Arby's Ruebens

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
2005/05/23 20:21:33 (permalink)

Arby's Ruebens

Ok you guys, at the risk of having my head taken off, I have to ask. Have any of you tried the Arby's Market Fresh Rueben Sandwich? They are my very favorite sandwiches in the world, next to Indidana Breaded Pork Tenderloins.

The Lady

47 Replies Related Threads

LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 20:32:27 (permalink)
    Ok, so maybe it's Reubens, I don't know how to spell it, I just want to find out how it is!

LL
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 20:34:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LegalLady

Ok you guys, at the risk of having my head taken off, I have to ask. Have any of you tried the Arby's Market Fresh Rueben Sandwich? They are my very favorite sandwiches in the world, next to Indidana Breaded Pork Tenderloins.

The Lady

Consider self decapitated. Too expensive for amount given. Tried once. Not worth the $$. I will agree the one I had was good. Too bad they don't offer double portions.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 20:47:09 (permalink)
    I'm sure Arby's can pull off a Rueben sandwich but i'd worry about that stuff they call corned beef that goes on the bread. I'll try one this week.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 20:50:26 (permalink)
    I've yet to try one... But ya redeemed yourself with the Indiana Tenderloins!
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 21:08:28 (permalink)
    Corned beef takes time and skill to pull off correctly. I can't imagine that Arby's is interested in either.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/23 23:15:45 (permalink)
    I would have to be really desperate to try this. Some sandwiches just aren't amenable to standardized (i.e chain) production and the Reuben is a prime example. The corned beef has to be really good. The bread has to be really good. The Russian dressing has to be good. And the whole thing has to be piled high. Given that Arby's now use "chopped/pressed/formed" roast beef (for the youngsters, once upon a time they used real, and very good, roast beef), I assume they use something similar for the corned beef in their Reuben. If so, IMHO it would be inedible. In a Reuben, if any corners are cut you end up with GLOP. Not for me, thanks.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 06:23:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I've yet to try one... But ya redeemed yourself with the Indiana Tenderloins!

Ditto.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 09:39:43 (permalink)
    I haven't tried them yet (I find all their "Market Fresh Sandwiches" way overpriced for what you get.), but here they are advertising "your choice of corned beef or roast turkey on a Reuben". Since when doesroast turkey deserve to be within 2 miles of a Reuben?????
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 09:57:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Given that Arby's now use "chopped/pressed/formed" roast beef (for the youngsters, once upon a time they used real, and very good, roast beef), I assume they use something similar for the corned beef in their Reuben. If so, IMHO it would be inedible.

I knew there was some reason I always preferred Roy Rogers' roast beef sandwiches to Arby's!
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 10:10:21 (permalink)
    Wow, I never knew that Arbys used to use REAL roast beef. It was always so thin that I assumed it was pressed and formed and I've been eating it for YEARS. Oh well, live and learn. As far as their rubens, I can't imagine that they are any good, but, I have not tried them. I have to agree with other posters, that a ruben does not allow you any room to SKIMP. It all has to be good quality and good sized or you have crap.

There are lots of great independant roadfood places that CAN'T pull off a good ruben and I am pretty sure Arbys can't either. JMHO
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 12:20:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pacman

Wow, I never knew that Arbys used to use REAL roast beef. It was always so thin that I assumed it was pressed and formed and I've been eating it for YEARS.

When they used real roast beef, decades ago, it wasn't so thin. Most likely since you've been eating it, it has been pressed and formed. My recollection is of my dad taking me, sometime in the 60's, way out of our way (but somewhere near Baltimore I think) to go to Arby's and get an extraordinarily good sandwich made with real roast beef.

Here's the story of Arby's:

quote:
    Arby's was founded in 1964, but the concept for a roast beef sandwich began earlier when Forrest Raffel, a graduate of Cornell University School of Hotel and Restaurant Administration and his younger brother Leroy, a graduate of Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania, bought an uncle's restaurant equipment business in the 1950s. Raffel Brothers, Inc. became the training ground for the brother's future in the food service industry.

The small company rapidly grew to become one of the country's leading foodservice consulting firms. Raffel Brothers, Inc. designed and installed hundreds of foodservice facilities including the flight kitchens at Greater Pittsburgh International Airport, interiors of six Ohio Turnpike restaurants and foodservice facilities for the Hospitality Inn motel chain of Standard Oil of Ohio.

But the Raffel brothers quickly sensed the potential of fast food and decided to develop a franchise operation based on something other than hamburgers. Leroy remembers, "We were totally confident, while everyone else thought we were out of our minds."

A late-night excursion to a small Boston sandwich shop one rainy Halloween was the inspiration for the Raffels, who joined a damp, but determined huddle of patrons to await the main attraction -- a 79-cent roast beef sandwich.

The idea was born. The only kink in the chain's orderly development came with choosing a name for it. The partners wanted to use the name "Big Tex," but were unsuccessful in negotiating with the Akron businessman who was already using the name. So, in the words of Forrest, "We came up with Arby's, which stands for R.B., the initials of Raffel Brothers, although I guess customers might think the initials stand for roast beef."

The first Arby's restaurant opened in Boardman, Ohio, on July 23, 1964, serving only roast beef sandwiches, potato chips, and a beverage, and was the only Arby's® restaurant for a year as the brothers refined the operation. One year later, the first Arby's licensee opened a restaurant in Akron, Ohio.

The time of my recollection must have been soon after they began opening new stores. And I'll bet you a dollar to a (Dunkin') donut that that Boston place that had 'em lined up in the rain didn't served "pressed and formed" beef.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 13:26:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

I haven't tried them yet (I find all their "Market Fresh Sandwiches" way overpriced for what you get.), but here they are advertising "your choice of corned beef or roast turkey on a Reuben". Since when does roast turkey deserve to be within 2 miles of a Reuben?????

Maybe this is a midwest thing but I have found a lot of places that serve a choice of corned beef or turkey reuben. 9 times out of 10 the turkey version has cole slaw instead of the saurkraut, russian dressing combo so I am not sure what makes it a reuben at all. I actually really like them but I do not think of them as reubens.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 14:33:32 (permalink)
    I'm sure I've seen Reubens made with turkey on some menus that I've perused referred to as a " Rachel " sandwich. Which admittedly is a whole different sandwich to a Reubens. I think I have seen both coleslaw and kraut used with turkey - not at the same time in the same sandwich I hasten to add !

I've only ever had homemade Reubens tho. There is a deli a short bus ride away from me that does decent hot salt beef and pastrami sandwiches, I will check out and see if they make Reubens.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/24 15:10:10 (permalink)
    The first time I ever had Turkey and slaw, with Russian Dressing was at a deli across the street from the Toy Building which is at 200 5th Ave and 23rd in |New York City. Real tasty.
    Steve from the other Phoenix
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/25 09:13:30 (permalink)
    When I first went to Arbys some 30 years ago or so, I remember you could see the person slice the meat off a big roast and make the sandwich basically to order.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/25 11:22:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

When I first went to Arbys some 30 years ago or so, I remember you could see the person slice the meat off a big roast and make the sandwich basically to order.

Oh, good--I wasn't hallucinating.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/05/25 11:57:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissKitty

I'm sure I've seen Reubens made with turkey on some menus that I've perused referred to as a " Rachel " sandwich.(snipped)

I've also seen Reubens and Rachels on the same menu offering either corned beef (Reuben) or pastrami (Rachel).
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/12 01:36:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Given that Arby's now use "chopped/pressed/formed" roast beef (for the youngsters, once upon a time they used real, and very good, roast beef), I assume they use something similar for the corned beef in their Reuben. If so, IMHO it would be inedible. In a Reuben, if any corners are cut you end up with GLOP. Not for me, thanks.

Thats a crock of bull and we both know it. Our beef comes to us completely raw and upchopped and formed. It is then slow cooked in the oven,then tempered for a minimum of a half hour then it is sliced then placed directly onto a sandwhich.For the reubens we used real corned beef not some imitation garbage.Quit lying about my place of employment.
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/12 01:37:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

And it is still done that way.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/12 01:56:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fastfood

Thats a crock of bull and we both know it. Our beef comes to us completely raw and upchopped and formed. It is then slow cooked in the oven,then tempered for a minimum of a half hour then it is sliced then placed directly onto a sandwhich.For the reubens we used real corned beef not some imitation garbage.Quit lying about my place of employment.

Do you, by any chance, know a guy who goes by the name WaffleHouserules?
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/12 02:01:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Do you, by any chance, know a guy who goes by the name WaffleHouserules?

No,why do you ask?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 01:29:26 (permalink)
    Fastfood, your posts read an awful lot like WHR's posts.
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 02:03:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Fastfood, your posts read an awful lot like WHR's posts.

I am not associated with the guy and I dont even have knowledge of his existance.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 09:03:02 (permalink)
    I offer a bounty to the first person who can produce a picture of fastfood and WaffleHouserules in the same place at the same time.

Photoshopped entries are not eligible for the grand prize.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 10:54:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

I haven't tried them yet (I find all their "Market Fresh Sandwiches" way overpriced for what you get.), but here they are advertising "your choice of corned beef or roast turkey on a Reuben". Since when does roast turkey deserve to be within 2 miles of a Reuben?????

Maybe this is a midwest thing but I have found a lot of places that serve a choice of corned beef or turkey reuben. 9 times out of 10 the turkey version has cole slaw instead of the saurkraut, russian dressing combo so I am not sure what makes it a reuben at all. I actually really like them but I do not think of them as reubens.

The original Reuben had corned beef, cole slaw, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing. That's the only way I'll eat one.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 14:27:37 (permalink)
    For a twist on the Reuben, try a little Bar in Moline ILL's olde towne called Belgian Village. They serve a VandeReuben on either rye or raisin rye (don't laugh it's delicious). The bread is as big as the dinner plate it is served on and easily is enough for 2 people to share with leftovers to take home afterwards.

As the name suggests they serve Belgian food. Homemade Belgian Breads and desserts, Blood Sausage in the winter, Belgian Beer Beef Sandwiches, Belgian Waffles and homemade soups.

They also have a drive through operation not too far from the bar/restaraunt.

Mark
    (and no, I don't work for them or in that case any food establishment,
    LMAO )
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 14:40:37 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Given that Arby's now use "chopped/pressed/formed" roast beef (for the youngsters, once upon a time they used real, and very good, roast beef), I assume they use something similar for the corned beef in their Reuben. If so, IMHO it would be inedible. In a Reuben, if any corners are cut you end up with GLOP. Not for me, thanks.

Why does it taste like crap compared to other roast beef then?

I think the beef is actually discarded skin from chemical peels, collected from various dermatology clinics.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 17:00:40 (permalink)
    I have it from a very reliable mohel that Arby's uses a meat product that becomes available after a bris.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Arby's Ruebens 2005/07/13 18:08:38 (permalink)
    LMAO
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1