Appleton, Wisconsin

Author
seatown76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
2009/05/31 21:09:45 (permalink)

Appleton, Wisconsin

Taking the family to Appleton, Wisconsin for my daughters 5th birthday because she wants to go to Chuck E. Cheese (I refuse to eat there though). Staying for the upcoming weekend and am wondering if anybody knows of some non-commercial places that might be a rare treasure to find. I know it's not a place to many people might be familiar with but just throwing it out there to see what comes back.

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies Related Threads

Jim2903
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2009/06/01 16:04:16 (permalink)
    The Machine Shed is a regional chain (maybe a half-dozen locations in the upper Midwest) but offers good country-style cooking and smoked meats. I ate there because it was next to the hotel where I was staying in Appleton on business, but I'd been to other locations and have not been disappointed.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2009/06/01 16:19:49 (permalink)
    My co-worker who lived there a few years a few years back, suggested Nakashima (Sp?), Tom's Drive-Inn, Cinders, and The Red Ox as four choices. She also suggested Hiding Place for steak in nearby Kimberly.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2009/06/02 05:02:59 (permalink)
    Don't know much about Appleton dining, but Tom's Drive-In is a small fast food chain that is pretty good.  The Paper Valley Hotel has a steak house named for Vince Lombardi, but I don't know how it is, except probably overpriced.  But if you are willing to take a rather boring 20 mile trip down the road, Ardy & Ed's Drive-In in Oshkosh is a terrific little place that has been there since 1948.  It is full-bore old fashioned, with 50's music and carhops on roller skates, and GOOD food.  Al Roker featured them in Roker On The Road.

Everything they have is good, but I particularly love their ho-made barbecue, which is not any kind of barbecue, but just one more name that we have here for sloppy joes.  This sandwich is everything a midwest sloppy joe should be -- big and meaty, with the golden juice soaked perfectly into the soft, steamed bun.  My standard order was two barbecues, fries with tartar, and a large beer.   Living in La Crosse, I sure miss them.  We do have such a drive-in here, but they don't have that sandwich.   

And you get a nice view of Lake Winnebago while you dine.  This is where they have the big sturgeon spearing contest each winter.

Oshkosh has a big "discount" mall too, but you can skip it.  Mostly it's all factory stores, and the prices are no cheaper, sometimes higher, than the department stores. 

http://www.foodspot.com/ardyandeds/

They are closed now for the summer, but right near by on Doty Street is Hughes Chocolates, a family operation that makes and sells the chocolates out of their shop in the basement.  This is beautiful stuff, good prices and clean as a whistle.  They are always busy, but at Christmas time the line can stretch from the counter in the basement up the stairs, out the door, and down the driveway to the street.  There is just a little sign stating their name in the front window, but everybody knows where they are.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2009/06/03 04:05:33 (permalink)
    As an alternative to Chuck E Cheese, you might want to consider Funset Boulevard, which is very close to the Mall.

http://www.Funset.com/

The side street for Funset is Westhill Avenue.  Just a little north on Westhill is Breadsmith, a small bakery chain.  Try their apple pie bread or garlic pullaparts. 
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/09 05:18:43 (permalink)
    Just found out I'm going to be in Appleton for work for 9 days.  Thanks for the suggestions.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/09 07:40:41 (permalink)
    Since I posted this a couple years ago I have been back there many times for work now and have found some great places and a couple of the chain restaurants that weren't too bad either. And the best part was the last time I went there was a Five Guys just opening across the street from the hotel I always stay in!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/09 07:48:58 (permalink)
    Do tell, seatown!!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/09 11:54:33 (permalink)
    People should know that the local museum has excellent exhibitions on Houdini, who grew up in Appleton.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5025
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/11 09:17:06 (permalink)
    Seatown, have you eaten at Frank's?  I haven't but have eaten Cranky Pat's pizza, which is supposed to be pretty similar.

Brad
    Wintahaba
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Appleton, Wisconsin 2011/07/12 17:55:18 (permalink)
    As a LOOONG time lurker and a big Stern's fan I have finally jumped on board. Roadfood has been a great source of enjoyment for me for years. Being from the coast of Maine originally and have lived in quite a few other great areas since,  maybe I can add something every now and then.  Anyway, enough about me and on to Appleton, WI.
    A very nice area with some great private restaurants given the Fox Valley's population....also a ton of nice people. Here is a quick list of some of the best and our favorites with details later if you would like.
    Pizza-Frank's Pizza Palace~College Ave ,Appleton been around forever and I prefer it over  Cranky Pat's
    Supper Club/Steaks-Many superb old school clubs around. I have found Dick and Joan's on Lynndale to be the most consistent....Oh, the hot bacon dressing!
    Best single location Drive-in type place-JD's on E John St. Nothing ever changes.

Much more to come later. Thank You.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1