The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA

hotpep1

• Total Posts: 17
Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Wed, 10/11/06 11:23 PM (permalink)
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Jane & Michael Stern for reviewing Archie's Restaurant in the first "Roadfood" (was that 1979?). I think it was called Archie's Shrimp Boat at that time, and on their menu it read, "Fish served here slept in the river last night". They were (and still are) known for their fried shrimp dinner.

When I moved from NY to FL in the spring of 1979, I had a copy of "Roadfood" (still have it!). My mother and I stopped at Archie's and ordered the shrimp. True to the Sterns' word, the shrimp was piled high on the plate and it was delicious!

I have stopped at Archie's each time I drive to NY, and it's still the best fried shrimp!

Get off I-95 at the Darien, GA exit (#49) and go east to the trafffic light, turn right and Archie's is right there on the left.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
    RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Thu, 10/12/06 8:32 AM (permalink)
    I was introduced to this restaurant from their first book, too. I remember that the shrimp were truly delicious. I have not stopped there in years. Thanks for the reminder and glad that it remains good Roadfood.

jdbeck

• Total Posts: 4
      RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Mon, 06/4/07 9:32 AM (permalink)
      Sorry to advise that Archie's is closed. I can recommend the fried shrimp at Mudcat Charlie's,located approximately 3 miles south of Darien on highway 17.
      quote:
      Originally posted by hotpep1

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Jane & Michael Stern for reviewing Archie's Restaurant in the first "Roadfood" (was that 1979?). I think it was called Archie's Shrimp Boat at that time, and on their menu it read, "Fish served here slept in the river last night". They were (and still are) known for their fried shrimp dinner.

When I moved from NY to FL in the spring of 1979, I had a copy of "Roadfood" (still have it!). My mother and I stopped at Archie's and ordered the shrimp. True to the Sterns' word, the shrimp was piled high on the plate and it was delicious!

I have stopped at Archie's each time I drive to NY, and it's still the best fried shrimp!

Get off I-95 at the Darien, GA exit (#49) and go east to the trafffic light, turn right and Archie's is right there on the left.

beteez

• Total Posts: 33
        RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Sun, 12/9/07 1:59 PM (permalink)
        B&J's across 17 from the old Archies does the best job of replicating the quantity & quality of Archies. mudcats has a view and B&J's is a no frills bargain

marshrat

• Total Posts: 38
          RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Tue, 12/11/07 9:33 AM (permalink)
          Anyone tried the more upscale 'fish camp' there on the right past B&J's and before the bridge?
          It's next to the new condos, the name is escaping me.

seafarer john

RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Tue, 12/11/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
            That's Skippers Fish Camp. We stopped there in '05 on the recomendation of someone here on Roadfood. All the seafood offered appeared to be local and fresh. We had raw oysters, fried oysters, oyster stew, crab cakes (Georgia, not Maryland style) and it was all very good. The decor is fake rustic, but it is a comfortable place with good service and we'd gladly go back anytime - in fact we just might put it on our itinery for our '08 trip to Florida.
            Also think we'd like to try B&J's while we're there.

Cheers, John

beteez

• Total Posts: 33
              RE: Archie's Restaurant - Darien, GA Sat, 12/15/07 7:42 PM (permalink)
              B&J's is superior to Skippers & Mudcat's just not as fancy or as nice of a view. Also stay away from Jerom'e old school on Harris Neck Rd. Very expensive & inferior food to the others. Go only if hanging with Ben Affleck is important to you.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com