The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 87
Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 8:24 AM (permalink)
The rules of induction insist on no alcohol the first 14 days. I read their carb counter and it indicates my particular favorite has zero carbs. Why can't I indulge? If I do, will it void the chemistry of the diet?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 9:22 AM (permalink)
    From what I hear, alcohol turns to sugar in your system. The first 14 days (Induction) is to rid your body of sugars and turn it into a fat burning machine through ketosis. Follow the diet rigidly for the first 14 days-it is amazing how the fat is burned. You get thinner all over...in your legs, your hips, your back, your neck...everywhere.

Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 9:26 AM (permalink)
      Cheesewit, that makes sense to me. I hate to do it, but I am putting the bottle up for 14 days

Maybe not

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Gator

• Total Posts: 42
        RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 12:34 PM (permalink)
        I would urge people to approach Atkins, or any other "magic bullet" diet, with caution. There is research being done, but, as yet, the long-term affects of no-carb diets are unknown. It may indeed work "miracles" in the first few weeks, but, as a couple posters have noted, often willpower fades, and the weight returns, and this sort of "yo-yo" pattern may be detrimental to one's health.

I'm no food saint myself, believe you me, but attaining a healthy weight is really part of a healthy lifestyle, which most would agree should include moderate portions and some physical exercise. You may not experience weight loss as rapidly, but I suspect you will feel pretty good once you have developed a regime of walking, or biking or jogging.

At the very least, consider accompanying the Atkins diet, etc., with an exercise regimen, even something as undramatic as walking a mile or two a day. That way, if you give in to temptation and eat a bag of potato chips, you'll be able to stabilize your weight, rather than balloon back up.

Regards,

blake76

• Total Posts: 41
          RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 12:44 PM (permalink)
          I don't know about alcohol, but processed stuff bearing the "no-carb" label contains some pretty wierd substances that *do* mess with your chemistry. I was delighted to find some "no-carb" chocolate, but the side effects made me vow to never touch the stuff again. I've been on Atkins since August, and have lost about 20 lbs. (Conquering the cravings is the hardest part, for me; I caved and had a veggie samosa this week; hey, if you're going to cave, it might as well be with flair.) Good luck--

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
            RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 1:04 PM (permalink)
            The first two weeks is the hardest but the most important. You're trying to break your craving for sugar (carbs). It takes that long to get it out of your system.

I'm going back on it really soon. What I hate giving up is whole milk. Sure, you can have cream, but who drinks a glass of cream?

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3593
              RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 2:35 PM (permalink)
              First of all, induction does emphasize that you should have 2 cups of salad/veggies every day. This provides some filling while not giving excess fat to burn off. I usually try to do my salad for lunch so I can enjoy dinner (last night was steak with mushroom sauce andbrussel sprouts with olive oil and fresh parmesan). It takes a week or to to stop the carb craving-------just something we deal with. Since I started, I've lost 7 lbs. I enjoy my libation a few nights a week. It is better if you don't (I know I'm a bad boy.....) but it only causes the body to burn the sugar in the beverage first, setting you back a day. I'm at the point where I may not have another for a week to just to get over the weight hump I'm aiming for. Anyways, keep it up. Another thing------weigh yourself at the same time (preferably in the morning before breakfast) and try not to weigh yourself every day. The body does ping-pong some and it can be disappointing to see the weight go up, however the next day it may be down twice as much. It's better to weigh once a week. Most of all, I use it as an excuse to enjoy some things I would not normally buy-----I got some delicious under 8 count shrimp the other day and marinated them in olive oil, lemon and garlic and then grilled them. Yum! Keep it up and you'll see results soon.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
                RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 3:11 PM (permalink)
                I'm sorry but I just can't wrap myself around this diet intellectually. Unless I have been misinformed complex carbohydrates form the basis of what one's brain needs for complex reasoning. On the other hand a meat dominated diet is very good for someone requiring intense physical work. Now I don't know for a fact what the majority of people on the Atkins diet do for a living or what their exercise routines are like but I would guess most are not employeed in heavy manual labor jobs. For instance in ancient Asia Buddhist monks dined on a total vegetarian diet(both for religious reasons and the belief that it was most conductive to a contemplative life) whereas the peasant members of society ate a meat rich diet to sustain them in their heavy physical work.
                I would have to agree with the statements made by Gator about moderate consumption of food mixed with some physical exercise being the best approach to your ideal weight, whatever that might be. I'm no saint when it comes diets, I've got about 20 pounds gained since high school that I would not mind eliminating but that has more to do with my distaste for formal exercise than my diet of both meat and carbs. I just love too many different foods to give any one up completely(especially a near gluttonous desire for cheeses, good breads and ale). I do try to avoid most processed foods, except for potato chips, and bacon, oh and sausage.
                But heck if the Atkins diet works for you go for it, it's still a semi free country.

EdSails

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 3:46 PM (permalink)
                  Topferment,
                  Once you get into Atkins and past the first 2 or 3 weeks the idea is to reintroduce carbohydrates into your diet. They just suggest doing it gradually and keeping track so you can see when your weight starts to go up and then use that as a max amount of carbs. By then a person should be able to eliminate the craving for carbs and just be able to enjoy a moderate portion of pasta, potatoes or bread with their meal. Atkins in fact emphasizes that the no-carb portion of the diet should not be longer than 3 to 4 weeks. Like you, I know I should exercise but just don't----at least in the amount that I should. And by the way-----cheese is ok in Atkins, in fact recommended as part of induction. And I'm just waiting a few weeks until I can hoist a glass of Belmont Brewery's Full Sail Ale again!

Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 5:24 PM (permalink)
                    I went to Ryan's steak house for lunch today. It has a pretty decent buffet and I was sure that there were many foods I could have. As it turned out, there were not so many.

I did not do the fried chicken cause of the breading. I did not do the ribs becaue of the sauce, I did not do the meatballs because of the sauce. I did not do the fish because of the breading. Most of the veggies I could not do because of the beans, corn, sauce, etc.

I could not do the desserts.

I could not do most of the salad bar because of the unknowns.

I did have a hamburger patty, some cucumbers with fake egg on top with some cheese, olive oil and a little vinegar. I had a piece of rotisserie chicken.

Today is my second day and I will finish the day with less than 20 carbs. I ain't suppose to do this but I am having a evening libation with some low moisture mozzerala.

I will keep you apprised if you wish.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                      RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 5:31 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by blake76

I don't know about alcohol, but processed stuff bearing the "no-carb" label contains some pretty wierd substances that *do* mess with your chemistry. I was delighted to find some "no-carb" chocolate, but the side effects made me vow to never touch the stuff again. I've been on Atkins since August, and have lost about 20 lbs. (Conquering the cravings is the hardest part, for me; I caved and had a veggie samosa this week; hey, if you're going to cave, it might as well be with flair.) Good luck--

Watch out for the sorbitol and maltitol.

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                        RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 5:49 PM (permalink)
                        Yes, Sundancer, keep us posted please! I'm sure there are many of us who want to try Atkins, but we are hesitant for many reasons. Let us know about your progress, and most of all, good luck

Nancy

EdSails

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 6:44 PM (permalink)
                          Sundancer, I don't know if you have any around there, but I've found the best place out here to eat is at one of the Brazilian barbecues. A lot of different grilled meats plus the salad bar and I'm a happy camper. I do a lot of grilling on Atkins------dry rubs are just fine on it. I've also replaced my libations with club soda. It also serves to up my count on the glasses of water per day. I agree----desserts are a problem. I've whipped together some cream cheese and Splenda sweetener to make a dessert to just satisfy me----not great, but it fills the need.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
                            RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 8:06 PM (permalink)
                            EdSails - Thanks for clearing that up, I was under the impression one could never eat carbs on the diet.

goldsborscht

• Total Posts: 128
                              RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Thu, 09/11/03 8:13 PM (permalink)
                              Hey, you can eat all the pork rinds you want. What diet offers you that?

EliseT

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/12/03 5:04 AM (permalink)
                                I've become weirdly enamored with Jell-o Sugar-free Peach and Sugar-free Watermelon cups (in your grocer's refrigerator). It's oddly satisfying to eat something with zeros in all the nutrition categories. Does anyone have creative ideas for breakfast? I am an eat-on-the-run person. I am not supposed to have lunchmeat and hard-boiled eggs because of cholesterol. I've been eating string cheese for months and I'm pretty darn sick of string cheese.

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
                                  RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/12/03 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                  Not to get too geeky; here's a peer-reviewed paper on ethanol and blood glucose levels:

Ind. J. Pharmac. 9 (2) 167-169 (1977)
                                  Alcoholic Hypoglycemia :
                                  Its Relation to Blood Ethanol Concentration
                                  K. N. GARG and S. SHARAN
                                  Department of Pharmacology
                                  Medical College, Rohtak

Abstract 0 Effect of alcohol on blood glucose level was
                                  observed after obtaining similar plasma ethanol concentrations in
                                  normal as well as starved rabbits. No alteration in blood glucose
                                  level as well as in liver glycogen content was observed in normal
                                  rabbits. However, the starved animals revealed a marked fall in
                                  blood glucose level accompained by depleted liver glycogen stores.
                                  Thus we observe that ethanol is capable of producing hypoglycemia
                                  in the animals with exhausted hepatic glycogen stores, irrespective
                                  of the amount administered to them.

Note that if you're on a carb-controlled diet, you are, in fact, a starved rabbit.

As for breakfast, I'm all for a thick, thick, thick layer of acceptable peanut butter on either Ry-Krisp or suitable toasted bread. Peanut butter contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are unique among fats in that they are a direct source of energy.

Eric

EliseT

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/12/03 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                    Unfortunately, bread is one of the biggest forbidden foods on the low-carb diet. With the low-glycemic-index diet, you can have any bread other than "white". Even sourdough is acceptable. I guess I could have peanut butter-filled celery sticks.

And call me a your worst PETA-tree-hugger names, but the hungry bunnies make me sad (imagine an emoticon making a moue).

Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/12/03 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                      I believe that all who are overweight have the same problem. It is genetic. No matter what diet you are on, if you do not maintain some program, you will gain the weight back.

I am not a promoter of the Dr. Atkin's diet. I am currently on my third day, but we that are overweight have to keep trying to live and survive.

When I left high school, I weighted 125, went into the military and came out at 150, by age 30 I was at 200, by age 55 I was 235. Something had to stop. I did the Phen/Fen and dropped to 180. Phen/Fen got in trouble and I have now escalated to 215. B/P is 180/100 and I ain't feeling well.

Even if Dr. Atkins diet does not permanently fix, it will give me a life window that I would not achieve without it.

You got to have a program to focus on your weight. I will weight each morning. For those of you who can ingest all the food you want, I envy you. You will probably live to be at least 100. For those of us who do not metabolise as well, we are not so fortunate. We are the ones who will die early because of being overweight, high BP, high cholestrol, hardening of the arteries and so on. I pray for you because loosing weight ain't so damn easy. I have no desire to be thin because of appearance at my age, I just want to live longer.

This Sundancer wants to do well with this diet and with your prayers, good wishes and suggestions, I will do well.

Today I had some pork rinds and cream cheese and a diet orange. Tonight I had a libation and some low moisture cheese.

I will keep reporting if you wish.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

goldsborscht

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/12/03 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                        Sundancer, along with the pork rinds, you can have beef jerky. Flavored seltzer water is also good because it makes you feel full, and makes you think you're having sugar. But please don't forget that little bit of lettuce or broccoli a day. It becomes painful. Please continue telling us what you're eating. I empathize with the need of variety.

Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Sat, 09/13/03 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                          I am on my fourth day of the Aitkin's diet. I have lost 4 pounds. I was a little discouraged until I did the Ketostix test and now I am turning the sticks purple.

I hve not cheated except I have a nightly cocktail of my favorite libation.

Today I had some pork skins with some whipped cream cheese with veggies. My guess is about 10 carbs.

What was really difficult was I went to my two grandchildren's birthday party with all the sweets. I stayed honest and hand a plain hot dog and hamburger with a little lettuce salad.

I came home and had another evening libation. If it was not for that, I do not think I could do it.

I started at 216 and now 213 this morning.

I almost lost it this afternoon when I received a call that a friend that I had worked with for 20 years had a heart attack and died last evening. It really depressed me and out of habit, I almost grabbed some sugar food. Did not.

If you wish, I will continue to apprise you of my progress.

Paul E. Smith
                                          knoxville, TN

goldsborscht

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Sun, 09/14/03 1:10 AM (permalink)
                                            What's amazing is that this diet works, especially for men. When people cheat they take in the carbs but continue eating all the fun stuff they had on Atkins-- pork rinds, meats, cheese, etc. That why weight is not only put back on, but added. Believe me, you absolutely can't cheat. Think about it. You're eating all this fatty food and then on top of that you're putting carbs and sugar. You'd blow up. Stay strong, Sundancer, even if it repulses those around you. The diet works.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                              RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Sun, 09/14/03 9:59 AM (permalink)

Originally posted by goldsborscht

What's amazing is that this diet works, especially for men./quote]

My sister and her husband are on the Atkins Diet. Neither one of them cheats. Her husband lost about 10 lbs. during the first two weeks, while she was lucky to lose about 4 lbs. Neither one of them exercises, either.

On a similar note, my husband and I started the South Beach Diet together in July. The first two weeks of that program are almost like the Atkins Diet. You're supposed to lose "8-13 lbs. during the first two weeks". My husband lost about 10 lbs. or so, while I lost...1 lb.! And, we both exercised. My husband's still on it; I gave up. Give me Weight Watchers any day. At least, I can eat and drink anything I want within a certain Point Range, and lose 2-3 lbs. per week.

How come these low-carb diets seem to melt the fat off the menfolk mighty quick, while we womenfolk have a harder time?

EliseT

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Sun, 09/14/03 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                                I think women tend to crave carbs and men seem content with lots of meat. Maybe it's hunter vs. gatherer genes, hormones, I don't know. But if you throw a steak at most men they're pretty content. So maybe men are sticking closer to the diet than women. Of course, heavier people drop the pounds faster, and most men are heavier than most women.

Sundancer7

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Tue, 09/16/03 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                                  The Sundancer is on day seven of the Atkins diet. I celebrated a five pound weight loss this morning by going to the waffle house at 5:00AM for a porterhouse and three fried eggs. (it was legal). I am on a seven day road trip and currently in Montgomery, AL. I am gonig to Baton Rouge and Lafayette, LA this afternoon where I will have shrimp and mud bugs sauteed in olive oil and garlic. I am going to make a side trip on Friday to Nack-o-tush LA for the meat pie festival which was mentioned by Rick F. I will do it without the pie crust. I will be in Memphis on Saturday and I can have all the BBQ I want without the sauce, beans and slaw. Somethign is better than nothing.

Hopefully I will have lost a total of 10 pounds by Sunday.

I will keep you posted if you wish.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

EdSails

• Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Tue, 09/16/03 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                    Congratulations, Sundancer. As you see, once you've figured out the ways you can do it, there are a lot of good things you can eat on the diet. You're making me hungry for those mudbugs! I just hit the 10-lb. mark------see you there!

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                                      RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Tue, 09/16/03 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by EdSails

Congratulations, Sundancer. As you see, once you've figured out the ways you can do it, there are a lot of good things you can eat on the diet. You're making me hungry for those mudbugs! I just hit the 10-lb. mark------see you there!

What's a mudbug?

EdSails

• Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                        RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Tue, 09/16/03 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by KimChee43

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by EdSails

What's a mudbug?

Slang for a crawfish.

goldsborscht

• Location: brooklyn, NY
                                                          RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Wed, 09/17/03 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                                          Sundancer, Watch out in Memphis. Stay away from sauce. 10 lbs. is on its way.

EliseT

RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions Fri, 09/19/03 2:35 AM (permalink)
                                                            New snack today: a slice of cooked bacon and avocado rolled up in a slice of turkey breast. Mmmm.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 87

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com