Apple Cider

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2008/09/13 17:39:54 (permalink)

Apple Cider

Its getting to be that time of the year again, Cider. Around here we have a brand called McCutcheon's, locally pressed and hard to beat, perfect combo of sweet to tart. What do you have in your neck of the woods?

40 Replies Related Threads

Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 17:44:34 (permalink)
    Have you tried Dickens Cider?...Russ
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:14:29 (permalink)
    I've asked this before but did not get a realistic answer, so I'll try again. What is the difference between apple cider and apple juice? I used to think juice was transparent while cider was cloudy. But I've seen cloudy juice and clear cider.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:24:11 (permalink)
    Here in Dothan , Alabama , we don't have locally produced apple cider . But , we do have locally grown and freshly squeezed sugar cane juice. It is actually very good for you . It contains lots of vitamins , minerals ,and anti-oxidants . And , it has only 10 percent more natural sugar than orange juice ! I just love it .
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:27:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Have you tried Dickens Cider?...Russ

You just gotta love Bob and Tom!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:34:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

I've asked this before but did not get a realistic answer, so I'll try again. What is the difference between apple cider and apple juice? I used to think juice was transparent while cider was cloudy. But I've seen cloudy juice and clear cider.

Generally, apple cider is basically apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process that removes coarse pulp or sediment.

Cider may or may not be heat pasteurized.

Whereas

Generally apple juice has been filtrated, pasteurized, and vacuum sealed to give a longer lasting, clearer looking product.

Most juices add additional water and other ingredients to maintain flavor and clarity.

Outside of the US "cider" means a hard cider not a sweet cider

Hard Cider - Fermented Sweet Cider that is producing alcohol
    Sweet Cider - Fresh Juice

Apple Jack - Hard Cider that is frozen, then the unfrozen liquid poured off, and the unfrozen liquid gets refrozen, until the time you get almost pure apple alcohol.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:38:56 (permalink)
    Locally I have 3 orchards that produce cider

Salatin's - Produces a sweet unpasturized cider

Goley's - Produces a sweet unpasturized cider

Biersdorfer's - Produces a sweet patsurized cider (sells around the Cincinnati area)

Old man Goley produces some of the BEST cider I have ever drank, and I have drank 100's of gallons.

This is my favorite time of year, the pumpkins are getting ready, the apples are in and delicious. I go to Salatin's get a peck or so of apples and start eating them right there in the store.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 18:58:40 (permalink)
    I LOVE fall....apple cider, leaves turning colors,cool nights and semi- warm days.Bob and I built a fire pit this year, and have enjoyed sitting out there at night,just talking.It has been a neighbor inviting thing, and we find ourselves with company quite often.I love it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 19:04:40 (permalink)

On our Day Trip earlier this week we passed many Pumpkin Fields with farmers in the Harvesting process. I think it will be a banner year for the Pumpkin growers.

After processing as many apples as we did this season I have learned two things...1. We will take better care of the trees in the off-season to get better looking results next year. and 2. We love the Arkansas Black Apple better than any other we are growing. I have ordered three more Ark. Black Semi-Dwarf trees to add to the Orchard this Fall. They will arrive early in November !
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 19:35:55 (permalink)
    Al-waiting with bated breath for the apple butter recipe!!!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 19:58:04 (permalink)
    I have 2 buddies with old orchards in their backyard.. Date back over 50 plus years ago. Never sprayed either! So been enjoying the "freebies" to make apple pie, and have some apple butter going on the burner tomorrow or Monday (crock pot method). Probably be doing up some applesauce also, just for the heck of it. And if I had a press, be doing some hard cider also.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 20:07:24 (permalink)
    Actually it is a very simple process. We use a ten quart stock pot and a six-quart slo-cooker. Peel and core your apples in batch size amounts. Janet does this and tosses the chunks of apple into a bowl if ice-water that has 'fruit-fresh' added. When she fills the bowl with roughly 10 quarts (plus a bit) she turns them over to me. I fill the stock pot to the top with the chunk apples, add about a cup of Apple juice and a couple of overflowing tablespoons of lemon juice. I Heat the apples to a boil stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Cook until the chunks have softened considerable. They cook-down a lot as they soften!

At this point we use two methods depending on the final product.

1. We like very coarse grind Apple Sauce A LOT!. If this batch is to be AppleSauce, we lower the heat and add two to three cups of sugar (taste test a lot) and a tablespoon of Cinnamon and half-teaspoon of ground clove. Bring it back to the simmering point and then run a hand mixer thru the apples until they are "sauced" to meet your needs! A few minutes on high-speed near the end of the process seems to really get the apples "sauced". Then Bottle and seal using whatever process you wish. ! Makes a bit more than a gallon depending on the size of the bottles you use.

2. If Apple Butter is your final product. After bringing the apples to a boil and cooking til soft (about 10 minutes) over a medium-high heat, Use a Foley grinder (or a food processor) (We have a 3.5 quart Foley hand crank food mill that works great) to strain the apples into your crock-pot or slow-cooker. Set the cooker on high for the first two or three hours...just enough to bring the apples to a simmer around the edge of the cooker. Add Sugar to taste, and Cinnamon and ground clove (if you like Clove!) a bit more than you did with the AppleSauce. We also add a tablespoon of lemon juice to help thicken up the mixture as it cooks. After the first few hours you can turn down the slow cooker to lo and let it go for ten-twelve hours, or until the consistency reaches the point you like the most. We found that some apple species took much longer to thicken and darken than others.
    When close to ready, heat it back up on high to help the 'Butter' to seal the jars when you fill them. Process using whatever style you wish...Pressure canners scare the hell out of me, so we either water-bath the jars or refrigerate them for short storage.

To repeat.. Sweetening and Spice intensity is a matter of personal tase. Some would prefer not to add any sugar at all..others like more or less of the spices added. Since the apples cook for a considerable length of time it is pretty easy to adjust the sweet and spice level slowly as you cook. Remember though that the sugar does seem to aid the thickening process.
    AL
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 20:40:24 (permalink)
    I agree with all that my friend Cajun says about apples, but while some people do call the residue from frozen fermented cider "Apple Jack", that horrible undrinkable residue is not really fit for human consumption. And I know, I've tried it !!

"Apple Jack" is actually an apple brandy - it is the distilled extract from fermented apple cider. The main difference between Apple Jack and Calvados or Apple brandy is ageing. In France they age the cider itself before making the brandy (Calvados)- and it is an excellent product, especially if the brandy is left to age in oak for a few years. In America the fermented cider is unaged (it is called "beer" in the business) and the apple brandy is directly distilled, usually in a continuous distilling process as opposed to the French pot (batch) stills from the fermented cider. If it is sold unaged it is called Apple Jack - Lairds makes a very nice version - about $12, if it is aged for a few years it is called apple brandy. Laird's makes an very nice product but not up to the standards of the better French Calvados - Lairds 7year old =$22; French 7 year old $70. And, once you've distilled any product to at least 17% alcohol and bottle it no perceptile ageing takes place in the bottle. Ageing that smooths and refines brandys takes place in oak barrells - no place else.

BTW: we have a number of local cider mills still in operation around here and they uniformly make a very nice poduct. Now and then, if nature cooperates, a jug of cider left to itself in the right light and temperature conditions turns into a lovely champagne-like product - bubbly, sweet, and delicious -a rare treat we all look forward to, but rarely achieve. More often it turns into a poor imitation of vinegar.

Cheers, John
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 20:53:51 (permalink)
    As Kenneth Roberts'character, Cap Huff, suggests in a famous scene in the novel "Northwest Passage", cider makes for a very acceptable version of hot buttered rum. He regrets that he has to use hot water
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 20:57:42 (permalink)
    Great info Al! Here's the recipe I'm going to try out: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/All-Day-Apple-Butter/Detail.aspx
    Arcayne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 21:53:35 (permalink)
    The local orchard here in my part of East TN offers an frozen apple cider slush that is too delicious. They don't heat treat the cider,and the slush is all cider, no water or sugar added. Tart, sweet, icy and totally addictive.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 22:03:22 (permalink)
    Al

If you have Vitamin C tablets (ascorbic acid) you can crush them instead of the fruit fresh.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6285
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 22:08:13 (permalink)
    One of the best Cider's in Jersey is Delicious Orchards,which presses its own...we also love Kauffman's from Amish Country in Pennsylvania...
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 23:03:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

One of the best Cider's in Jersey is Delicious Orchards,which presses its own...we also love Kauffman's from Amish Country in Pennsylvania...

My sister is in charge of buying pies, for Thanksgiving (I do all of the cooking). The pies from Delicious Orchards are fantastic. I am the only one who loves Pecan. That is fine by me!!

My Mom loves the cider from Delicious Orchards. It is located in Colts Neck, NJ.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6285
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 23:05:42 (permalink)
    The pies there are very good...Have you tried the apple-cranberry cider??? It's great...also the apple cider donuts!!!Wow!!!
    MotherNature_
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 23:17:13 (permalink)
    In my experiences, cider, whether it be apple, cherry, what have you, is something you can only get in the mountains at certain times of the year. It is generally very rich, flavorful and something not to be forgotten. Juice, on the other hand, can be bought in any grocery store at any time of the year and is basically a watered down version of anything you could "squeeze" yourself, either by hand or by using one of those fancy gadgets they try to sell in the early morning hours on cable TV.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 23:35:34 (permalink)
    Even more than hickory-smoked bbq, I miss fresh apple cider. I grew up in southeast Missouri, and when I was a kid we could drive a few miles to an apple orchard (Young's in Springfield, MO) in the fall and get it right from the tap.

Those days are over. A few years ago, I ordered several times from a place in Michigan that made unpasteurized cider and shipped overnight. It ended up costing me a little over $15 a gallon, but it was worth it to me. I can't find them now, so something has changed there.

Central Market here in Austin sells a cider from New York, I believe Fowler's is the brand, that tastes like cider should taste. It's generally available from fall to after the first of the year here. Everything else that is sold here masquerading as apple cider is complete swill.
    iqdiva
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/13 23:43:36 (permalink)
    Mothernature , there's one juice that you can't by in a grocery store . That's fresh pressed sugarcane juice that we love down here in Dothan on a cold fall day . The fresh sugarcane juice is our fall and winter treat down here because sugarcane is only ground and pressed in the cold months .
    MotherNature_
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:00:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

Mothernature , there's one juice that you can't by in a grocery store . That's fresh pressed sugarcane juice that we love down here in Dothan on a cold fall day . The fresh sugarcane juice is our fall and winter treat down here because sugarcane is only ground and pressed in the cold months .

That's a new one. How does it taste, if there is something you can try to explain it so that I may have an idea. I'd love to try it.
    MotherNature_
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:01:33 (permalink)
    I have eaten sugar cane, freshly cut, but I don't think I've had the pleasure of sugarcane juice in a jug, or what have you.
    iqdiva
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:13:46 (permalink)
    It truly has a taste all its own . Children down in our area also chew stalks of peeled sugarcane as a special treat . It isn't all all what you might expect . It isn't syrupy or cloyingly sweet . When it is cooked down it becomes sugarcane syrup which isn't as strong as sorghum . The freshly squeezed juice is very good for you too . It is a powerful anti-oxidant . And , it's full of minerals and vitamins while containing only 10 percent more natural sugar than orange juice . But , it's very perishable and must either be consumed right away or frozen because it will begin to sour . I think that rum is derived from the juice of sugarcane.I have even made wonderful mojitos with the sugarcane juice . It's a wonderful treat that I look forward to drinking and freezing as much as I can every year .
    MotherNature_
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:20:39 (permalink)
    I've lost a deal of weight and am looking for something to help me gain it back. I had a bit of a hospital stay. I love food and eating, though at this point in time, drinking my calories is easier. Do you think that if I could locate some of this it would help me?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:20:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

When I was in Havana, (no, wait, American government, I was NEVER in Cuba, I'm just joking...really...I was never there ) a very pretty young woman made me a mojito with fresh-pressed sugar cane juice. She ran a big cane through a presser. It was awesome.
    iqdiva
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:27:55 (permalink)
    MotherNature , please try some if you can find someone that grows and grinds the sugarcane . But you must get it very fresh and please keep it cold or freeze the juice . Also , if you like you can strain it through a fine sieve . But I always just drink it without straining the juice . I hope my info helped .
    iqdiva
    RE: Apple Cider 2008/09/14 00:28:59 (permalink)
    Bushie , I'll bet that was a great mojito !
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1