Appitizers for a gathering??

Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
2004/11/28 12:11:15 (permalink)

Appitizers for a gathering??

What kind of appitizers are your favorites?? Which apps would you choose before Christmas dinner??? I decided to purchase 2 boxes of Williams and Sonoma's assorted Empanadas, Shrimp cocktail and i think i'll make mushroom brusetta I found in a Bon Appetit magazine. I tend to go crazy on the apps so i will serve only three different kinds for a party of 10. Main entree a smoked 14 pound Ham with a mustard/chutney glaze from "Barefoot Contessa" Cookbook with homemade biscuits, potato gratin and Brocolli with a Sonoma hot pepper jack cheese fondue on top. Dessert is a choice between a Yule log cake, midnight Dream CHOC torte , Coconut Passion cake, Pumpkin Pie with fresh whipped cream with vanilla and assorted Petits fours. Drink?? Take your pick..full bar..champagne to martinis to Guiness to Baileys

10 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/28 17:19:07 (permalink)
    Just give us directions to your place, and we'll take care of the rest. Sounds like a heckuva party.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/28 19:13:03 (permalink)
    Wow. What a spread. Since you're serving petits fours, you have to invite me. All I can think to add would be our Yule season tradition, Bourbon Balls, as my Grandmother from Georgia used to make'em. If you want the recipe, just ask.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/28 20:59:59 (permalink)
    My family and I just took a vote.............we are far away from the rest of our family and none of them can come for Christmas so we will bring our standing rib roast and a couple of bottles of champagne to your place.................what is the address, please?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6803
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/28 22:42:51 (permalink)
    On our caterings, shrimp cocktail is definately the biggest hit of all, followed by gorgonzola fondue, rumaki, wild mushroom strudels and artichoke and spinach dip. My most popular appetizer in Boston was mini crab and lobster cakes.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 04:33:57 (permalink)
    I'm not sure this is relevant, but it works for us. My wife & I host a group of friends (we call them "the usual suspects," and have their email addresses grouped accordingly) about every six weeks. We provide everything, which gives us some control over the rowdy bunch. Booze of choice, though we bring the hard stuff out late after we see how the party's going. Lots of pseudo-Italian meats, since we have difficulty getting the real stuff: hot and mild cappa, assorted salame and other sausages (Italian, German, Cajun, merguez); spec, pancetta, prosciutto. Cheeses: St. Andre, a bunch of other imports with some emphasis on Irish & English stuff like assorted cheddars, double Gloucester, Stilton, port, Irish whiskey and brandy mixes.

You understand: there's no attempt at 'authenticity' or sophistication. This is just a bunch of friends gathering for booze and fellowhip.

Hope it helps.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 04:40:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I'm not sure this is relevant, but it works for us. My wife & I host a group of friends (we call them "the usual suspects," and have their email addresses grouped accordingly) about every six weeks. We provide everything, which gives us some control over the rowdy bunch. Booze of choice, though we bring the hard stuff out late after we see how the party's going. Lots of pseudo-Italian meats, since we have difficulty getting the real stuff: hot and mild cappa, assorted salame and other sausages (Italian, German, Cajun, merguez); spec, pancetta, prosciutto. Cheeses: St. Andre, a bunch of other imports with some emphasis on Irish & English stuff like assorted cheddars, double Gloucester, Stilton, port, Irish whiskey and brandy mixes.

You understand: there's no attempt at 'authenticity' or sophistication. This is just a bunch of friends gathering for booze and fellowhip.

Hope it helps.

RickF: Sounds like my kind of gathering. I like your choices. I like an occasional drink of Irish whiskey much more than Scotch but less than Canadian rye.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 12:08:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Just give us directions to your place, and we'll take care of the rest. Sounds like a heckuva party.

Ohhh thank you!!
    Everybody!! All ya all are invited!!
    First a huge game of flag football then...
    We'll feast and drink and be merry!!
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 12:12:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

My family and I just took a vote.............we are far away from the rest of our family and none of them can come for Christmas so we will bring our standing rib roast and a couple of bottles of champagne to your place.................what is the address, please?

Sounds devine!! Don't mind if i make some horseradish cream?? Head towards Central Ohio!! My husband loves rib roast

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 12:18:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

Hope it helps.

So who do i have to shoot to be one of these "usual suspects"
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Appitizers for a gathering?? 2004/11/29 19:39:11 (permalink)
    stuffed celery, black olives, deviled eggs-- the usual standards always work for me.. but sometimes i make a broccoli ring.. real easy to make-- and everyone likes it..i got the recipe from pampered chef and it's the easiest thing in the world to make.. it has broccoli- ham- swiss cheese and cresent rolls. (along with a little lemon juice and dijon mustard) that's all.. if you want the recipe i'd be glad to get it on here for you....it's so good my kids even like it!!:)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1