Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY?

Author
HughYeman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/02/24 11:33:26 (permalink)

Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY?

As I do every so often I'm fondly recalling Smitty's, a little diner that used to live right next to the Pizza Hut just north of Hamilton, NY. The Smitty Burger, a 1/4 pound burger with swiss, bacon, and etc. was the best burger I'd ever had, and the curly fries were out of this world.

I don't recall exactly when it changed ownership and so was Smitty's no more, but I think it was around 1990 give or take a few years. Anyone remember it?

*Sigh*. I miss that place.

4 Replies Related Threads

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY? 2005/02/24 11:53:45 (permalink)
    If it changed hands it must have been after 1994 because that's when I graduated from Colgate. I ate my very first meal in Hamilton at Smitty's and I didn't find too many better meals than that one as I got the exact one you described - Smitty burger and curly fries. Are you a fellow Red Raider?

There were quite a few other good places to eat in and around Hamilton though none had a burger better than Smitty's.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    RE: Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY? 2005/02/24 12:09:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

If it changed hands it must have been after 1994 because that's when I graduated from Colgate.

Oh wow... that's weird. I was thinking it changed hands before I graduated from college in '92. I guess not.

quote:

I ate my very first meal in Hamilton at Smitty's and I didn't find too many better meals than that one as I got the exact one you described - Smitty burger and curly fries. Are you a fellow Red Raider?

No, I went to Cornell. I know Hamilton really well, though, because I grew up in Oneida and various things brought me over Hamilton way. My Mom used to sell baked goods and crafts in the farmer's market they had in the town square on Saturdays.

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY? 2005/02/24 12:24:54 (permalink)
    Ok, well maybe it did change hands before I graduated but we just kept calling it Smitty's. I drank a lot in those days so it's possible that I'm remembering it wrong.

I loved the farmer's market in Hamilton. I could usually find some great maple syrup there to take home to my folks when I visited.

If you spent some time over near Hamilton, did you ever eat at any of the following places:

OCD (Off Campus Deli)
    The Annex
    Pizza Plus (in Earlville)
    New York Pizzeria
    Ye Olde Pizza Pub

I'm sure there were others but these are the ones I remember eating at the most.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    RE: Anyone remember Smitty's in Hamilton, NY? 2005/02/24 13:10:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04
    If you spent some time over near Hamilton, did you ever eat at any of the following places:

OCD (Off Campus Deli)
    The Annex
    Pizza Plus (in Earlville)
    New York Pizzeria
    Ye Olde Pizza Pub

I'm sure there were others but these are the ones I remember eating at the most.

The only one of those I ate at was Ye Olde Pizza Pub. I went there with my family one time, and we weren't too impressed.

I don't suppose you ever made it over to Oneida, did you? Pepi's Pizza in Oneida is kind of the grand old man of pizza joints around those parts. New York Pizzeria in Sherrill is also excellent.

-Hugh
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1