Are Nedick's back in business?

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2008/10/05 10:47:14 (permalink)

Are Nedick's back in business?

I recall as a pre-teen and teenager in the 60s visiting my cousins in NYC and being taken to a chain of hot dog and orange juice drink stands called Nedick's, they served a tasty grilled frank served in a unusual bun, that was really some kind of a folded loaf bread slice that was toasted on the grill.

I heard a transplanted New Yorker talking about the return of Nedick's at the barber shop on Saturday, is this true? Are Nedick's back? If they are are they still the same style and do they still sell orange juice drinks in a cone shaped paper cup placed in a holder?

6 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/05 11:24:22 (permalink)
    That "folded loaf bread slice" happens to be a New England-style split-top hot dog bun. And yes, Nedick's is back -- sort of.

http://www.rieserestaurants.com/restaurants.asp?rest_id=1020
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/05 12:07:02 (permalink)
    jonjax,

There have been a number of posts made to this message board in various threads about the "return" of Nedick's. The brand name is now owned by Riese Restaurants, operators of food courts in the New York City area. Michael gave you a link to their web site.

Unfortunately, the orange drink is now sold in regular cups like you see at McDonald's and Burger King. These Nedick's are all in food courts in the Penn Station/Herald Square area so therefore appeal to tourists and former residents of the city passing through. No one on this board has been able to document whose frankfurter the original Nedick's used at the time they closed shop. As Michael noted, the New England Style buns are still around and easily obtained in the NYC market. A few of the threads that talked about Nedick's were:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1643
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26838
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/05 23:56:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC
    jonjax,
    There have been a number of posts made to this message board in various threads about the "return" of Nedick's.
    Unfortunately, the orange drink is now sold in regular cups like you see at McDonald's and Burger King..

I appreciate you sharing the news and previous post info, I am new to this forum and still learning the ropes...

Interesting that for me not having been raised in Metro NY, I'm a lifelong Pasadena So Cal'er, over 30 some odd years since being taken to Nedick's as a teen, I still vividly recall it because of how unique it was, New England split roll toasted buns, orange drink served in a paper cone placed in a holder at a sidewalk counter

Too bad they discontinued one of their traditions, paper cones are green and recyclable.

Most everything old should be new again
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/05 23:59:40 (permalink)
    Tropicana orange aid tastes very close to the original Nedicks drink!!!
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/06 04:39:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Tropicana orange aid tastes very close to the original Nedicks drink!!!

I remember the drink to be watered down! But then again that was year's ago.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Are Nedick's back in business? 2008/10/06 09:33:04 (permalink)
    A trip to a nedicks place was a mandatory stop for my mom and me in the 50's when we went into the city...drink and hotdog...miss it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1