport News on Jefferson Ave. just east of
J. Clyde Morris Blvd.

I can't remember if they sell burgers or fish sandwiches etc.

Cathy
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/08/10 15:42:43 (permalink)
Cathy,

Could you fed-ex me a Barn Buster? Pleeeeez?
R. Rich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/08/18 14:16:46 (permalink)
Aw man, you guys are bringing back GOOD memories!

I remember going to Red Barn locations in my home town of Erie Pa. I remember they had very good chicken and they had what I still say were THE BEST french fries I've ever had @ a fast food restaurant!

I've had the Barnbuster.net site bookmarked for over a year now. Too bad that one in Ohio closed and was knocked down. I would've loved to go and have some Red Barn food just once more.

I guess I can hold out hope that maybe one day, someone will resurrect this franchise!
FranklySpeaking
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/08/18 15:34:41 (permalink)
There used to be two Red Barns in Syracuse. One was on Erie Blvd E near Teall Ave. I can remmeber buying so many Big Barneys just to get a set of Coke glasses.
The other was up on University Hill across from the Varsity.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/08/22 13:44:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Cathy,

Could you fed-ex me a Barn Buster? Pleeeeez?

I've not been in one since I started reading this board, so I don't know if the still make any of their sandwiches y'all are describing.
I'll check through.

don't know about Fed-exing....

Cathy
SWOhioGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/09/06 10:01:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Barnbuster

Originally posted by Barnbuster

I never thought I would see the day that people are talking about the RED BARN 30 years after the chain shut down. My parents were on the ground floor of the RED BARN System, and I have saved a ton of items from the RED BARN. My friends have told me many times to post a site with my items, but I wonder who would look at it? SOOO the link below will take you to the only known site of The RED BARN fast food chain. Over the next few weeks I will post everything that will fit on my server, from give aways to corp. papers and even blue prints.

NEW UPDATES AS OF 12/30/03
http://barnbuster.homestead.com/index.html[/quote

As many of you requested, I have found and posted the 'Hungries Song' on my Red Barn site. I have sent copies to many of you, and if anyone else wants a personal copy (I don't know why!), please contact me via my web site at: http://barnbuster.homestead.com/index.html
Or e-mail me: cornute@att.net
I have also posted lobby photos from the 70's, these are a real hoot! Merry Christmas!

Hi Barnbuster!

Thanks for the RED BARN website - I just saw it!!

I grew up around Sharon, PA, and remember getting the fried chicken with Mom, Dad, and my brother at the State St location.

I guess I gotta disagree with you a bit regarding the current state of the building....yeah, it's been repainted, but it's still there, being cared for, still serving food (not bad Mexican food at all, by the way), and still with the signature-shape sign! At least it's not selling used cars, cell phones, or <gasp!> Arby's (nothing against Arby's, but imagine McD's taking over an old BK - bad juju).

:-)

Thanks again!!!!

-SWOG
Fcarter2005
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/10 13:41:02 (permalink)
I grew up in Washington DC. and I remember at least 2 different Red Barn locations in our area. One location on Marlboro Pike, just outside of D.C. in Capitol Heights, Md. (now a convenience store) and the other also located just outside the city on St. Barnabas Road in Temple Hills Md. (I believe this one is a dinner now) My dad woul take me there when I was a kid in the mid to late 70's. I seem to remember they had really good fried chicken.
jbtorrico
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/27 13:10:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by drpep

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by RockyB

I also remember a Red Barn on the main drag in Corning, New York.

It is still there painted blue and the home of Pudgies Pizza.
jbtorrico
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/27 13:13:06 (permalink)
quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by RockyB

I grew up in the Corning, NY area also and remember the Red Barn. It was there long before McDonald's and BK and was much better. The fish fillet sandwich was pretty darned good too and they had onion rings.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18634
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/27 13:49:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jbtorrico

quote:

I grew up in the Corning, NY area also and remember the Red Barn. It was there long before McDonald's and BK and was much better. The fish fillet sandwich was pretty darned good too and they had onion rings.

What is this doing here? Obviously, this thread is about a fast-food chain.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/27 13:54:49 (permalink)
This is a building near the corner of 14th and Vine - a very rough part of town - just north of downtown Cincinnati. It was described some months back by some other poster here as a former Red Barn location

Take a look

Note the weathervane with rooster at the top of the roof.

Was this indeed a Red Barn, by the looks of it?

Edit: err, I think I can answer my own question - yes, it does indeed appear to be a former Red Barn location, based on the pics on the barnbusters.net website

see: http://www.barnbuster.net/page4.html
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/28 00:01:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

This is a building near the corner of 14th and Vine - a very rough part of town - just north of downtown Cincinnati. It was described some months back by some other poster here as a former Red Barn location

Take a look

Note the weathervane with rooster at the top of the roof.

Was this indeed a Red Barn, by the looks of it?

Edit: err, I think I can answer my own question - yes, it does indeed appear to be a former Red Barn location, based on the pics on the barnbusters.net website

see: http://www.barnbuster.net/page4.html

Trust me. This was a Red Barn. I ate there once as a kid. My grandfather sold paint at a store just down the street.
BTW, thanks for the link. I love sites like that one.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/28 00:51:43 (permalink)
np Wallyum.

I wish I could remember having such an experience....

was this part of town safer back then? Very nervous walking through there today.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/10/28 05:23:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

np Wallyum.

I wish I could remember having such an experience....

was this part of town safer back then? Very nervous walking through there today.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you must have a hefty set. It wasn't the greatest back then, but it's really scary now. (And they wonder why no one hangs out downtown anymore. )
Like I said, I was very young, but I don't remember it making much of an impression. It might be the single worst location for a fast food establishment that I've ever seen.
jibmeister
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2005/12/13 21:32:55 (permalink)
I grew up and still live in Erie, Pa, where we had 5 or 6 RED BARN restaurants. I loved their fried chicken and thought it was the best at the time. The local RED BARNS were owned by a local businessman named Russell Robison who later became the county executive of Erie County Pa. He also owned the local SERVOMATION vending franchise after he folded the RED BARNS. I loved the little boxes that the meals came in because as a child I would cleaned them up and play with them with my cars, ( the boxes doubled as mini barns) and they were sooo cool. I am glad to know there are people who still remember them and wish there was a web page dedicated to long lost restaurants such as the RED BARN. P.S. anyone remember CARROLLS restaurant, they were famous for their orange shakes.
metalchick73
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/02/13 22:42:07 (permalink)
I grew up a block away from a Red Barn in Cortland, NY. It was located on Tompkins St. at the location that up until recently was a Jreck Subs. Jreck has since closed and there are rumors that the Mobil station next door will be expanding and taking over this location. I'll have to try to get a picture of the building for the Red barn site sometime soon - in case they demolish the building.

As a child nothing beat playing outside and always being able to smell the Red Barn fries from a block away. Best fries ever! I will never forget that awesome aroma! I miss that place!
fivemile13
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/02/21 10:08:12 (permalink)
I remember at least two additional Red Barn restaurants in Rochester, NY, aside from the Chili Ave. location mentioned earlier. I believe there is still a building on East Main St., across from East High School. I also remember a Red Barn that we went to often on West Ridge Rd. between Dewey & Mt. Read. I certainly remembered the theme song. That was a fun place to go, and I'm glad so many people remember them fondly. If I can snap a picture of the remaining building that I know of, I'll send it in.
Big Dave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/02/22 21:03:51 (permalink)
Updated info on the Youngstown, Ohio area stores. This is to the best of my knowledge.

Boardman, Poland, Mahoning Ave (Warren), Niles -Demolished

West Market St (Warren) Independant eatery with daytime hours only (bad area)

There was one on Lincoln Ave near Youngstown State University. It closed in the 70's. Rumors were that the police shut it down (unconfirmed). I think the barn still stands. Last I saw it, it may have been a hair salon.

Austintown, still Jay's Hot dogs.

I haven't seen any of the others.

Sharon, PA's location was converted to a Farm, but it died quickly. It was used for several years as a takeout location for Quaker Steak and Lube. The renovations seen on Barnbuster.net were done so they could put classic cars on the roof. I did a drive-by last time I was north, but didn't have that good a look.
Julbutterfly
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/03/06 11:19:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ladytenor

Yes, the Red Barn in Columbus IN was a frequent stop for us growing up. Excellent burgers and fries...and the milkshakes were about the best I have ever had. There was also one in Louisville, KY. The one in Louisville burned and the Columbus one closed, I'm not sure if the building still exists or if it has been torn down and replaced with something else.

OMG! I remember the Louisville Red Barn as if it were yesterday! I will be 37 soon and when I was about 5 or 6 years old my older brother came home from being away in the Army and he & our mom took us all to the Red Barn. Those hamburgers were so GOOD. They melted in your mouth and not to mention the toasted part of the bun just made them that much better! I think that is why I love Steak N Shake Restaurants so much. They still toast their buns too! Wow I love this thread and am happy to have finally found some info on Red Barn. YAY... Nothing like Red Barn hamburgers.

I also am wondering if there are any Burger Chef Restaurants left, and if anyone remembers those? They also had toasted buns with flame broiled burgers, (which turned into Burger King I believe) YUMMY! The best ever next to Red Barn's, of course. My sister says one still exist in Kentucky, but I don't agree. Any info?
R. Rich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/07/21 10:18:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jibmeister

I grew up and still live in Erie, Pa, where we had 5 or 6 RED BARN restaurants. I loved their fried chicken and thought it was the best at the time. The local RED BARNS were owned by a local businessman named Russell Robison who later became the county executive of Erie County Pa. He also owned the local SERVOMATION vending franchise after he folded the RED BARNS. I loved the little boxes that the meals came in because as a child I would cleaned them up and play with them with my cars, ( the boxes doubled as mini barns) and they were sooo cool. I am glad to know there are people who still remember them and wish there was a web page dedicated to long lost restaurants such as the RED BARN. P.S. anyone remember CARROLLS restaurant, they were famous for their orange shakes.

Another Erieite, eh?

Yeah, I rememebr Carroll's. The one that was just down the street from my grandparents' place, near the old Kohler brewery? Good, but no Red Barn.

One day, someone will bring this great franchise back. I hope.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/07/24 18:45:42 (permalink)
I thought I was the only person who preferred Red Barn to anything BK or McDonalds offered. Always had Barnbusters or broasted chicken after Boardman High School basketball games in Youngstown, Ohio.
andyh40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/07/25 14:38:40 (permalink)
I have fond memories of The Red Barn in Springfield Ohio in the 60's and 70's. I really loved their hot dogs, that use to come in the split top bun. Soooooo good. I just recently learned on that Branbusters website that the RB in Springfield O. was the first!
propertydamage
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/05 19:48:03 (permalink)
I only stopped in one location years ago near Sharon, PA but I don't honestly remember my experience there. My wife went to college in Edinboro, PA and there was one there! She and many of her college friends refered to it at "Dead Barn". Obviously refering to the quality of the meals there.
Ffreeck
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/08 19:53:15 (permalink)
Well I never had a burger at any of the Red Barn reastaurant. However, for anyone that lives in Detroit, you could allways see driving down Jefferson a barn shaped building. I'm pretty sure that was a Red Barn restaurant. Also, I heard of one somewhere on W. 8 Mile rd., also, in the Detroit area
welch2112
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/12 00:24:39 (permalink)
Hi Pwingsx - You mentioned Roman Village... Are you talking about Roman Village Pizza in Boulder by any chance?

I'm asking because I wanted to know if you know what happened to them? They had the best deep dish square pizza I ever tasted. Did you go there often? I knew some people that worked there....

Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/12 13:58:19 (permalink)
Hi Welch,

Yup, I was talking about Roman Village in Boulder, and you're right, that square pizza was fabulous. I don't know how long ago they left Boulder.

I used to go there a lot in the late 70's when I was in high school. It was a favorite after football games at Boulder High. That and Happy Joe's Pizza down on Valmont. And the Dark Horse is still there. What a dive that was and still is. Wonderful stuff.
welch2112
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/14 00:27:53 (permalink)
Hi Pwingsx- Thanks for your note. So Roman Village is no more. What a shame! It was fun reminiscing though. If anyone else out there stumbles on some info about what happened to Roman Village Pizza please post it. Thanks!
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/14 10:01:56 (permalink)
We had a Red Barn in Niagara Falls on NF Blvd, near LaSalle Senior High - I remember that it had good food, and was real convenient for after school snacks.

There was also had one in East Lansing near MSU that was open really late - we went in there one Sunday Morning, about 2 AM or so, and started asking everyone if they thought there might have been any speed in what they took Saturday night (we're talking 1971 Abbott Hall guys here).
JohnnyB72
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/24 12:39:51 (permalink)
Wow! How I love the internet! I was just telling my wife about Red Barn, and I wondered what ever became of it. A Google search landed me here.

I remember Red Barn growing up in the '70's in Casper, Wyoming. RB was the dominant chain in town, behind McDonald's at least. At one time there were four RB locations in Casper. I don't think any other fast food chains have ever had more than two locations in the small city of 50K.

In Wyoming, all of the Red Barn restaurants were re-branded "Peaches." That probably happened around 1980, when the franchisee apparently decided to break off. The food was still good but one by one the locations started closing. I looked and saw that there is still one Peaches restaurant open.

I'm up in Casper right now visiting my parents. Maybe I can persuade them to go to Peaches for lunch today.

JN
JohnnyB72
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? 2006/08/25 01:43:14 (permalink)

Well, it didn't take too much persuading. We went there for lunch. It hadn't changed much from the old Peaches I remember. What I think was the Barn Buster has long been and still is the Rancher at Peaches. The fries are thick-cut and lightly seasoned. They also still offer fried chicken, but the menu has morphed into one like you'd find at an independent burger joint--soups, a variety of sandwiches etc.

But it's nice to go back to a building that probably hasn't changed in 30 years. All the discussion on this thread definitely brings back really old and fond memories, especially the salad and sundae bars.

Was it Red Barn that had the jingle "I can get a sundae, even on a Monday?" Or was that someone else?

JN
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1