Are they pulling our leg?

Author
lornaschinske
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1610
2012/01/28 15:09:58 (permalink)

Are they pulling our leg?

The folks in NM can not be as "sheltered" as they claim to be. First we had to explain "sauerkraut" and "hot dog chili". We have had to explain to many what "pastrami" is. Okay, we wrote that off to it being Socorro. Tiny town and they really don't get out a whole lot.

We are now in Roswell... much larger town with more "outsiders" in it. Yesterday, a guy drove up and looked at our menu. He asked David what a Chicken Cordon Bleu was. Okay we understand that our Chicken Cordon Bleu is slightly different than other Chicken Cordon Bleus. So David told him... spicy grilled chicken breast strips, Black Forest Ham and Swiss Cheese with Dijon mustard on a sub roll but he could choose a different bread if he wanted He said he had never heard of a sandwich like that. He got the Cordon Bleu. Hopped in his dump truck to eat it and after his first bite told David it was the best sandwich he ever had. And started calling people on his cell phone telling them about the "best sandwich he ever ate".

Seriously, everyone knows what a Chicken Cordon Bleu is don't they? This state is surreal at times.

17 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/01/28 15:55:31 (permalink)
    "Seriously, everyone knows what a Chicken Cordon Bleu is don't they? This state is surreal at times."

Not necessarily true.  There are many places that have no "fancy" restaurant in them.  If the people don't regularly travel to a larger town (and eat there), they would have no idea about any sandwich with a French name!  Even today, there are a number of people that live their entire life without ever going to the "big city" to eat, especially if they were born and raised on a farm.  Add to these people the ones that live in a big city and never can afford to eat anything fancier than the local McDonald's, and the number grows even larger.  Even in a city like Peoria, with a metropolitan area population of over 389,000, I would estimate that far less than 10% of the restaurants would ever have a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich on their menu.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/01/28 16:49:41 (permalink)
    Now, now Lorna, when you moved from Socorro to Roswell, both cities IQ went up. I bet a brand new quarter the same question would be asked if you came to Carlsbad!
    BTW, won`t promise you, but plan to visit you guys next week.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/01/28 17:22:41 (permalink)
    out here , there are ppl that have never left their neighborhoods. They have back yard mechanics and eveything else you could imagine in the n-hood. We are talking Maryland here too. Not the country part but the COUNTY part. Crazy.. I can understand your frustration
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/01/29 20:57:25 (permalink)
    We used to get LOTS of people asking what a corn dog is.
    lornaschinske
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/01/30 00:38:47 (permalink)
    We don't have what I would consider "sophisticated palates" nor would I say that I am terribly adventurous when it comes to food. But really!
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/04 11:53:37 (permalink)
    we do fresh squeezed lemonades and limeades. i am surprised, or blown away actually how many people ask what the green things are. i say its a lime and they want to know what they taste like.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2365
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/04 12:24:36 (permalink)
    I could see people in Roswell, New Mexico not knowing what Chicken Cordon Bleu is, after all, the Aliens that landed were not French. I bet the Rocket popsicles go over well.............................P.S. People in the Pacific Northwest are the same way, you have to show them every thing...........
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/04 12:34:11 (permalink)
    LMAO
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/04 14:02:58 (permalink)
    'asking what a corn dog is". - Maybe?
    "i say its a lime and they want to know what they taste like"...........Now how would you explain what a lime taste like? LOL???

I guess it's the same all over I have people drive up I hand them a menu and they look at me and ask what do you have?

They are goofy,  well at least a bunch of them are.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/10 14:58:01 (permalink)
    Yesterday I had to make a frying trip to Roswell, and of course I had to go visit Lorna`s husband David. I`ve read about Lorna`s exceptional Bar-B-Q sandwich, but after hearing about thier Chicken Cordon Bleu, I decided to order one. It was raining at the time, and being there before the lunch crowd showed up, David sat with me in the car while I ate one of the best sandwiches I can remember. So the dump truck driver and myself can verify this was a fine sandwich. It was good to sit and chat with him for a while, I hope David had as good time as I shooting the bull. Next time, and hope soon, I can make a report on that Q sandwich she brags about also.
    Thanks David.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/10 15:10:19 (permalink)
    You are making me hungry for a chicken cordon bleu, I haven't seen them anywhere other than frozen ones at the super market. I tried one years ago and it just didn't do the job.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/10 15:53:38 (permalink)
    lornaschinske

We don't have what I would consider "sophisticated palates" nor would I say that I am terribly adventurous when it comes to food. But really!

Years ago, I was in a fancy Hotel Restaurant in NYC for breakfast and asked the waitress if they served grits. She said, "Sure, how many would you like?" Works both ways!!
    lornaschinske
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/11 11:03:30 (permalink)
    FriedTater

Yesterday I had to make a frying trip to Roswell, and of course I had to go visit Lorna`s husband David. I`ve read about Lorna`s exceptional Bar-B-Q sandwich, but after hearing about thier Chicken Cordon Bleu, I decided to order one. It was raining at the time, and being there before the lunch crowd showed up, David sat with me in the car while I ate one of the best sandwiches I can remember. So the dump truck driver and myself can verify this was a fine sandwich. It was good to sit and chat with him for a while, I hope David had as good time as I shooting the bull. Next time, and hope soon, I can make a report on that Q sandwich she brags about also.
    Thanks David.

Thanks! David enjoyed the meeting also.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/11 12:42:36 (permalink)
    At my previous job, (a golf course cafe) I'd get that question and "What's a Rueben?" all the time. I'm in salt lake city. Not the biggest metropolitan, or most food cultured, but not a small town at all. But, it would usually be teenagers and occasionally 20-30 year olds.  I'd always give the 20-30 year olds a funny look.
    lornaschinske
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/11 20:14:18 (permalink)
    We also get "What's Pastrami?" and What's Kielbasa?" an awful lot too. We serve such exotic food!
    crepeflipper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/13 03:09:01 (permalink)
    Here in Oregon we have all kinds of demographics.  In one town we spend all our time explaining what a crepe is, in another most people have had a crepe in Europe.  Even worse for cheese - they'd like the Rogue Creamery Oregonzola but they don't like blue cheeses.   We have to explain gouda, havarti, chevre and sometimes brie.  

On the other hand, everyone understands what bacon is 

And no, not everyone in every demographic knows what Chicken Cordon Blue is.  Or posole. or a blintz or vindaloo or pho.  Some of it is exposure to those cultures, but there are fads in foods (flambe or foam, anyone?) and dishes come and go.   

We have found that anytime we can engage in the dialog about food,  we may make a sale, or at least make an acquaintance.  And some items like Peaches Melba or our Chicken Caprese Crepe make a good story.  

Also listing the main ingredients helps educate our guests and reduces the number of questions.

stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Are they pulling our leg? 2012/02/13 06:44:53 (permalink)
    "Or posole. or a blintz or vindaloo or pho."

I don't know what any of those are. I've heard of a blintz, but don't have a clue what it is. The rest of them I've never even heard of.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1