Apple Crisp

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
2003/05/12 18:17:27 (permalink)

Apple Crisp

When I was in high school back in the early sixties, one of the things that I recall that I looked forward to in the school cafeteria was apple crisp. Today I was at Walmart and beside the apples, I saw the apple crisp mix. I bought it and it is in the oven now. I have no idea how it will turn out. I bought several Granny Smith apples, peeled them and cut them in small pieces, mixed some brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and created a crust and put this instant crisp mixture over the top. It is baking and the house smells really good. Can't wait to put it over some Mayfield's vanilla Ice cream.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

8 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/05/12 19:13:06 (permalink)
    I just wanted to report on the Apple Cinnamon Crisp Mix by "Calhoun Bend Mill". I just got it out of the oven, let it cool a little bit and added my Mayfield Vanilla Ice Cream, OH! so good. A little chewy, a little on the candy, cinnamon, buttery tasty side. Apples were great.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/05/27 11:06:39 (permalink)
    Back in 8th grade cooking class, one of the recipes that we made was apple crisp. My friends and I joked that our product was really more like apple soggy, but I still have that hand-lettered recipe card and I still make it occasionally. I have tried one packaged mixture (not the one that you mentioned) that I didn't like much, too powdery and dry. But yours sounds interesting, I'll have to watch for it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/05/27 11:13:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Julia I

Back in 8th grade cooking class, one of the recipes that we made was apple crisp. My friends and I joked that our product was really more like apple soggy, but I still have that hand-lettered recipe card and I still make it occasionally. I have tried one packaged mixture (not the one that you mentioned) that I didn't like much, too powdery and dry. But yours sounds interesting, I'll have to watch for it.

I bought it at Walmart and I thought it was very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/05/28 22:15:41 (permalink)
    Apple crisp is so easy to make folks! Here is my favorite recipe that I've had for years:

2 cups sliced, peeled apples (2-3 med. apples)
    1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup oatmeal (regular or quick - not instant)
    1/2 t. cinnamon and 1/2 t. nutmeg
    3 TB soft butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put apples in a smallish baking dish. Blend the rest in a bowl until crumbly, then spread it over the apples. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool a little so you don't burn your mouth. Makes two generous servings. A little vanilla ice cream on top won't hurt it a bit.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/09/08 21:35:57 (permalink)
    apple crisp is one of my favorite fall recipes, especially since we have a big apple tree in front of our house! The recipe above is quite similar to mine except I use flour with the cinnamon and brown sugar and butter for the crumbs. I make giant batches for Thanksgiving or when I have company. It is always a hit and delicious.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/09/09 08:52:35 (permalink)
    Lizzie..I am glad you revived this thread. I hadn't seen it before, and I was glad to find the recipes and recommendations. 'Tis apple season and I can't wait to start using them in my baking. Mmmmm....

At work with thoughts of apple crisp in my head,
    Meowzart
    retired & glad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/10/24 22:45:34 (permalink)
    Tcrouzer,

I recently ran across this thread and wanted you to know we made your recipe for apple crisp this afternoon and it was Greeaat! First time we ever made any kinda crisp thing that I can remember-it was very easy and quick. We really enjoyed it topped with vanilla ice cream & accompanied with hot, black coffee.

Thanks,
    David Skaggs [like Ricky, only he can sing]

CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Apple Crisp 2003/10/25 00:26:49 (permalink)
    Here's my recipe. The original came from another of the Southern Doctor's Wives, but I messed with it (as usual) and got great results:

4 apples, pared, cored and thinly sliced (Golden Delicious are great)
    1 T. lemon juice
    1 c. unsifted flour
    1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    ½ t. cinnamon
    ½ c. cold unsalted butter
    shake of ginger
    1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Place apple slices in a 13x9x2” baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs form. Spoon crumb mixture over apples. Bake at 350#61616; for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1