The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Asking For Tips

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 65 of 65
The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
RE: Asking For Tips Fri, 11/4/05 1:45 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jojobeans

I don't like the "do you need change" bit myself but I know a lot of people that are servers. Trust me 90% of them don't make squat! Take an establisment that has to raise there prices due to sharp rent hikes, Suppliers charges. Most customers are miffed for a while and hold back the "TIP" remembe that servers only make a few dollars and hour and have a hard time getting the hours they need to get the amount of tips they need to stay off wellfare. Its a fact of life.

Why, when people want to make the argument that servers should be tipped more (or regardless of service) is the argument made that they "don't make squat"? Are we talking about charity for the underprivileged, or a gratuity for service?

If a server cannot make a living wage -- enough to stay off welfare -- then they are in the wrong line of work. Most servers that I know do a lot better than just avoid welfare. My ex made, on average, over $100/night, cash money, fifteen years ago at, of all places, a Bennigan's.

Copperhedzkettle

• Total Posts: 293
    RE: Asking For Tips Fri, 11/4/05 8:28 AM (permalink)
    quote:

After reading all the posts I am in favor of putting a sign on the door, menu "NO TIPPING"! 15% has been added to your bill. “If you have a problem, see the management”. The person at the register should have a bull horn and announce "WE HAVE A CHEEP BA$TARD LEAVING THE BUILDING". If someone complains.

Bwa-hahahahahhahahahah

I will add this to the discussion. When I was a server I never asked if a customer needed change. However, when I returned to the table to collect the little tray and saw cash instead of a card I made it a point to ALWAYS say, "I will return shortly with your change".

Most of the time if the rest was meant for me they would tell me so and I could bid them a fond Adieu. Nothing worse than returning with change to find them gone and never having the chance to thank them. That was always worse for me than making an unnecessary trip back to the table.

Makes for a Win-Win situation!

Copper

jojobeans

• Total Posts: 137
      RE: Asking For Tips Fri, 11/4/05 11:14 AM (permalink)
      I don't know about you but $100.00 a day would not be even close to what I need to live, my insurance and mortgage is that much alone. They take a lot of guff and a lot of people squeak when they walk or are on fixed incomes here in florida, so to see only a dollar & change left OR less is not uncommon for a $12.00 ticket.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
        RE: Asking For Tips Fri, 11/4/05 2:27 PM (permalink)
        quote:

I don't know about you but $100.00 a day would not be even close to what I need to live, my insurance and mortgage is that much alone. They take a lot of guff and a lot of people squeak when they walk or are on fixed incomes here in florida, so to see only a dollar & change left OR less is not uncommon for a $12.00 ticket.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough when I put in bold letters that the $100+/night my ex made was FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. For five days of work per week, she brought into the house somewhere between $500 and $600 cash money. At the time, it was enough for her to drive a new car, pay the rent, and have all the essentials that she needed -- and, it was more than she could have made elsewhere, in the same number of hours, with the same flexibility of schedule (short of becoming a topless dancer, and, quite frankly, she didn't have assets to pull that off!). In my area of the country, there are a lot of professionals (administrative assistants, bookkeepers, etc.) who might still not take home over $500/week.

jojobeans

• Total Posts: 137
          RE: Asking For Tips Fri, 11/4/05 2:38 PM (permalink)
          Sorry about that! I know of a few girls that have made $39.00 for a 6 hour shift last week. They are very good. A word to the wise for servers that are looking to work in Florida. "If the sign says EARLY BIRD SPECIAL" Stay away!!!
          Thank for clearing that up I was feeling sorry for you

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 65 of 65

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com