Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/19 08:31:48 (permalink)
Sundancer, and all others on the Atkins Diet,
Keep on going and losing those pounds! When I hit 40 I decided it was time to crack the whip and lose some weight. I cut out all carbs except certain rices, all fat, all meat (not a big meat fan anyway). My meals consisted of fish, vegetables, salads, legumes and fruit. I ate a lot of Wasa Crispbreads (high fiber, no fat). Being a chef it was hard to pass the fryers with fresh, hot crispy french fries, or the pulled pork in NC BBQ sauce without eating some. Along with the new eating regimen I power walked 2-5 miles every AM and excercised in the eve. (And no, I did not give up wine.) I lost 38 lbs. in 15 months. That was 7 years ago and the weight for the most part (give or take 5lbs.) has stayed off. NOT a Roadfoodie's paradise, that's for darn sure but it worked and now I eat pretty much what I want within moderation. So......I'm always skeptical of these fad diets. But, hey, if it works for you.........keep on goin!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/19 20:53:20 (permalink)
The Sundancer on the Atkins diet is back in action after a solid six day road trip for business. It ain't easy traveling and trying to diet. I have driven in excess of 2,000 miles from Knoxville, Montgomery, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Monroe, Memphis, Nashville d back to Knoxville.

One thing I can tell all is that I will never have any more pigskins, string cheese, steak,,etc.

I have no idea how much weight I have lost except I will weight on Sunday. I have just completed day 10 of induction. My guess somehwere around 10 pounds, Pants fit better and so does watch.

I had some neat food along the way. Dreamland had a place in Mobile that was huge and packed. They had a BBQ pit inside that was kept loaded. They indicated they did 100 pounds of ribs in 30 minutes. This was pit by the way and they gave me these ribs right off the pit. They were wonderful, tasty, tender and I had eight of these. They were legal on my diet.

I had plans of visiting the meat festival in Nack-uh-tish, LA on Friday evening, but business plans prevented it. I went by Rick F's beautiful church in the beautiful town. I went in the church and knocked on the rectors door. He was not in, but it was a beautiful place. Did not have any meat pies due to my diet.

Drove on to Memphis and had dinner at Interstate. Got there at 7:45PM. Great slaw and beans, but the ribs were too dry for me.

I can't wait to weight on Sunday morning as I have been very good except for evening libation. Hope that did not hurt.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/21 07:39:09 (permalink)
I hit the scales this morning and I have lost seven pounds in the lat ten days. I was a little dissapointed as I expected to lose more.

I had a physical last Monday and the MD advised me that he wanted me to get off the Atkin's diet and do the Mediterranean diet due to the increase of cholesterol and my blood anyalysis revealed.

Quite frankly I share the same thoughts. I cannot see how the intake of all the fat can be healthy, but I cannot stand the thought of the rotund appearance I was beginning to exhibit.

I am beginning to wonder what would happen if I just gave up sugar and bread?

I am gonna stay on this Adkins diet for another five weeks and then I am going to reduce intake of fat and revert to the Mediterranean heart healthy diet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/21 07:48:38 (permalink)
One other issue about the Atkins diet that bothers me is the cost of some of their food. Walmart and the local CVS sells Atkins stuff. The price is outrageous and to damn expensive.

In addition, it seems to have about the same amount of carbs that other stuff has.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/21 12:26:32 (permalink)
SUNDANCER: You might want to give the South Beach Diet a try. The first two weeks of it are similar to Adkins, only you don't force your body into ketosis. Meats and cheeses during that time are of the "healthy" variety. The first two weeks of South Beach are meant to curb your desire for carbs. My husband lost about 10 or more lbs. during the first phase. The recipes included in the book are tasty and easy.

The second phase consists of slowly reintroducing "good carbs" back into your diet--whole grains, fruits that are low on the glycemic index. The idea is to eat low on the glycemic index. My husband continues to lose about 2-3 lbs. per week on phase two. He's been on the South Beach Diet since mid-July and has dropped close to 30 lbs. His clothes are all too big for him now. He looks good and feels good. I tried South Beach--the fat didn't come off of me as quickly as I'd expected. I'm on WeightWatchers now. Good luck, Sundancer!
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/21 19:18:53 (permalink)
Just think no bread or sugar. That's good enough. I know, hard to do. Cholestorol levels are supposed to drop.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/21 19:35:11 (permalink)
My grocery bill tripled with all that Atkins' meat. What is the Mediterranean diet? I think bread and sugar are the main diet offenders...if you're trying to keep blood sugar down, add baking potatoes to the list (other potato varieties have a low glycemic index) and you'll probably do great.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 18:10:14 (permalink)
I am on day 12 of the Atkin's diet. I have lost a total of 8 pounds. It is really a boring diet and I am so tired of pork skins, cheese, steak, eggs and a handfull of salad.

MD has advised a Mediterranean diet but I am seriously looking at the South Beach Diet.

I am staying with the Atkin's thing until the end of October and will make a judgement then. If it was not for evening libation, I would have already quit.

I am down to 210 and a goal of 190.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 18:46:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am on day 12 of the Atkin's diet. I have lost a total of 8 pounds. It is really a boring diet and I am so tired of pork skins, cheese, steak, eggs and a handfull of salad.

MD has advised a Mediterranean diet but I am seriously looking at the South Beach Diet.

I am staying with the Atkin's thing until the end of October and will make a judgement then. If it was not for evening libation, I would have already quit.

I am down to 210 and a goal of 190.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

SUNDANCER: I hope that you will give the South Beach Diet a try. You should be able to skip Phase I (because you've been on Adkins a while) and start with Phase II. My suggestion is to get a copy of the book and become familiar with Phase II. The recipes are very good. No complaints there.

You'll be able to drink alcohol in Phase II as well. Red wine should be your first choice. Avoid beer at all costs, because it contains maltose (very high on the glycemic index). Get yourself a copy of the paperback called "Good Carbs, Bad Carbs", which explains the mechanics of the South Beach Diet more clearly. There's also a nice glycemic index for reference in the book.

I'm on WeightWatchers now. I can eat anything I want, but my choices are as low on the glycemic index as possible. Good luck, Sundancer!!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 18:51:05 (permalink)
KimChee, how did you do with the weight watcher?

I am gonna hang with the Atkin's crap for the duration of October.

I will change at that time.

South Beach will probably be the deal.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 19:06:02 (permalink)
quote:

KimChee, how did you do with the weight watcher?

I am gonna hang with the Atkin's crap for the duration of October.

I will change at that time.

South Beach will probably be the deal.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

SUNDANCER: I'd been on WeightWatchers before (after I'd had my son a number of years ago), and I liked their approach about being able to eat anything I wanted (every food has a Point Value), even drink wine, as long as I stayed within a certain Total Point Range every day. I lost about 4 lbs. my first week; an average of 2 lbs. a week thereafter. I tried to go for a 30 minute walk every day. It worked for me physically (I lost the weight) and psychologically (I wasn't denied certain food and beverage groups). I liked the idea of attending a meeting every week and being weighed at that time. It's a positive approach. The support of a group was helpful. There is a weekly fee; sometimes they charge a one-time registration fee in addition.

I like implementing ideas from South Beach's Phase II into my WeightWatcher plan. I have a lot of freedom; I also know that the more I try to incorporate the ideas from Phase II into my meal plans, the quicker the weight will come off. WeightWatchers might be another option for you, especially if you find the group approach and support helpful when trying to take the pounds off.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 21:29:24 (permalink)
I lost 44 pounds on Atkins, but have gained about 20 pounds back. I can vouch for Clothier's statement. I got my clothes refitted, and am now finding them uncomfortable again. Maybe my incentive to go on strict Atkins will return. I've been putting on weight because I've been eating meats and cheeses, but with some carbs. Not a good combination.

On the other hand, I always found some sort of Atkins options at most restaurants, and when I didn't, the places were good enough to justify a bit of cheating.

Good luck to those trying to lose weight ...
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/22 23:54:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

. . . there are no carbs in vodka, gin, scotch and other distilled and not sweetened liquors.
I hate to havc to tell you this, but any alcohol one drinks is converted into sugar just as fast as the liver (?) can do it. Of course, that doesn't include wood or denatured alcohol: the body doesn't have time to convert them before it protests them by various and often fatal means.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/23 19:19:39 (permalink)
Today is the end of the inducation period with the Aitkin's diet. I have lost 8 pounds which I cannot gripe about exceipt the diet is so boring.

I am changing from Dr. Aitkens to a low fat diet. I found that I missed salads more than I did meat.

Hopefully the change will not result in any weight gain.

I am now at 208 and have lost 9 pounds. I want to go to 190. I think I will enjoy reaching that goal via salads vs. Atkins

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/24 06:01:28 (permalink)
I agree. I just went and loaded up my shopping cart with chicken, fruit, whole grains, beans and veggies. I also had the most delicious Tangelo of my life. Maybe that is the hidden lesson of that diet, to make us really enjoy salads and fruit.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/26 12:53:28 (permalink)
Today is the 16th day of the Dr. Atkins thing. I am down 12 pounds. I am now 205. I am 6'1 and I think my goal will be about 190.

I did not think the diet would be so boring but it is. Really miss all the salads. I am out of the induction period. I really considered doing something else more like the South Beach diet which is similiar but allows more berries and fruits.

I am gonna stay with it until 10/24/03 which is when we race in Las Vegas with NHRA. I am meeting my brother there and I want to out do him for a change. I am 61 and he is 55. He stays in great shape and works out constantly.

I still cheat nightly after 5:00PM. Bushie called me last night to check on the efforts and he did not know it but I toasted our conversation

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 08:53:23 (permalink)
I have now been on the Atkin's diet for 58 days and I have lost 22 pounds. I can't say I feel any better and I have been afraid to have my cholestrol checked. It is better to get into some of the pants that I have not been able to wear for a few years. Thank goodness I stored them correctly.

Originally I was going to go off the diet at the end of October but I sort of modified the diet where I am doing a salad for lunch and protein for dinner. I still have evening libations.

In addition I have found that a buffet offers more for the Atkins diet and that it takes far less to satisfy hunger than 8 weeks ago.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 09:32:37 (permalink)
Way to go, Sundancer!! I admire your tenacity. I also hope your brother was duely impressed!
aimala66
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 10:30:35 (permalink)
i have a suggestion....don't do atkins! i admire people for trying to get healthy, but this diet is not safe or healthy. the key to permanent weight loss is a lifestyle change that YOU CAN LIVE WITH.....not striking certain foods from your diet altogether. when you do that, you'll eventually go back to eating "bad" foods and blow the diet...and sometimes you ending up overdo-ing the bad food b/c you deprived yourself for so long. nothing like a food binge to pack some weight on....

unless a doctor specifically perscribed the atkins diet, i'd really aviod this type of weight loss. i know lots of people who quickly dumped 20 lbs. for a wedding or what have you and packed it right back on b/c it's such an unnatural and unhealthy way to eat (AND LIVE!).

really, moderation and exercise are the only real ways to loose the lbs and get in shape. skinny, sedentary people can have high chlorestol and die of heart attacks, too.

amy
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 11:00:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by aimala66

i have a suggestion....don't do atkins! i admire people for trying to get healthy, but this diet is not safe or healthy. the key to permanent weight loss is a lifestyle change that YOU CAN LIVE WITH.....not striking certain foods from your diet altogether. when you do that, you'll eventually go back to eating "bad" foods and blow the diet...and sometimes you ending up overdo-ing the bad food b/c you deprived yourself for so long. nothing like a food binge to pack some weight on....

unless a doctor specifically perscribed the atkins diet, i'd really aviod this type of weight loss. i know lots of people who quickly dumped 20 lbs. for a wedding or what have you and packed it right back on b/c it's such an unnatural and unhealthy way to eat (AND LIVE!).

really, moderation and exercise are the only real ways to loose the lbs and get in shape. skinny, sedentary people can have high chlorestol and die of heart attacks, too.

amy

I believe Atkins gets a bad rap because, if you read his book carefully, he never asks you to live without a lot of the carbs forever: he asks you to live without them for two weeks, and then to slowly integrate them back into your diet at a level where you can still lose or maintain your weight. Easier said than done, obviously.

I've lost 10 pounds on South Beach, but more importantly have fundamentally changed how I eat. This means that if I slip or indulge, I didn't "blow the diet": I simply go back to how I want to eat. Puts a lot less pressure on me.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 12:01:00 (permalink)
I do not believe Amy has it right. Obviously she has not read the entire book. The first two weeks is where you do not do any carbs. After that, you slowly add them back to your diet. When you get to maintenance it is actually pretty easy.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 12:17:34 (permalink)
Congrats Sundancer! Way to go!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 18:28:10 (permalink)
You know, a diet is nothing more than a desire to change. Atkins's is nothing more than a process or a plan. I am glad I have made a choice to change. I did not like where I was at and Atkins gave me that choice. I am not where I want to be but I am getting there. It may not be the best but it is a start. When I get where I want to be, I will start the maintenance.

I ain't there yet but perhaps I soon will be. It is difficult when you are overweight and want to be slim. This program has helped me. In my opinion Atkins ain't the best progrman, but it got me started and I will take it from here.

You got it from Paul E. Smith who started from 217 and is now 195 on the terrible Atkins diet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 20:29:15 (permalink)
quote:

You know, a diet is nothing more than a desire to change. Atkins's is nothing more than a process or a plan. I am glad I have made a choice to change. I did not like where I was at and Atkins gave me that choice. I am not where I want to be but I am getting there. It may not be the best but it is a start. When I get where I want to be, I will start the maintenance.

I ain't there yet but perhaps I soon will be. It is difficult when you are overweight and want to be slim. This program has helped me. In my opinion Atkins ain't the best progrman, but it got me started and I will take it from here.

You got it from Paul E. Smith who started from 217 and is now 195 on the terrible Atkins diet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

And, on a modified version, I lost 10, and lowered my cholesterol significantly -- without Lipitor or any other drug. I worked with my doctor to put together a vitamin regimen.

I know lots of people who simply don't like Atkins. But it definitely works for lots of people who embrace it and don't abuse it (i.e., assuming the first two weeks is the way you ALWAYS eat, and constantly going heavy on the sauces and fried stuff.)
LizzieR
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 20:31:25 (permalink)
I can totally relate to you, Sundancer. I have been on a modified Atkins for three weeks and lost 9 pounds, which is good for me. It is the Curves diet, similar to South Beach. I find if I eat the Atkins bread, it satisfies me and only has 6 carbs. I have tried every diet in the known world and Atkins or similar ones work for me. Dieting is never easy but I never get hungry on this diet and am allowed all the protein I want, salad and a good selection of vegetables. Now I am on phase 2 which introduces back additional carbs. Please root for me as I have been rooting for you!! Good luck to all of us.
aimala66
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/07 22:35:56 (permalink)
yeah, i've never read the atkins book at all....i struggle with my weight, too...i've been up and down for years but it's because i use food to comfort myself, reward myself, etc.

bad day = make it better by eating something good
good day = keep it good by eating a good meal
so so day = eat something exciting to break the monotony

as you see, i like to eat. why else woould i be on a message board called roadfood on a friday night?

however, i know how to loose weight. for me, it's my unwillingness to discipline myself about something so enjoyable. sometimes looking forward to a good meal gets me through my day....and i'm sure i'm not alone when i say this.
TANFANRN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/11/08 03:51:45 (permalink)
I HAVE BEEN ON THE ATKINS DIET FOR MOST OF THE LAST TWO YEARS AND HAVE DONE MUCH READING OF MEDICAL JOURNALS RELATING TO THIS SPECIFIC DIET. IT'S A SHAME THAT 2 WEEKS AFTER DR ATKINS DIED THIS PAST YEAR, THE AMA FINALLY AGREED WITH THE GOOD DR THAT HIS DIET IS HEALTHIER THAN THE LOW FAT DIETS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS. (DR ATKINS DIET HAS BEEN AROUND EVEN LONGER.) MY MOTHER WENT ON ATKINS WITH HER CARDIOLOGIST'S BLESSING AND HER CHOLESTEROL WENT FROM 260 TO 140 IN 2 MONTHS. SUNDANCER, YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR BLOODWORK DONE AGAIN AND YOU MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SUPRISED. MY HUSBAND AND I EAT VERY WELL ON THIS DIET. LOTS OF FRESH VEGGIES AND MEAT. NO PROCESSED FOODS. ATKINS BREAD MAY BE EXPENSIVE, BUT IT TASTES PRETTY GOOD AND HAS ONLY 3GMS OF CARBS. I'VE GOTTEN PRETTY GOOD AT READING LABELS. YOU CAN SUBTRACT FIBER FROM TOTAL CARBS TO GET NET CARB INTAKE. MY HUSBAND AND I LOST 30 LBS WITHIN 12 WEEKS. NOW WE JUST FOLLOW THE DIET FOR THE MOST PART AND HAVE "BREAKS" WHEN WE GO ON VACATION OR SPECIAL OCCASIONS. WHEN WE OVER INDULGE IN CARBS, WE GO BACK TO HAVING INDIGESTION AND BLOATING. SUNDANCER, HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT YOU NO LONGER FEEL BLOATED. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS PURSUITS. JUST WANTED TO SHED A LITTLE LIGHT ON SOME OF THE "MYTHS" OF THIS DIET.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1