Are you still pulling your pork?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2006/08/25 19:13:46 (permalink)

Are you still pulling your pork?

I'm beat; I cooked 3 cases of pork shoulders, 3 cases of chicken quarters, 4 cases of ribs, and 4 cases of briskets in the last 2 days. Then today I pulled the shoulders made 4 gallons of sauce, and I’m about to slice the briskets. I’ll reheat everything tomorrow for a one-day event here in Springfield. But my question is to those of you that do this for a living, are you pulling your pork or slicing it, on a meat slicer? I buy whole butts but could just as easily buy boneless squared butts and slice them, but I’ve just from day one done it this way. Now a question for those of you that don’t cook large amounts of shoulders at a time have you ever eaten sliced pork shoulders and in another BBQ place eaten pulled pork shoulders? If so which if either do you prefer?
Thanks
Jack
Jack@DrofBBQ.com

48 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 19:40:06 (permalink)
    Pulled is better, much nicer texture. Living in Tennessee, I'm kinda spoiled.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 20:57:33 (permalink)
    Gosh, You "Q" guys are so particular about the product {and proudly so] I don't care. As a consumer, if it's pulled or if it's sliced or if it's jerked off the bone if I'm hungry just slap it on a plate and I will be thankfull and happy. But then again did I mention I'm a Yankee so what the hell do I know, just cook it guys and I'll eat it. Chow Jim
    kman160
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 21:11:41 (permalink)
    have sliced it & served it with sauce on the side
    much better response when pulled & served in sauce
    am always looking for an easier way to pull it though
    bought one of those bear claws that didn't work well
    any suggestions?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 21:49:05 (permalink)
    bought one of those bear claws that didn't work well
    any suggestions?

Well I'm glad to know theres at least one BBQ tool that dosen't work that I didn't get suckered into buying. lol All I know is I've found if you cook it until it's fall-apart-tender it's easier to pull. But of course you get aditional shrinkage that way. I try to find a chunk of fat and pull the meat away from it that seems to work better than the other way around.
    Jack
    www.DrofBBQ.com
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 22:27:57 (permalink)
    I pull my pork quite often.

And, I'll be 50 in a couple of months.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 22:37:53 (permalink)
    re topic title:

And Bushie, I'm gonna tell!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 23:07:42 (permalink)
    Bushie that was tooooo much info

Back to the topic, When i do catering events and such I have pulled or chopped. The response is usually better with the pulled, but it depends on the event too.

chopping is easier, two meat cleavers and go to work on that shoulder, as for pulling I have found using two forks and my fingers work best.

sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/25 23:38:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Dr of BBQ Posted - 08/25/2006 : 19:13:46
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm beat; I cooked 3 cases of pork shoulders, 3 cases of chicken quarters, 4 cases of ribs, and 4 cases of briskets in the last 2 days. Then today I pulled the shoulders made 4 gallons of sauce, and I’m about to slice the briskets. I’ll reheat everything tomorrow

I stopped reading when I came to the word "reheat" As fare as I'm concerned reheating any meat BBQ or not I personally wont eat. .............. next day meat has a altogether different taste. Pork and turkey are two of the worst to reheat the next day. yuck!
    To me they taste like soap, sorry to be so negative but that;s the way it is going west................. Frank
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 00:10:31 (permalink)
    To me they taste like soap, sorry to be so negative but that;s the way it is going west..

Well Frank thanks for being Frank but if you think BBQ can't be reheated then you've just never had my BBQ reheated. I guarantee my Pork or Brisket taste just like it came out of the smoker when I reheat it. But of course that’s how I reheat it in the smoker. It's awesome. But to each there own.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 00:23:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

To me they taste like soap, sorry to be so negative but that;s the way it is going west..
    Going west? The allusion is lost on me.

But I digress. I'm certainly no professional, but I've been reheating and serving BBQ for years with nary a complaint. Maybe the problem is in the technique?

I just vacuum-pack and freeze it, then defrost and reheat gently over coals, in the oven (convection works best), or in the (horrors!) microwave. No big deal.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6626
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 02:49:11 (permalink)
    I like to cook pork butts low and slow in the oven with some liquid (that part is secret), take them out and let them cool in the cooking liquid. Then pull the pork and put it in North Carolina BBQ sauce (the vinegary type with ancho chiles), pile it up on a good Kaiser roll and enjoy!
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 06:32:47 (permalink)
    We got off track here LoL My question was to those of you that do this for a living, are you pulling your pork or slicing it, on a meat slicer? I buy whole butts but could just as easily buy boneless squared butts and slice them, but I’ve just from day one done it this way. Now a question for those of you that don’t cook large amounts of shoulders at a time have you ever eaten sliced pork shoulders and in another BBQ place eaten pulled pork shoulders? If so which if either do you prefer?
    Thanks
    Jack
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 07:34:30 (permalink)
    I am sure the taste is the same but I prefer it pulled vs sliced. I have had it both ways. I also like the sauce on the side.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 07:51:02 (permalink)
    === I'm beat; I cooked 3 cases of pork shoulders, 3 cases of chicken quarters, 4 cases of ribs, and 4 cases of briskets in the last 2 days. Then today I pulled the shoulders made 4 gallons of sauce, and I’m about to slice the briskets... ... for a one-day event here in Springfield.====

Dr. BBQ,

Jeez that is a lot of food. Is each case about 50 LBS? If you are doing this yourself, you're a champ. You don't mention any sides, but I'll guess they are there.
    You are treating this as a catering event where prepping beforehand is essential. I'm sure your reheating technique works fine. If you still are not satisfied with its appearance when it the hotel pan, I bet that you should have no problem breaking it up further using your tongs. They are your second fingers...

I suspect that using a slicer, combined with chopping with a cleaver will work. You can break the slices down and as long as they taste the smoke and get some crunchy bits. They should appreciate that you are serving the real thing.

When you write that you are doing this in Springfield, which one besides the town where the Simpson's live? Homer will eat anything...
    If it is in Mass., you should have no problem as they are not as discerning as their Missouri counterparts. Last week, here in Connecticut, I went to a pig roast where the whole hog was served. It looked great earlier in the day. Later, when I went to eat, it was just large chunks of meat that I had to break apart with tongs just to put it in the bun. What was criminal was that there was no BBQ sauce, slaw or other sides associated with good BBQ.

Bottom line, do it in a way that keeps things simple, but always serve it with pride and a smile.

mark
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 08:04:56 (permalink)
    jack, i tried pulling it, but its too much work, like you said. then i tried chopping for a while(couple weeks). that got old real quick.
    so i reverted back to my old way...(cringe if you want), and the entire time, i never got one compliment, complaint, or indifference.
    oh yea, the old wya is a food processor. i run them through the slicer blade, and it comes out kinda fine, with some half slices, so we call it chipped(thats what it looks like). folks around here like it, and i like the speed. i can do a whole case in about a half hour. thats chipped, portioned, and wrapped...
    funny, what you listed for this one job, is about what i do every week. whew..... tired is right.
    as jimmeats said... most will just be happy to have it. soem will always find something to gripe about.
    we have a customer who hates microwave reheated food. he came to us, because he caught his (previous)favorite place nuking his food. now he is a regular at our place, loves the fresh food.
    funny, we have been nuking for four years now...heehee
    theres good nuking and there is bad....
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 09:11:47 (permalink)
    BassRocker,
    It’s so funny you mentioned: “We have been nuking for four years now..
    There’s good nuking and there is bad”. I was just thinking about this, this morning. I can cook using only smoke, using charcoal, LP gas, natural gas, or electric. But I’m a complete novice with a microwave. Once in a great while I’ll pop popcorn in mine. I may heat water, but other than that and oh yes I heat soup in it. LOL I’m serious as a heartbeat. So give me some tips, please. Do I need the Amana 1700 w Microwave? Or will a smaller model work? Are you freezing and thawing your product and then using a microwave? Are you nuking, large portions or (enough for a sandwich) just enough for an order?
    What are you putting it in before you nuke it? Do you add a liquid like apple juice? Is your pork or brisket sauced before you freeze it? If you do freeze it. Are you nuking chicken? What’s it do to the skin? Share all your secrets here. LMAO or email me and the next time I’m down that way I’ll come by and give you a days labor. Which could be within a month or so. It’s raining cats and dogs here and my trailer is set up and nobody is going to come to this event, and it’s an only one day gig so I’ll need to freeze a bunch of product tomorrow. Want to trade a restaurant for a great concession trailer? You could move it up north and open in a week. I hate rain.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 09:20:11 (permalink)
    I bought two VERY large eating forks w/ USN stamped (OK I stole them) on them. King Kong could not bend these puppies.

Pulled is the only way unless they want sliced. Generally only 10% want sliced. For sure sauce on the side...NEVER sauce your q before service.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 10:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I pull my pork quite often.

And, I'll be 50 in a couple of months.

What? You don't have a jumbo beef stick?
    smokinokie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 10:55:25 (permalink)
    Sliced vs Pulled is very regional.

Every large Q caterer I know, that does Butts by the case uses a Buffalo Chopper:

Do a google search or copy this link (HTML images can't be posted it looks like):

http://www.chefdepot.net/graphics12/buffalo_chopper.jpg

Be careful if you buy used, the bowls can be warped, then you're screwed.

Smokin'
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 16:29:27 (permalink)
    as a consumer I prefer pulled to chopped or sliced and I prefer sliced to chopped
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/26 17:06:41 (permalink)
    Don't slice it beforehand, dries it out a little, pull it on site, let the customers decide how much sauce.

Keep the bone in butt, gives it more flavor while smoking, bone should pull out dry when properly done.

Buy a Southern Pride smoker...set it and forget it.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/27 18:19:37 (permalink)
    if you use a buffalo chopper you have to sause the meat before service.
    KBminihorse
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/27 18:40:04 (permalink)
    Definitely pulled, second choice chopped. It's always tender that way. Had a bad experience with sliced meat on a sandwich once. I took a bite and pulled the sandwich away from my mouth and it stretched like rubber. (Just like in a Three Stooges movie!) Anyhow, I've hated sliced meat ever since that time. Don't have to worry about rubber meat when it's pulled or chopped!
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/27 19:11:48 (permalink)
    jack,
    until your hands toughen up get a pair of blue rubber gloves at home depot. after a few weeks of pulling with these on your hands will toughen up and the heat will not be as noticable. as far as buffalo choppers go in my area the customer will throw that stuff right back into my face. it has a consistancy that is not correct to them and is very identifiable over true pulled pork. if you want an easy slicing pork switch from butts to collars. the price difference is about 37 cents per pound higher for collars however your cooking time will be around 6 hours in a southern pride or 7 hours in an sm150 but the difference in utility costs may make that worth it on your bottom line.
    once your hands toughen up be careful. you can burn them and not really notice it. it is something i have to remember everyday but it is worth it seeing how my customers like pulled pork and not the buffalo chopped stuff, but that is a regional thing.
    jack
    ps. coffebluff's way of choppimg gives a really good product. nice consistancy and good, no, great texture
    Porky Pine Kate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 03:40:33 (permalink)
    Hi.

We just did an event and pulled 10 cases about 65 pounds per case. We are on the second day of rest recovery! We pull each and every one by hand. For some reason this makes my back ache at about the second butt and I have to switch jobs. At some points they were coming so fast and furious that I just threw a butt in the steam table tray and pulled for the sandwich I was making. A note I have made is that if we buy from Sam's, the butts are smaller, which is good and bad. My local butcher is a tiny bit more expensive, but bigger butts and better fat caps as well as being very close in location compared to Sam's. What we do for pulling is use brown jersey gloves, topped with the cheap Sam's plastic gloves. They slide on easily and off too. Saves cleaning gloves but still protects the hands. We are very careful to remove connective tissue and as much fat as possible, while keeping a good amount of the bark in. Best sandwiches are the ones that get pulled in the steam table to my way of thinking. Just awesome. People here seem to love those long stands of the pork that peel apart so nicely. The real white parts. As CoffeeBluff will tell you, people love to watch anything to do with making Q and they don't really seem to mind waiting and watching the process of their sandwich being pulled even if it takes a few moments more. Worth the wait and never had a single complaint about how long it took.

I am also going to take a look at those Home Depot gloves next trip to the big city!

We also do not sauce. We provide 4 styles of sauce and let them opt for the kind they like. Some don't want any sauce.

I have not thoughts on slicing. We just never do it to pork.

Hey, you GUYS really enjoy your pulled pork jokes, well, that's okay, it's in the spirit of fun and BBQ and fun go together.

Back in Action now,
    Porky Pine Kate
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1962
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 12:52:12 (permalink)
    I'm a customer. The 2 places that I enjoy most pull it as did another favorite place that is now closed. Sliced, is, at least to me, fast food fare and not "true" BBQ.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 18:11:17 (permalink)
    kate,
    here is an old banquet line cook trick for saving your back.
    get a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of wood.
    rest one foot on it for a while and then change feet.
    keep your knees unlocked. that can cause you to faint. learned that while in the service watching the lifers do their thing and the poor enlisted snooks (darn thats me) pass out.
    try it it's helpped a lot of guys go ez on 16 hours shifts.
    the gloves work until your hands tuffen up. the funny part is pastry chefs do pulled sugar work in the 185 to 195 degree area which is the same temp range of pulled pork and all they have on is thin latex gloves. as i previously pointed out there will come a time where you no longer feel heat and this is a danger point but i guess that may be the dividing line
    jack
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 18:20:19 (permalink)
    roadfood administators,
    thank you so much for providing a forum for the pro's where ideas can be exchanged freely. i really enjoy this forum where professionals can openly discuss ideas without the fear of "old line" posters belittling newcomers on their thoughts and ideas.
    it is cetainly a breath of fresh air.
    jack
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Are you still pulling your pork? 2006/08/30 18:51:25 (permalink)
    I've found the barbecue tools known as bear claws to be quite handy, at least better than two forks. Sounds like others disagree.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1