Asheville, NC

Author
llwalsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/08/18 22:32:57 (permalink)

Asheville, NC

I didn't heed the warning to always call ahead so arrived to find Tomato Jam closed on weekends. Next I tried for Tupelo Honey but the downtown was just hopping on Saturday afternoon and not a parking spot was to be found on the blocks I circled. I had just decided to give up and continue on to Augusta when a car pulled out and I pulled in in front of a place called Creperie Bouchon at 62 N. Lexington. Considering it an omen I decided to eat right there and that was a great decision. To get to the restaurant you step into a small bricked front 'yard' then follow a brick path between buildings to a lovely bricked courtyard in back. There are about a dozen tables shaded by umbrellas or trees as well as seating inside the creperie. They had quite a selection of savory and sweet crepes as well as sandwiches. The crepes are huge (16 inches in diameter) fresh made to order. I tried a Pacific Rim filling of rock shrimp, cabbage, & coconut bechamel - tasty but a little messy to eat even with a fork and knife. The more traditional ham and swiss filled crepe was excellent and would be easy eating on the road if you couldn't stay (kind of like a quesadilla). There were several others I would have liked to try but I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a menu. If you are not too full there is a separate business offering homemade ice cream along the brick path to the courtyard.

6 Replies Related Threads

JDAStonewall
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/20 14:39:03 (permalink)
    As the husband of a wife that loves crepes and eating outside, thanks for sharing your find. We will have to check it out next time we are in Asheville.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/21 17:05:54 (permalink)
    We visited Creperie Bouchon for the first time at the end of July.  It's a magnificent little oasis, and I'm looking forward to returning.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6442
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/21 20:26:27 (permalink)
    llwalsh

I didn't heed the warning to always call ahead so arrived to find Tomato Jam closed on weekends.

Welcome to Roadfood, you have officially been "Travelinmanned". 
    (Official definition of "travelinmanned":  Arriving at a Roadfood place and having them be closed.)

Glad you found such a good replacement for your planned stop.
    big666dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/24 21:40:58 (permalink)
    Thi shappened to us at 12 Bones in Asheville. We were on a mnoster road trip and were coming from Nashville and were hoping to get to 12 Bones for dinner and they had closed for the day. We were surprised because we got there at leat 40 minutes before their posted closing time. What we didn't factor was that we had crossed a time zone and were wayyy late and didn't know it. D'oh!

By the way, Tomato Jam was wonderful the next morning. I had something called "Uncle Funky's Breakfast Grits". We don't do grits in Canada, but our family sure does now!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/26 15:15:02 (permalink)
    That rings a bell, Big Dog.  (looks over bookmarks) Yes!  I read your story at Happymouth last year.  My wife and I were very envious of your trip.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Asheville, NC 2011/08/26 15:32:59 (permalink)
    big666dog

Thi shappened to us at 12 Bones in Asheville. We were on a mnoster road trip and were coming from Nashville and were hoping to get to 12 Bones for dinner and they had closed for the day. We were surprised because we got there at leat 40 minutes before their posted closing time. What we didn't factor was that we had crossed a time zone and were wayyy late and didn't know it. D'oh!

By the way, Tomato Jam was wonderful the next morning. I had something called "Uncle Funky's Breakfast Grits". We don't do grits in Canada, but our family sure does now!

I'm from western NY state orginally, but have lived in the south since I was 18, except for a short stint in California. I LOVE southern food, especially grits. The last time I went to NY state I forgot they don't do grits. I go into a local breakfast place and said "I'll have two eggs over easy, bacon, grits and toasts." The lady taking my order looks at me and says "what in hell's a grit?"!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1