Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space

Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
2010/01/20 22:10:44 (permalink)

Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space

On January 21st, an Arby's will take over the space formerly occupied by Gage and Tollner (discussed here):
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=67440&high

Much of the original interior has been retained and preserved.
http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=5&id=32926
http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2010/01/sneak-peek-at-inside-of-gage-tollner.html

10 Replies Related Threads

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/20 22:57:52 (permalink)
    Boy, talk about "from the sublime to the ridiculous"!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/20 23:21:08 (permalink)
    Though I am no longer an Arby's fan since they stopped selling real roast beef some years ago, the fact that they were able and willing to preserve the restaurant interior is a plus, since the building interior will still be available and viable for some other better restaurant to go in at such time that Arby's decides they aren't doing the business they thought they would do.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/20 23:45:43 (permalink)
    2 of out the 3 Arby's near me (Atlantic City area) have gone out of business these last bunch of months..
    (Northfield, NJ, plus  the one in the Hamilton Mall food court, Mays Landing)

I rarely would see any cars at the Northfield , NJ one, and then one day, it was totally DARK!
    Instead of their usual 2 cars, there were NONE at 6 pm !
    Combined with the Stewarts , Northfield that went under in Sept., that Tilton Road has some eyesores now !!!

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/21 06:24:53 (permalink)
    Niedersteins was the oldest Queens restaurant (at the time) and was bulldozed a few years ago to build an Arby's.  Nothing was preserved.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/21 08:38:49 (permalink)
    One of my first real fancy eat outs was when an uncle took my Mother, Father and me to Gage & Tollner's-------he must have won at a crap game or something.  I don't remember the place it at all but I do remember the occasion.  It was my Mother's Birthday.  Sad to see great places go, but Fulton St has changed. 

Niederstein's was another great place----that whole German area was a gereat place to eat.  You never complained about not getting enough.  Last time I was there was a lunch after a funeral of a good friend----so i remember that occasion also.

ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1589
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/21 09:07:26 (permalink)
    Although I spent the first 36 years of my life in Brooklyn I only went to G&T once, in the early 80's and it was not a good experience at all. As I recall, that was a downlhill period in general for them.

<<Niederstein's was another great place----that whole German area was a gereat place to eat.  You never complained about not getting enough.  Last time I was there was a lunch after a funeral of a good friend----so i remember that occasion also.>>

That's pretty much how they survived as long as they did. Towards the end most of thier business was "after funeral" business from the many cemetaries in the area. My father's family was from Ridgewood and I remember going there for a couple of  extended-family dinners when I was a kid in the 50's. Somehow Niederstein's survived until 2005.

Here's an article from the NY Times about the closing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/nyregion/07restaurant.html

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/21 10:10:09 (permalink)
    That particular stretch of Fulton Street in Brooklyn is disgusting, and it has been for decades.  It's jam packed with the worst cheap knock-off stores you've ever seen.  In the late 80's they tried to revitalize it by closing part of it off to traffic and calling it a "mall", and it did no good.  It's filthy, garbage strewn, and show no signs of every coming back.  The White Castle on that street is a gold mine, so I have every confidence that Arby's will do very, very well there.  Gage and Tollener's hung on as long as they could, buoyed a bit by the nearby courthouses.  Once the courthouse area stared to get a little gentrified (specifically the Mortons over in Metrotech) , there was no reason for anyone to go to the "Fulton Mall" for a fancy lunch or dinner, and G&T was doomed. 

I predict that if and when the Barclay's Center/Atlantic Yards project ever gets built (just up a few blocks), the Fulton Mall has a shot at gentricication.  It's a perfect geographic link between Downtown Brooklyn and the arena, and that would provide great opportunity for restaurants.  Until then, Fulton Mall is the pits.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/01/21 17:20:45 (permalink)
    ken8038
    <<Niederstein's was another great place----that whole German area was a gereat place to eat.  You never complained about not getting enough.  Last time I was there was a lunch after a funeral of a good friend----so i remember that occasion also.>>

That's pretty much how they survived as long as they did. Towards the end most of thier business was "after funeral" business from the many cemetaries in the area. My father's family was from Ridgewood and I remember going there for a couple of  extended-family dinners when I was a kid in the 50's. Somehow Niederstein's survived until 2005.

Here's an article from the NY Times about the closing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/nyregion/07restaurant.html

Here's a history of Niedersteins.

http://www.junipercivic.c..istoryArticle.asp?nid=7

In short order, the area also lost Durow's (another 'funeral' place) and Gebhart's. Zum Stammtisch still remains.

michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/02/04 18:05:49 (permalink)
    I went to G&T after reading about it in an early edition of "Goodfood."  I am sorry to read here how the whole street has gone downhill.

Arby's has pretty much dried up in my area.  Only a few locations left.  The one closest to me is now a Starbuck's.  It's amazing how much a Mocha Frappuccino tastes like a Jamoca shake (but costs three times as much for a shake with a buzz).  For a Jamoca shake with a kick: Equal parts brandy, Kalua and cream.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Arby's takes over landmarked Gage and Tollner space 2010/02/05 15:40:21 (permalink)
    I think our local Arby's may be on its last legs.  I don't know what might replace it, and I won't miss it.  The "Super" here has shrunk, and the Beef and Cheddar is a mere shadow of its former self.  I don't think the "let's get skimpy and raise prices" idea is working out very well.

Andrea
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1