Asking For Tips

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/06 22:14:19 (permalink)
If the server is doing their job then tips should not be an issue...they will come. Crappy tippers exist and can't be changed. They come back...well, sickness causing intervention isn't warrented but gross stuff is acceptable.
ohman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 262
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/08 08:11:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong if they ask if the customer wants change back.

I would guess that cost you tips, I tip very well but if I am asked for one I leave nothing.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/11 12:45:24 (permalink)
I ate at Goldberg's Deli in Belleveue, Washington (somewhat overpriced, but valid deli food) and the waitress said "I'll be right back with your change."

I felt that was a better approach. Turns out I needed change. If I had put in the full amount of the meal and my voluntary tip, I would have been able to then say "No, don't bother."
ohman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 262
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/11 21:24:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I ate at Goldberg's Deli in Belleveue, Washington (somewhat overpriced, but valid deli food) and the waitress said "I'll be right back with your change."

I felt that was a better approach. Turns out I needed change. If I had put in the full amount of the meal and my voluntary tip, I would have been able to then say "No, don't bother."

I like the way she did that, Great idea!
cowboy bob 2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/14 20:32:10 (permalink)
I have a tip jar on my front counter. I rake in mon to thur about $5,00 a day. on Fridays 10.00 I didn't want one but certain of my customers wanted one. I have a lot of customers who would go to the local store for me to get me supplies. This is not a business for everyone. you get back what you give! an exaMPLE suppose you had everything cleaned up and were going to lock up and a reg. cust. had to have something to eat.
Would you say sorry charlie and go home.
Or would you say: sure I'll feed you.
Guess what I do? I feed them. they usuall ask how much? I give them my regular prices and they tip me for the service Generousely might I add.
Cowboy Bob in Lancaster PA
Freeloader
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/26 23:35:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

It's interesting to see what issues set off Roadfooders. Tipping seems to be a red state-blue state type of thing here. What we need is some levity! Check out the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" series radio spots. Hilarious! My view on tipping is summed up with "Mr. Fancy Coffee Shop Coffee Pourer". Enjoy...

http://budlight.whipnet.com/Bud%20Light%20-%20Real%20Men%20of%20Genius%20-%20Mr.%20Fancy%20Coffee%20Shop%20Coffee%20Pourer.mp3

Funnier ones available on the main directory as well...
Freeloader
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/26 23:38:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

http://budlight.whipnet.com/

Anheuser-Busch came down on a few sites that were hosting the MP3's...
http://dudlight.blogspot.com for the whole story including the demand letter from AB.
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/28 07:02:19 (permalink)
that is an awesome atitude to have, bob.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/30 10:01:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

that is an awesome atitude to have, bob.

Isn't it Bassrocker?

Waytago, CCB!

Copper
sho4go
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/30 16:49:01 (permalink)
I have watched a particular group of customers (profession) repeatedly leave our restuarant without tipping. Some of these people were our customers when I was the primary waitstaff and I guess that the notion was that, "the owner wasn't due tips" or "maybe the owner would be offended if I tipped", I'm not sure. But, when we hired enough staff that I was no longer on the floor as a server, this group continued their practice of "non-tipping". Now then, we serve on disposables, but we provide non-hosted (find your own table, somebody will be with you in just a sec)"full service". Orders are taken, refills are provided, food is delivered, desserts are offered and delivered. The bill is paid at a cash register on the way out. Now, why would someone think that a tip was not in order? Don't know, but when I placed the jar on the counter, some of these folks would ask, "what's the jar for?" My reply, "hey, some people leave a tip on the table and some folks need change. If you need change, you don't have to go back to the table, you can just leave it in the jar since we work on a tip pool basis." Now this "reminder" did nudge some of these folks into reality, that these servers need tips to survive, however, some remained oblivious. You can PM me if you like and I will tell you which profession I am talking about, but I don't want to disparage a whole group of people for the actions of a few unthinking folks in this small town.

Bill in East Texas
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/30 17:46:18 (permalink)
"Do you need change?"

The question never comes up with me, I include the tip when I pay the tab and simply say "you're all set" before they can ask. I think this makes for a more pleasant experience all around.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/08/31 09:49:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

The idea of "asking for a tip" has never entered my mind. The customers who overtip far outweigh the cheap ba$tards. Everytime. 10% is substandard. I find it; (10%), insulting.

Copper

Leaving NO tip would be insulting. 10% might be substandard, but it sure beats getting stiffed. How are you going to treat "substandard" tippers in your new business enterprise? Some customers feel a tip isn't required when the owner is the waitstaff. Just wondering. pb
Shirley U. Jest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/14 21:00:19 (permalink)
Saw a jar next to a cash register at a Mama Fu's, and the jar read, "our cooks need gas money, please contribute."
V960
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/21 09:06:21 (permalink)
They don't put down 15%, shoot them in the head on the way out, unless your waitstaff are idiots (not an unknown occurance).
pacman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 160
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/24 11:39:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

"Do you need change?"

The question never comes up with me, I include the tip when I pay the tab and simply say "you're all set" before they can ask. I think this makes for a more pleasant experience all around.

Greyghost,

I'm glad this works for you. For some reason it almost never works for me. It seems I rarely have the correct amount to do check + tip and be done with it. I would much prefer the waitstaff to say "I'll be right back with your change" which gives me the chance to say " ok " or " you're all set ". I absolutly HATE "do you need change?". I guess it wouldn't be so bad if they actually looked at what you handed them, but, most don't they just say the words automatically.

Case in point, a few weeks ago I ate at the local "diner" (a term I use sparingly for this place, but, that is another thread) My check was about $18. The only bills I had on me were (2) $50's, which dosen't normally happen, I laid the 50 on the tray with the check and the server came back and said ... you guessed it... "Do you need change?". Good Grief, a stupid da**ed question if ever there was one. She sure as HE** was not getting a $32 tip. As a matter of fact, based on the service, she would be lucky to get 15%.

As customers, we shouldn't need to worry about trying to make it more pleasant all around by being ready to have check + tip just to avoid needing change. Any place in the service business should automatically offer you your change and give you the chance to say "keep it" or not.

Dan
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/28 12:00:24 (permalink)
THE AUDACITY of some people is often beyond understanding, last night while watching tv, the phone rings, caller ID says its a new pizza shop I have yet to try. The young lady says "This is Amber at xyz pizza, we'e closing out our register and want to know if you want to add a tip on your credit card...." After a moment or 2 of startled silence I politely informed her she had the wrong number.. A few moments later theres a knock on the door... another young lady is holding a pizza, now I'm really confused (and TOTALLY sober)before I can say anything my daughter and her fiance pull in the driveway and my daughter calls out, "Is that our pizza?" They had called in the order on the way over! My confusion aside I couldn't believe the phone call.........
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/28 12:23:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

THE AUDACITY of some people is often beyond understanding, last night while watching tv, the phone rings, caller ID says its a new pizza shop I have yet to try. The young lady says "This is Amber at xyz pizza, we'e closing out our register and want to know if you want to add a tip on your credit card...." After a moment or 2 of startled silence I politely informed her she had the wrong number.. A few moments later theres a knock on the door... another young lady is holding a pizza, now I'm really confused (and TOTALLY sober)before I can say anything my daughter and her fiance pull in the driveway and my daughter calls out, "Is that our pizza?" They had called in the order on the way over! My confusion aside I couldn't believe the phone call.........

Years ago I used to kid my wife about how I really needed to get a cell phone so I could order apizza while driving home. I've had cell phones now for about ten years and I still haven't ordered while driving. I may just do it tonight.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/28 15:45:10 (permalink)
quote:

Leaving NO tip would be insulting.

Naw, a penny left on the table would be insulting, if you left nuthin, wait staff might think you just "forgot".

quote:

10% might be substandard, but it sure beats getting stiffed.

If the food was hot and right when it got to the table the customer owes 10% to the staff, if it was not, as a customer and waitstaff, I would find out why, AND MAKE IT RIGHT!. Its not normally the wait staff and THEY doesn't deserve to be stiffed. :)

quote:
How are you going to treat "substandard" tippers in your new business enterprise? Some customers feel a tip isn't required when the owner is the waitstaff. Just wondering.

If they asked for anything extra....blah blah blah, and didn't clean up after themselves, they wouldn't be served again.
But you see, I can tell them to Kiss my A$$, its the glory of America.

Porkbeaks edited to say: if they acted in the way stated directly above and left a penny or nuthin, they wouldn't be served again, or at the very least be required to cough up a dang good "Tip for living". Copper
Copper
V960
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/09/30 15:59:02 (permalink)
My father said never leave just a penny because it gives them something to throw at you.
porkbeaks
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/01 15:53:03 (permalink)
I wonder if anyone ever tips the Soup Nazi. If they don't, I wonder if he refuses them service thereafter. If so, I wonder how he keeps track. Just wonderin', pb
V960
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/01 16:49:36 (permalink)
Soup Nazi used to have a jar beside the register which if you made too much noise throwing the change into he would give you a dirty look...of course I never saw him do anything but give dirty looks so whatever.
risotteria
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 00:54:49 (permalink)
asking if you need change expedites service. one point of good service is to timly serve and service your tables.returning to a table with change to find the patrons have either left, or diden't want change to begin with is wasted time and energy for anyone involved in that transaction , including the patrons. If you feel that you have been put on the spot by the question do you need change, you are probably the customer who under tips and overstays. Review the check when presented and decide what to do, just like when you get a menu...Duh!
porkbeaks
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 07:46:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by risotteria

blah, blah,blah... If you feel that you have been put on the spot by the question do you need change, you are probably the customer who under tips and overstays. Review the check when presented and decide what to do, just like when you get a menu...Duh!

I really hate it when I hear or read the expression "Duh!". It's especially irritating when used following a statement of total crapola like that quoted above. pb
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 09:22:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by risotteria

asking if you need change expedites service. one point of good service is to timly serve and service your tables.returning to a table with change to find the patrons have either left, or diden't want change to begin with is wasted time and energy for anyone involved in that transaction , including the patrons. If you feel that you have been put on the spot by the question do you need change, you are probably the customer who under tips and overstays. Review the check when presented and decide what to do, just like when you get a menu...Duh!

I have to agree with Porkbeaks, "DUH"....does NOT help make your point. Beside that, whatd does "Review the check when presented and decide what to do, just like when you get a menu" mean? Of course you Review the chek AND make a Decision. The issue is once you make the decision and give them the money they should NOT ask "Do you need change?". See my previous post earlier on this page, my check was $18 and I laid a $50 on the tray, why on earth would ANYONE ask "Do you need change?" Jeezzz, how may 178% tips do you expect in a day?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 09:52:46 (permalink)
Reading this thread got me thinking as to what my response will be the next time that happens to me. When asked if I "need change back" I plan on tilting my head, looking them directly in the eye and with my best quizzical look say "Well, certainly"! Perhaps the shock factor will give them pause so the next diner needn't suffer that rudeness.
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 11:41:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Reading this thread got me thinking as to what my response will be the next time that happens to me. When asked if I "need change back" I plan on tilting my head, looking them directly in the eye and with my best quizzical look say "Well, certainly"! Perhaps the shock factor will give them pause so the next diner needn't suffer that rudeness.

Well Said!!!!!!!
Burgerman1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/22 19:32:56 (permalink)
You know, it's pretty easy to tell when you are being played for a tip, there are some unique tell-tale signs.

1) Wife is ignored while husband will be referred to as honey, dear, sweetie or some other term of endearment.

2) The waitress gives you extra portions that you are never charged for.

3) Ahhh, the gentle touch of the hand to a shoulder.

4) And of course the one that we are discussing here, "Do you need change?" This is my particular favorite that I handle one of two ways...

1) Heck yes dear, give me my chane...my wife will take care of the tip! This works extremely well if you are in the company of your wife or other female...doesn't work with a group of guys or if you are dining alone.

2) If you are dining alone and asked "Do you need change," a good reply is "do you need a tip?" The shock will leave her flabargasted for a few seconds while you sort your coins and leave the correct tip.

BUT on the other side of this discussion, we have a family that comes into our restaurant, we affectionaly refer to them as the Adams Family. It's a mother and two teenage sons, the mother is fry short of an order and the two sons think they are God's gift to everyone one of our waitresses, doesn't matter if they are 16 or 61. While they are here they will run a waitress to death, constant refills, extra salad dressings, more this and that and expect to be entertained by the waitress at all times. I really have done my best to run them off, but they keep coming back like a bad dream. They'll easily run up a bill of $20 to $30...and never, never once has a tip been left.

V960
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/10/24 16:30:30 (permalink)
Pacman,
Are you trying to bring common sense to this? I don't mind the question "do you need change?" when I have put down an amount which is within reason for being the tab plus a descent tip.

If I put down what you did then the waitstaff just cut their tip by 10% w/ such a stupid question. I've actually had the question asked to me when using a credit card...they expect me to give them the credit card?

Common sense needs to rule as in most situations on this earth.
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/11/04 00:41:28 (permalink)
I don't like the "do you need change" bit myself but I know a lot of people that are servers. Trust me 90% of them don't make squat! Take an establisment that has to raise there prices due to sharp rent hikes, Suppliers charges. Most customers are miffed for a while and hold back the "TIP" remembe that servers only make a few dollars and hour and have a hard time getting the hours they need to get the amount of tips they need to stay off wellfare. Its a fact of life.
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

RE- Auction Buyers Premium--
Here in the rural heartland, a few of the dealers have posted notices of Buyers premiums on their auctions...but the crowd at these events has been much smaller than at the usual auction. Buyers bitch about paying Sales Tax (especially since Ebay sales have soared) much less a fee for buying from a dealer. A couple of guys tried to charge a registration fee to obtain a bid number...This died a quick death also.

I am a believer in " a Tip is a reward for good service" and don't want to have that legislated into the general fee for whatever I have purchased.
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Asking For Tips 2005/11/04 00:57:00 (permalink)
After reading all the posts I am in favor of putting a sign on the door, menu "NO TIPPING"! 15% has been added to your bill. “If you have a problem, see the management”. The person at the register should have a bull horn and announce "WE HAVE A CHEEP BA$TARD LEAVING THE BUILDING". If someone complains.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1