The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands

donald_lancaster

• Total Posts: 11
Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Tue, 07/6/10 9:46 AM (permalink)
The July 4, 2010 Pittsburgh Tribune Review had an article on places in southwestern Pennsylvania/ Pittsburgh Area that made their own ice cream and custard. Each place has a small write up and address and web site, if available.  

katherinecurry

• Total Posts: 39
    Re:Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Tue, 07/6/10 10:00 AM (permalink)
    Can we get you to post a link to the article?

buffetbuster

Re:Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Tue, 07/6/10 10:24 AM (permalink)
      Katherine-
      He doesn't have enough posts yet to post a link.  Here it is:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/fooddrink/s_688033.html

Donald-
      Thanks for bringing this too my attention.  I can't wait to read it and hopefully find some new places to try.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
        Re:Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Tue, 07/6/10 11:09 AM (permalink)
        I was Dave & Andy's very first customer. I was walking past on Atwood Street, I'd been walking past every day for a few weeks on my way to class, or the gym, or somewhere, and that day was the day Andy unlocked the door for the first time, right as I got there. I walked in and bought the first cone officially served. I can't remember the flavor; it would have been either vanilla, butter pecan, or cookies & cream, but most likely vanilla, because on first visit you always want to see what the basic vanilla is like.

buffetbuster

Re:Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Tue, 07/6/10 11:40 AM (permalink)
          Mosca-
          Very cool!  You sure were in the right place at the right time.  I am a fan of Dave & Andy's and think it is the best in western PA.

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Article on Southwestern Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh Area Ice Cream & Custard Stands Fri, 07/9/10 2:12 PM (permalink)
            Nice article.  Sarris' is good as in addition to the ice cream parlor, you can stock up on excellent candy.

Kerber's is also very good, and if you don't want venture all the way to the farm, they have a shop just off the turnpike (Irwin exit) on Rt 30.

Passed by Sugar  Spice many times but have never been.  Will have to try it next trip.

I can't believe Handel's in West Mifflin was not listed.  I hope they haven't closed since last I was there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com