Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cdziuba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2011/03/11 11:18:35 (permalink)

Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican

My husband and I are flying in to Phoenix in a few weeks, and will be in Tucson for a week.  We want to kick off our trip with a great Mexican meal in Phoenix when we land, complete with Margaritas.  I adore tamales, so any place that is festive, delicious, and somewhat near the airport that has tamales is what we're looking for.  Thanks!!!

41 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 12:39:42 (permalink)
    I can't help you in Phoenix (and, given that Phoenix is really a surprisingly Anglo city, I'll be interested to see if others can), but when you come to Tucson (down in what once was the Gadsden Purchase, the Hispanic part of Arizona) I recommend you keep driving to a couple of places down I-19 near where I live (in the winter).  Both are near Tubak, AZ, an upscale "artist colony" maybe 40 miles south of Tucson and 20 miles or so north of Mexico (come a few hours before dinner and go shopping among the seemingly hundreds of shops featuring original arts and crafts and imported Mexican handicrafts--the handmade mesquite furniture is especially stunning).

The first restaurant I'd recommend is Wisdom's Cafe' ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/wisdoms-cafe-tumacacori ), a slightly quirky little family-run place that attracts crowds and lines waiting for them to open at dinner time on weekends during the prime "snowbird" months of January - March.  This place is in Tumacacori, just south of Tubak on the frontage road, near the site of a partly ruined 17th century Mission, San José de Tumacácori .  On the grounds of the mission, by the way, during the daytime you will often find locals selling good indian "fry bread".  Wisdom's has fairly standard Sonoran/Mexican food done well by people who care.  I learned about it first by asking a local handyman who spoke Spanish-accented English where his favorite Mexican place was and he said Wisdom's was the place his wife always made him take her.

The second is in Tubak itself and considerably more upscale (though not actually "high end").  It's called Elvira's ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/elviras-tubac ) and once it was located south of the border in Nogales, Sonora (actually just across the street from "the fence").  When it was in Mexico, it was a popular lunchtime destination for shoppers from El Norte.  But all the drug violence drove away the customers and somehow they managed to move north themselves.  Anyway, they built a beautiful location in Tubac and, while it seems like the prices are somewhat higher and the menu more limited, it still offers some of the highest quality Mexican food I've had in Arizona in a lovely space.

Finally, if you can't or won't take this little drive from downtown Tucson, then I would recommend Cafe Poca Cosa, especially the "little" version ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/l..e-cafe-poca-cosa-tucson ).  There is also the other big sibling ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-poca-cosa-tucson ) but I like the little one, especially for lunch.  They offer excellent somewhat "nouveau" Mexican fare made with the freshest and best quality ingredients available and the result has always been much tastier than the standard, rather bland Mexican fare.

Beyond these, Tucson is wall-to-wall Mexican restaurants and most of them are OK (but frankly, they all offer what is essentially Sonoran food that is not my favorite Mexican).  One caveat--personally, I would NOT stand in line for the oft-recommended Mi Nidito (which is seemingly most famous because it's where Bill Clinton ate on a Presidential trip to Tucson).  I find the food nothing special.

post edited by BT - 2011/03/11 12:43:20
    cdziuba
    Junior Burger
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 12:58:35 (permalink)
    Excellent post!  Thanks for the Mi Nidito heads up, it appealed to my husband somewhat, and not to me.  The Fry Bread sounds amazing.   .
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 13:10:15 (permalink)
    old school 
    phoenix Mex not far from the Airport.:
     Tee Pee Mexican Food
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 13:45:00 (permalink)
    cdziuba
    The Fry Bread sounds amazing.   . 

If you want to try fry bread closer to Tucson, they also sell it at the not-to-be-missed Mission San Xavier del Bac, often known as "the white dove of the desert":  http://www.sanxaviermission.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ion_San_Xavier_del_Bac

The current structure dates from the late 18th century having replaced a 17th century building burned by the indians.  As the second photo below shows, the interior is awe-inspiring.  Anyway, across the parking lot is a small "shopping plaza" owned by the mission where they sell Indian handicrafts and foods including fry bread.

Source of photos:  http://www.washingtonpost...6/AR2009020601890.html
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 16:12:21 (permalink)
    Los Dos Molino's is close to the Airport and features New Mexico (The State) style dishes which means the foods can be hot & spicy. It's located in a house that was owned by Tom Mix, the old silent movies cowboy star. Very quaint atmosphere and good Margaritas. Reservations suggested for dinner. They're usually busy. Closed Sun, Mon.
    http://www.losdosmolinosaz.com/menus/PhxMenu071508.pdf
    Read the reviews:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/262796/restaurant/South-Mountain/Los-Dos-Molinos-Phoenix-Phoenix

NOW, if you want the BEST Mexican Food in AZ, go to ORIGINAL Carolina's at The Mohave Rd location. It's 5 minutes from the Car Rental Pick-up facility. True Definition of a "Hole in the Wall". No Atmosphere, No Margaritas, tables wobble, no table service, order at the counter, BUT GREAT Mexican Food. They make their own tortillas there, Buy a bag for the ride to Tucson. They melt in your mouth!
    http://www.carolinasmexicanfood.com/
    Read the reviews:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/260773/restaurant/Downtown/Carolinas-Mexican-Food-Phoenix

The Tee Pee mentioned above is good too. It's further North than the others. George "W" Bush eats there when he's in town.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4594
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 16:37:06 (permalink)
    Now that you have your recommendations for mexican, allow me to suggest some -- pizza

Yes, Pizza.  In Phoenix.  Wanderingjew is doubtlessly rolling his eyes somewhere even as I type this, before he even has read it. :-)   Sorry WJ. :-)

I have not been to this place, but it has been pronounced as one of the best, perhaps the very best, pizza in America by many writers I respect, including Ed Levine: http://www.nytimes.com/20..7/07/dining/07PIZZ.html

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 16:53:54 (permalink)
    hey, FBM, just figured they wan't something a little more upscale than heading into the 'hood as soon as they get off the plane. 
    Culture shock and all that.
    cdziuba
    Junior Burger
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 17:21:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies.  My mouth is watering as I type!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2712
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 17:21:49 (permalink)
    FBM,
    Should I recommend a spot in beautiful downtown Buckeye?
    jrp
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 19:30:29 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Now that you have your recommendations for mexican, allow me to suggest some -- pizza

Yes, Pizza.  In Phoenix.  Wanderingjew is doubtlessly rolling his eyes somewhere even as I type this, before he even has read it. :-)   Sorry WJ. :-)

I have not been to this place, but it has been pronounced as one of the best, perhaps the very best, pizza in America by many writers I respect, including Ed Levine: http://www.nytimes.com/20..7/07/dining/07PIZZ.html

TJ,
    I have been to this place 5 times. The first time was my curiosity, the other 4 times I was dragged kicking & screaming by out of town guests who had heard the hype and just had to go. 3 of the 4 said they wouldn't bother going back. As you might have gathered, IMHO it is Grossly Overrated. The Wait can be 1 to 2 hours, the place is crowded, the seating is uncomfortable, people are crammed together, the prices are high. The Pizza's are good but not outstanding to the point of praise that's heaped on them. When you look at the total experience it's not worth the time & money. All I can say is their Public Relations people deserve an Emmy, Oscar or what ever their industry award is for "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute' Catagory.
    Many on here disagree with me but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 19:33:48 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

FBM,
    Should I recommend a spot in beautiful downtown Buckeye?
    jrp

Sure, go ahead! I'm also curious to hear about it. Might be a place where my friend in Goodyear
    & I might want to go to for our monthly get together.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 19:36:58 (permalink)
    bill voss

hey, FBM, just figured they wan't something a little more upscale than heading into the 'hood as soon as they get off the plane. 
    Culture shock and all that.

Yeh, I thought of that but thought I would be remiss if I at least didn't mention it. If you note, I didn't sugar coat it.
    Tamales Happen!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7891
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 19:38:48 (permalink)
    The Tee Pee and Carolina's are both exellent choices.
    Go with the Green Corn Tamale at Tee Pee and The Chimichanga at Carolina's

Another favorite of mine  in Phoenix is Tacos De Juarez. I first went there over 20 years ago and returned back in 2006. It was just as good as ever

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-de-juarez-phoenix
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 19:53:39 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

The Tee Pee and Carolina's are both excellent choices.
    Go with the Green Corn Tamale at Tee Pee and The Chimichanga at Carolina's

Another favorite of mine  in Phoenix is Tacos De Juarez. I first went there over 20 years ago and returned back in 2006. It was just as good as ever

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-de-juarez-phoenix

Here's another review of Tacos de Juarez. I don't think they serve Adult Beverages.
    http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/304107440173
    Another place similar to Tacos de Juarez is America's Taco Shop. The ORIGINAL location is:
    2041 N. 7th St and it's the closest to the Airport. They serve Beer there along with their world famous Carne Asada. 
    http://www.americastacoshop.net/
    EDIT: I stand corrected! They DO serve Margaritas at America's Taco Shop!!
    http://www.americastacoshop.net/asset/117/doc/Americas%20Menu%20Back.pdf
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/03/11 19:59:42
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 20:02:22 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    IMHO it is Grossly Overrated

Understood.

Based on what I have read, it will remain for me the number 1 eats destination when/if I ever find myself remotely near Phoenix.  All others on the list will be no better than a very distant second.  I'll have to try it to satisfy myself on the truth of the matter.   On the other hand, I trust the original poster will take your statement on Bianco more to heart than mine, because unlike me, you've actually been there.   np there :-)

As I say this, let me tell you that my current favorite pizza of all time is also not in the traditional regional hotbeds of pizzamaking but rather in Atlanta GA
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/03/11 20:07:50
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 20:41:23 (permalink)
    I'll be all over Arizona for nearly a month starting in a few weeks so will take these recommendations as well. Thanks all.

TJ, Pizzeria Biancho is a classic example of hype piled onto hype that usually starts out with a NY Times writeup, progresses to a cable TV food show visit and then has a celebrity drop by and endorse (i.e. Martha Stewart for one). No doubt the pizza is excellent but it is in the wood-fired Neapolitan style and the making of them with the  limited and well known ingredients are equaled by a tsunami of new wood-fired pizzerias all over the country. You know what? Many of them stand up well with the mecca home of pizza in Naples, Italy.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 20:55:37 (permalink)
    Hype does not necessarily mean the pizza is bad.  Hype can be associated with great pizza.  This was the case with the pizzeria in Atlanta I referred to earlier in this thread - absolutely outstanding pizza, and the place was hyped well before it opened like few other openings in Atlanta.

I also dont believe that the quality of a pizza is exclusively determined by the type of oven it comes from.  There's too many other factors.  Oven is important, yes, just not the sole determinant.  And I'll take a 750 degree electric oven over a 500 degree wood burning, all else (such as heat distribution) being equal. I also believe that both great and lousy pizza (and all qualities inbetween) can (and are) produced in every type of pizza oven in operation around the world.   Well, maybe I should exclude conveyor ovens, eh?  ok, consider that type excluded :-)

and now.....back to your regularly scheduled Phoenix thread, already in progress......
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/03/11 20:59:31
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/11 21:23:35 (permalink)
    I found the replies to this thread excellent, particularly those from BT and Foodbme. I will aspire to match the quality of those replies when I reply to "Where Should I Eat" posts.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 01:07:01 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Hype does not necessarily mean the pizza is bad.  Hype can be associated with great pizza.  This was the case with the pizzeria in Atlanta I referred to earlier in this thread - absolutely outstanding pizza, and the place was hyped well before it opened like few other openings in Atlanta.

I also dont believe that the quality of a pizza is exclusively determined by the type of oven it comes from.  There's too many other factors.  Oven is important, yes, just not the sole determinant.  And I'll take a 750 degree electric oven over a 500 degree wood burning, all else (such as heat distribution) being equal. I also believe that both great and lousy pizza (and all qualities inbetween) can (and are) produced in every type of pizza oven in operation around the world.   Well, maybe I should exclude conveyor ovens, eh?  ok, consider that type excluded :-)

and now.....back to your regularly scheduled Phoenix thread, already in progress......

TJ, I did not say the pizza was bad, but I am certainly not endorsing a restaurant I've never been to based on hype. As for pizza, I don't think I need any explanations. I'm pretty sure I know what makes a good pizza by now. I've made enough of all varieties. I've tried everything I know about for comparisons. I've baked in a pizza parlor, I've built ovens, I've designed restaurants, I've extensively traveled the country and I made it a point to go to the source (Italy) to find out what the emulating standard is. There are several varieties of pizzas, all good in their own way, but I do have to admit I admire the skill, the ingredients and the style of the Neapolitan pizza that Pizzeria Biancho in Phoenix specializes in and I have investigated that Atlanta restaurant enough to agree with you that it might be superb. But I haven't tried it yet. Hey, I am basking in the fact that my companion, my wife, gave me my highest compliment outside the bedroom in her saying my pizzas are better than any we've had in a restaurant, and with that, I now have confidence on the subject of pizza.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 01:27:39 (permalink)
    Well, as I said, the difference is, I didn't see what I have read as hype.  And that concludes my unintended hijack of this thread......
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 02:29:01 (permalink)
    why would a tourist care about pizza in Arizona?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 02:38:17 (permalink)
    Getting back to Mexican Places---
    Juan Jaime's Tacos and Tequilas is kind of a Hip Mexican place and as the name implies, they do Tacos & Tequila. I've not been there yet but several friends have and they give it high marks, especially for their fresh, ,made from scratch, Margaritas. The tacos are the "Street Taco' variety which means they're smaller in size but very good . It's also in the general direction of going to Tucson off I-10. Go East (Left Turn) on Chandler Blvd to get there. No Tamales, but good Tacos & Margaritas.
    http://www.juanjaimes.com/
    Here's a Review; Scroll Down:
    http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/457815694303

acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 06:20:28 (permalink)
    Pick up the April edition of Arizona Highways magazine for their annual best places to eat. It;s not online yet.Here is the 2010 list which mentions www.tucsontamalecompamy.com

http://www.arizonahighways.com/travel/dining/restaurants2010.asp
    cdziuba
    Junior Burger
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 10:27:28 (permalink)
    Ok, so now that I have some nice options in Phoenix, my husband said "Hey, how about we drive halfway to Tucson and get half the drive behind us, and stop for lunch in Casa Grande?  That being said, is there a good place in Casa Grande worth the stop??
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 12:30:16 (permalink)
    acer2x

Pick up the April edition of Arizona Highways magazine for their annual best places to eat. It;s not online yet.Here is the 2010 list which mentions www.tucsontamalecompamy.com

http://www.arizonahighways.com/travel/dining/restaurants2010.asp

When it comes to Tucson, I'll note 3 places made that list, of which only 2 are "Mexican".  Tucson Tamale is one (and I admit I don't go to Tucson enough to know it) and the other is Poca Cosa which I mentioned (and where I often eat when I do go).  Another place that did make the list, but isn't "Mexican" is in Tubac and, in fact, there are a number of good restaurants with a variety of cuisines there.  Back in Tucson, Janos is great (and about as upscale as Tucson gets) but not "Mexican"
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 12:36:01 (permalink)
    cdziuba

Ok, so now that I have some nice options in Phoenix, my husband said "Hey, how about we drive halfway to Tucson and get half the drive behind us, and stop for lunch in Casa Grande?  That being said, is there a good place in Casa Grande worth the stop??

The only thing in Casa Grande worth stopping for that I know of is outlet malls:  http://www.outletsatcasagrande.com/sitemap.asp

When it comes to food, here's a source for what's there:  http://www.yelp.com/searc...p;find_loc=Casa+Grande  Apparently there IS an In 'N Out.  That "might" be worth stopping for if you are hungry.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 13:58:21 (permalink)
    cdziuba

There's a Macayo's in Gasa Grande. Macayo's is a small, local Phoenix based chain that's pretty good. I've eaten at them and have always had good meals. They have a Good Happy Hour and Specials as well. Probably your best bet in Casa Grande. there's probably some local Mom & Pops but I don't go down there that often.
    http://www.macayo.com  
    1564 E. Florence Blvd.
    Casa Grande, AZ  85222
    Telephone: 520-381-5000
    Hours:
    Mon - Thurs 11 am - 10 pm
    Fri & Sat 11 am - 11 pm
    Sunday 11 am - 10 pm
    Lunch Hour:
    Monday - Friday 11 am - 4 pm
    Happy Hours:
    Monday - Friday 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Available in Bar & Patio Only)
    Happy Hour Specials:
    $3.00 Drinks - Bottle or Pint Draft Beers, 10oz. Margaritas, House Premium Well Drinks, House Wine, & ½ Price Appetizers

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/03/12 14:06:27
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 14:08:29 (permalink)
    agree.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Arriving in Phoenix, looking to eat Mexican 2011/03/12 23:53:55 (permalink)
    bill voss

agree.

WOW! Will miracles never cease! Voss and I finally agree on something!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1