Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6188
2009/11/24 14:03:10 (permalink)

Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass

Back from Cambridge and Boston. Want to thank everyone who gave us eating suggestions. It was SPLASH weekend at M.I.T. and my teenagers were taking a few classes there, so time was at a premium, but my wife and I were free for a while.
    My thoughts: We did get to the Union Oyster House, I'd agree with people who told me the food was average(at best)...but it was such a pleasure to sit in the atmosphere of this historic building and dine in the shadows of people like Daniel Webster....Staff was friendly and I'll always remember it.
    We passed the All Star sandwich place, in one of our rush cab rides going somewhere else...will have to get there some day...but our hotel manager in Cambridge said it was very good. He ,however, gave us the find of the trip. He told us, whether we wanted a sandwich or great meal...a superb place was the Asgard Irish Bar and Restaurant, a rave place of locals. We did a little research on the hotel computer which confirmed this,,,, WOW... WHAT A RESTAURANT!
    This place was designed and sections built in Ireland for assembing here in America.Nice family atmoshere, My wife and I loved our food so much, we went back with the whole family the next day...it's just a very short walk from MIT and that also made it a great choice. Great friendly staff,great atmosphere and GREAT food in very gererous portions.
    The hit of both visits was the Irish stout stew...I couldn't get enough of this dish..deep in flavor. 
    The half pound Asgard burger was one of the best I've had.Grilled as I requested and I added Irish cheddar,grilled mushrooms and red peppers to go with the tomato and onion and lettuce supplied on the large multi-grain roll. 
     My son loved his "steak Fritte"...and raved about the onion rings that came with it along with great homemade fries. My wife, an onion ring lover, proclaimed them the best she ever had...and they were great. 
     My daugter had their chicken pot pie and could barely finish it,but loved it so much she sure did and the Sheperds Pie on our second visit was outstanding. We'll definitely return for a third visit some day.
      Thanks again to all who gave us ideas.....If any have visited the Asgard, I'd love to hear your thoughts, and if you're ever in Cambrige, look it up on Massachussetts Ave,
<message edited by leethebard on 1 day

I didn't get any photographs of the food, and my pictures aren't as goos as the ones on their website...so this is it. There's a link there also for the complete menu...again I truly loved the Stout stew!!!!
http://www.classicirish.com/asgard-home.php

post edited by leethebard - 2009/11/24 14:08:23

4 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass 2009/11/24 16:51:44 (permalink)
    Hey Lee, Nice trip report.  I will have to try The Asgard next time I'm in the area.
    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass 2009/12/11 14:15:55 (permalink)
     We like the Asgard and  went there for St. Pat's Day a few years ago. Good food and vibes, even with the mob.
      Also, you're just down the street from the famous Mary Chung... or Toscaninni's for ice cream...
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass 2009/12/11 14:43:45 (permalink)
    I'm constantly hearing about Asgard Irish Pub...I've got to get out there...and now I know to get the burger
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Asgard Irish Pub And Restaurant in Cambridge Mass 2009/12/11 14:45:23 (permalink)
    Looks great.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1