Are you still pulling your pork?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 22:02:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef

kate,
here is an old banquet line cook trick for saving your back.
get a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of wood.
rest one foot on it for a while and then change feet.
keep your knees unlocked. that can cause you to faint. learned that while in the service watching the lifers do their thing and the poor enlisted snooks (darn thats me) pass out.
try it it's helpped a lot of guys go ez on 16 hours shifts.
the gloves work until your hands tuffen up. the funny part is pastry chefs do pulled sugar work in the 185 to 195 degree area which is the same temp range of pulled pork and all they have on is thin latex gloves. i guess this is simply another reason i just can't bring myself to view bbq comp cooks in the same light that i view professional chefs or to be blunt whine ,whine, whine!!!!.
as i previously pointed out there will come a time where you no longer feel heat and this is a danger point but i guess that may be the dividing line line between pro's and comp cooks.
jack

Let's all bow down to Mr. Pro Chef now. Get over it Jack.

John
Porky Pine Kate
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/31 02:15:34 (permalink)
Thanks Jack!

Have to give that board a try! Great tip! Never would have thought of that one. Always nice when someone has something to share that is really useful. I am going to try it tomorrow. Let you know how it works for me.

Thanks again!

Porky Pine Kate

Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/31 13:58:50 (permalink)
I’m not a professional puller, but my butt is in demand, especially for parties. I like it pulled and gone over very carefully to remove any fat, obviously in a large scale production you have to move faster then what I do. I reheat in a large frying pan with quite a bit of water in the bottom and a bit of salt, maybe just a few tablespoons of sauce, not enough to hardly even notice. The trick is to just slowly warm it in the pan, not blast the heck out of it. I always figure if I’m going to be smoking I might as well put a few large butts in and bag some up for gifts.
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/09/02 17:43:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

I'm beat; I cooked 3 cases of pork shoulders, 3 cases of chicken quarters, 4 cases of ribs, and 4 cases of briskets in the last 2 days. Then today I pulled the shoulders made 4 gallons of sauce, and I’m about to slice the briskets. I’ll reheat everything tomorrow for a one-day event here in Springfield. But my question is to those of you that do this for a living, are you pulling your pork or slicing it, on a meat slicer? I buy whole butts but could just as easily buy boneless squared butts and slice them, but I’ve just from day one done it this way. Now a question for those of you that don’t cook large amounts of shoulders at a time have you ever eaten sliced pork shoulders and in another BBQ place eaten pulled pork shoulders? If so which if either do you prefer?
Thanks
Jack
Jack@DrofBBQ.com

genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/09/02 17:46:47 (permalink)
My smoker is doing its thing as we speak..We do 8 shoulders a day,reheat on cart in the smoker. Pull it all..Do not cater events do not wish to do large events,DO NOT DO RIBS..or CHICKEN..
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/09/03 07:12:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by genewj

My smoker is doing its thing as we speak..We do 8 shoulders a day,reheat on cart in the smoker. Pull it all..Do not cater events do not wish to do large events,DO NOT DO RIBS..or CHICKEN..

Looks like you hate Ribs & Chicken, I love them.

John
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/09/03 18:53:41 (permalink)
ok, heres my results. for a couple weeks, i chopped all the butts. then, for a another week, i pulled(got plenty of hand and finger

cramps). then i resumed our original method of using a processor.
and now i am waiting, but so far i have had zero, count

them.....zero comments on the difference. i guess that proves that

the customer really doesnt put that much store in the style, only the flavor.

sorry bacon, its hard to get this thing to double sp[ace....
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/09/03 23:32:21 (permalink)
Oh cool Bass Rocker now you throw a curve ball into my survey. LMAO. I was hoping we’d come to some concise consensus in this discussion so that I could rid my doubtful mind and either start slicing or while pulling stop thinking there must be an easier way to get this job done. LOL My next pork butt order will be for boneless butts and I’ll slice and then chop them so I can get the feedback or lack there of from my customers. You know the sad part of all this is as someone else pointed out BBQ people try so very hard to make their product just right every time. Worse yet I’m a perfectionist and more anal than most. I keep seeing people eating garbage (called BBQ) at fast food joints and know in my heart that the masses think anything with a red sauce on it is either pasta or BBQ. I almost have a heart attack every time I think of a Mc Rib or what ever they were called. In fact I laughed my butt off when Damons closed here and Corky’s is close to going down the same path. Of course Smoky Bones is doing well, and I don’t care what anyone says Smokey Bones doesn’t have anyone on his or her staff in Springfield that knows BBQ from Shinola. Sometimes I wonder if it’s all worth it. But then every once in a while someone orders my Q with sauce on the side, or ask if they can have just a sprinkle of extra dry rub on some brisket or pork butt, and then you know "hey we got another customer that knows what good smoked meat is all about". Makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for your post. Oh and by the way I totally agree with your comment on the DRAMA.
milemarkerbarbecue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/16 16:28:48 (permalink)
I vote for pulled pork over sliced any day. Sliced pork doesnt need to be cooked as long because the fat does not need to be fully melted. Shorter cooking time = less operating expenses, however...I believe the product isnt nearly as good as pulled pork. I cook butts for fairs and festivals. My technique is to cook all before hand(finish a few hours before I start selling), remove bone when cooked, wrap in foil, leave in smoker until running low in steam pan. I pull the pork off the smoker as we run low and takes a minute to pull apart. I remove the bone because if cooked too long, it will start to break down, whereas the pork itself (once wrapped) will be happy sitting at 180-225 deg. all day. This is definitely a two person job though...I use an all wood burning smoker too...more work but well worth the final product. No LP here.

Awesome site...tons of useful info...Thanks!
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/18 07:42:55 (permalink)
well, more research results here....
about two weeks ago, my little meat chipper, veggie chopper broke down. i usually get them at wally world, but they are no longer selling this brand, and the othes are crap... sooooo i go to sears and see this little meat slicer. so here we go. for the last two weeks i have been slicing the butts, deli style(not easy with a manual slicer). still, not a single comment.
i give up..... as long as my food is going out the window, and the bills are paid......
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/19 14:10:44 (permalink)
Bass

do you have anything asking for comments on the method or are you just hoping to catch someones response?

The reason I ask,

Could you be losing customers because of changing ways?

Is your customer base the same or does it vary?

In my experiences, people like their poke a certain way, if you keep changing it, some may nope be coming back becuase they like pulled and not sliced.

Personally, I like my poke pulled and my brisket sliced

if you are thinking of making the switch for good to chopped, look into a small buffalo chopper, up front cost is more, but definately can handle the volume in the long run.

just my nickles worth.

Happy Queing

Cajunking

bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/20 09:39:57 (permalink)
thanks for the thoughts. my customer base is mostly regulars. my sales are up over last year, i watch regulars eating on the deck, and they say great food, but thats about it. they keep coming back, but i think most dont care about the texture. i would love to get a buffalo chopper.
sometimes, someone will ask for a pulled sammy, sometimes for slaw on top.
i have been doiing brisket regularly for the last couple weeks, and it is like a freight train. prety soon, i will need to house much more of it. i smoke with steak sauce, and bbq seas rubs. then pan it with worst/coke mixture. simmer til potroast tender, about two hours.
not real smokey, but mighty good...
chill over night then slice.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/20 12:48:15 (permalink)
sounds good to me could you email me some, I am hungry and stuck here in the office today.
Raine
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/10/31 21:59:02 (permalink)
At our restaurant we hand chop it. Trying to keep up with the buffett, pulling would take too long. Buffalo chopper will make sawdust of it.

We pull it for competition.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/11/01 08:47:36 (permalink)
Hey Bass

Raine has a thought and a stress reliever

get an old butcher's table, a couple of clevers and go to work chopping the heck out of your frustrations.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/11/01 08:57:14 (permalink)
I have a long time friend that cam by my stand recently and I was bitching about having to pull pork butts. She said hey I'll do it for you and she has for the last 3 weeks. She is very fast and pulls 6 to 9 butts in a couple of hours. What's surprising is she has very little if any waste when she’s done. We shoot the breeze while she works and I enjoy her company plus I get enough Pulled Pork to last for a few days and it's a great product. I still slice my brisket but but as soon as it hits the steam table pans it falls apart because it's so tender. My brisket customers love it and don't mind that it's not sliced. (Well it was sliced) LOL. I have to go need to cook brisket and ribs today. By the way business at my new location is so bizarre sometimes on nice days it's slow and sometimes on rainy days people are standing in line (in the rain) to buy BBQ. Its nuts. Yesterday I had to refund some jerk for a slab of ribs that he claimed weren't done. He was looking at the smoke ring and when he came back I could peel the meat right off the bone with my fingers. He's used to overcooked gas fired ribs from a guy on the other end of town. I explained to him what a smoke ring was and he just bitched and moaned that they looked underdone. I gave him his money back. Geeze!!!!!!!!!! I’ll try and post some pictures as soon as I have time to get some taken. Good luck all.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/11/02 14:14:23 (permalink)
I was a Pitmaster for several years and I found that pulling the meat when it is slightly hotter than room temp was the easiest way to prepare any smoked meat. Slicing might be OK to those Yanks up north but down south it's always pulled. I know that the labor is intensive but it is well worth it. The texture is very important to taste and you just can't get that from sliced meats. We used to pull 30 butts and 15 beef chuck roasts every day so I feel your pain! Fingers always sore! Anyway I hope that all goes well and you have a great event!

David O.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/11/03 09:48:53 (permalink)
David wrote"We used to pull 30 butts and 15 beef chuck roasts every day"

David what were you doing with the chuck roast?
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/11/18 00:34:24 (permalink)
When working a large BBQ festival recently, our competition team cooked about 300 butts over a 4 day period, plus an awful lot of ribs and chicken. We sold very few butts whole, almost all of it was broken up and sold either by the pound or as sandwiches.

In order to keep up with demand during the busiest times this is how we did it:

The person doing the work wears heavy rubber gloves with liners & simply places a butt in a good sized pan (like a foil turkey roasting pan), pulls the bone and removes whatever skin and fat that he can get his hands on. If you can grab it and get it out of there...do it. Then use your hands to break up the meat...mashing, pulling etc. This will reveal more pieces of undesirable stuff that needs to come out. Give it a good sprinkle of rub...fluff it up and transfer to the heated roaster to hold until the ladies can make it into sandwiches. It is not really pulled and we never chop...the texture really depends on how long you "work" it. The less the better.

I am not saying that this is the perfect or even best way to do this, but when they are standing 5 deep at the counter for hours you do the best you can. I will say that we served over 6000 lbs of BBQ in four days and did not have a complaint to my knowledge.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1