Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
2011/07/09 18:19:10 (permalink)

Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture

I spotted a Growers web site that said they were a CSA. Didn't know what a CSA was so I did a little homework and discovered it means Community Supported Agriculture, not Confederate States of America!!
It's something like a Co-Op but with everything being fresh off the farm - veggies, dairy, eggs, etc. Here's a web site that explains it better than I can. I'll start using them. Are any of you using CSA's?  http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
Use this site to find CSA's near you if you're interested. They're today's Roadside stands.

4 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6360
    Re:Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture 2011/07/09 18:51:30 (permalink)
    My daughter's family in Northern Virginia and my son's family in La Crosse, WI are both members of CSAs. In Virginia you had to visit the farm to pick up your produce. In Wisconsin they delivered. You don't have a choice in that you get what is available that week. There may be an abundance of something you don't care for or there may be a scarcity of something you desire more of. It is hard to keep up unless you are feeding a family, and you have to make arrangements if you travel or vacation. For those reasons we don't belong to a CSA. It might be wise to share with other family members or neighbors.

We have an abundance of farmer's markets. Several of the small towns around Lake Minnetonka host markets on various days so we can pick and choose. We also have a very healthy food coop network in the Twin Cities and the nearest is just a few miles away. The bonus is just south of us is the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum store where they sell the fruits and vegetables developed by the University such as the Honey Crisp apple when in season.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture 2011/07/09 19:35:00 (permalink)
    Davydd,
    The web site has a section that helps you determine if a CSA is right for you. I guess it all depends on finding suppliers who meet your needs. I'm interested but my bride doesn't like veggies so it's probably not for me.
    It's like living back on a farm. You get what's growing at any given time, like it or not.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6360
    Re:Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture 2011/07/09 19:49:20 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention we have kind of a quasi CSA just west of us. It is the Gale Woods Farm Regional Park managed by the Three Rivers Park District. It is a working farm that promotes school tours. They also sell their produce, eggs, meat, honey, etc. in a little store. They don't have a lot of garden vegetables and it is not certified organic but they practice organic farming. A carton of eggs can be a mix of green,  brown and white. I use the park mostly in the winter as one of my snowshoe trails.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Are you a member of CSA? - Community Supported Agriculture 2011/07/09 19:55:18 (permalink)
    Davydd

I forgot to mention we have kind of a quasi CSA just west of us. It is the Gale Woods Farm Regional Park managed by the Three Rivers Park District. It is a working farm that promotes school tours. They also sell their produce, eggs, meat, honey, etc. in a little store. They don't have a lot of garden vegetables and it is not certified organic but they practice organic farming. A carton of eggs can be a mix of green,  brown and white. I use the park mostly in the winter as one of my snowshoe trails.

Green Eggs??? "Do you want Ham with That?"
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1