Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4129
2003/07/15 16:19:55 (permalink)

Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions

Well, due to circumstances NOT beyond my control-----I have decided to do the Atkins Induction Diet for the next few weeks. So far I've found some good things to eat on it------sashimi, carnitas, fried chicken made with chiccarones etc.------and a few restaurants such as a Brazilian Barbecue where I can get nothing but grilled meats and veggies. I'm running out of ideas however and need some ideas to augment the grilled foods I'm going to be living on for the next 3 weeks. Any suggestions? Anything is good as long as it's not made with sugar or starchy vegetables or pasta.

86 Replies Related Threads

VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 16:25:31 (permalink)
    I have a suggestion: a quick trip to New Orleans; NO is the home of the three doctors and one executive who wrote SugarBusters, which is Atkins-esque (but only limits a few veggies). The restaurants there are universally equipped to deal with low-carb diet requests.

When I'm trying to lose the extra 33% of me that has been accumulating since college, I go wild for seafood; literally dozens of oysters on the half-shell, buckets of steamer clams/mussels, smoked salmon (carefully selected to avoid sugary cures), and when I could still eat them (darned food allergy), crustaceans of any sort, with remoulade or a house-made cocktail sauce that wasn't loaded with sugar.

Eric, Encouragingly.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 16:32:01 (permalink)
    You could go to a Greek or Middle eastern restaurant for chicken, bef or lamb kabobs (hold the rice or pilaf) and a greek salad.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 16:57:48 (permalink)
    Brazilian Churrascarias rule!!!! Love that meat!!

Anyways, me too, buddy. The doctor told me to watch the carbs, arghhh. I can't handle CONSTANT meat, so I have a few ideas. You can make a quiche without the crust, souffles, soups, salads, Texas chili, stir-fry, a "lasagne" using steamed zucchini and eggplant instead of noodles, and moussakka. Let me know if you want recipes.

For dining out, Chinese and Mongolian BBQ without the rice or noodles. Kenny Rogers and Koo Koo Roo places...just get salad and green beans as sides. Don't go near Italian restaurants...very hard to avoid the pasta! Mexican restaurants are tough too. If you are near In-N-Out burgers, order them "protein style" to get the burger wrapped in lettuce. Southern BBQ, of course, is one great thing about this diet! Get greens and/or okra as a side.

Snacks: Deviled eggs, ham rolled around asparagus, artichokes, zucchini spears, English cucumber, celery etc. dipped in Ranch, Buffallo wings, Cocktail weenies, string cheese, all cheeses.

Just remember...eat lots of salad, vegetables, and other roughage! When you do have carbs, have bran and fruit! Really. Roughage. Trust me. Roughage.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 17:58:30 (permalink)
    I've been doing Atkins since Memorial Day, and have lost 34lbs so far. Elise is right make sure you eat your three cups of lettuce (or two cups of lettuce and one cup of another vegetable) each day. I work in NYC and have been frequenting Greek restaurants, burger places like Prime Burger and Burger Heaven, various midtown Jewish delis, mongolian BBQs, and more than a few good steak places.

I also go to the Oyster Bar, sit at the counter and have oyster stew - there's no starch, just cream, tomato puree, oysters.

Landjaegers and macadamia nuts for snacks during the day.

I have not taken alcohol completely out. Michelob Ultra and Miller Light are both extremely low carb, and there are no carbs in vodka, gin, scotch and other distilled and not sweetened liquors.

The diet is pretty easy overall, although it took an inordinate amount of willpower to order asparagus instead of homefries and Smith and Wollensky.

At home I grill a lot, and have lots of salad with homemade blue cheese dressing.

FYI -- shellfish are all fine as long as you skip the cocktail sauce. Just use tabasco, lemon, horseradish, mignonette instead. And you can always dip your steamed seafood in butter!

VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 18:08:01 (permalink)
    Mmmn, mignonette.

Something that Atkins didn't get quite right in the books and SugarBusters screwed up in the first book is the action of ethanol on blood sugar; it lowers it. Drink up, but no malted beverages (maltodextrin is a carb almost perfectly engineered to put Soft Brown Fat on the guts of humans). Off-dry wines are okay, as the sugar is fructose, and therefore less likely to increase blood sugar.

Eric, Dreaming Of A Shellfish Platter
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 18:28:55 (permalink)
    Great suggestions everyone........I'm gonna go home tonight......have some steamed shrimp in butter, oysters on the half shell (anybody got a good mignonette recipe?) with lettuce and......a glass of Bombay Sapphire.
    Seriously.....I think I'm gonna like the diet---------my shortcomings so far are eating enough veggies and drinking enough water. This is my second try at this so I'm trying to make it more successful than the first. The lasagne and moussaka recipes and chili too sound great-----bring 'em on!
    Mexican is actually very doable, Elise-------I get carnitas and chicken and just leave the tortillas (ok, so it's not THAT easy). I also order posole (ignoring the hominy) or fish soup and those work too. Last night was homemade grilled carne asada. And don't worry, Eric-----I'll eat your portion of shellfish no problem!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 21:14:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

...the action of ethanol on blood sugar; it lowers it.

Really, Eric?????? That's the best news I've heard in a long time. I assumed all alcohol raised blood sugar.

You also said that off-dry wines are OK. Are drys like Cabs OK?

Man, it's great having a chemist on this board!!!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 21:48:23 (permalink)
    Don't forget to chop up your celery leaves and sprinkle them over your lettuce. They will give them a whole different flavor. And grilled shrimp or scallop kabobs, brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with Old Bay Seasoning.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 21:50:16 (permalink)
    What about champagne???? Can I drink champagne????
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 21:50:39 (permalink)
    Note: I'm not a chemist, just a passionate amateur.

There's a widely-held assumption that alcohol increases blood sugar, but the simple reality is that Type I (juvenile-onset) diabetics who drink risk *low* blood sugar, not hyperglycemia. There's a paper at http://www.ijp-online.com/archives/1977/009/02/r0167-0169ra.pdf that talks about how alcohol affects blood glucose levels in both fed and starved animals. It's a pretty decent introduction to the science.

The big culprit in alcohol isn't the ethanol; it's the stuff that comes with it. Malt beverages come with the aforementioned unfermentable carbs like maltodextrin, which is widely postulated to be responsible for "beer gut". While I'm not a doctor, I'd be happy to state that moderate alcohol consumption is not going to waylay anyone's low-carb diet plans, and I'd challenge anyone with peer-reviewed evidence to the contrary to come forward.

(yes, drink lots of wine; just watch out for actively sweet late-harvest wines - they're loaded with sugar)

Eric, Starved Animal
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/15 22:47:52 (permalink)
    As always, thanks Eric. Great info.

(P.S. I didn't really think you were a chemist. I was just being silly. However, I REALLY DO appreciate your knowledge and the information you share.)
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 02:53:09 (permalink)
    Check out Vinelady's potato lasagne under the lasagne thread, and just replace the potatoes with thinly sliced, partially cooked (cool, then squeeze out water) zucchini.

"Texas red chili"

3 pounds boneless beef chuck, diced

1 Tbsp. bacon fat

5 dried Ancho chile peppers

Cold water and/or beef stock

1 Tbsp ground cumin

2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. cayenne

3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1 Tbsp. masa harina (omit if you want NO CARB AT ALL)

Fry beef in bacon fat in a large pot.

Wash peppers. Stem and seed. Soak in cold water 20 minutes. Peel the skin off and puree in food processor or blender with some of the soaking liquid. Stir into the beef.

Add water or beef stock to make it "chili" consistency. Add spices and garlic. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for a few hours, stirring often. Mix in masa harina and cook 30 more minutes. Add more masa to thicken, hot water to thin.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 07:01:13 (permalink)
    I always did well with wings-as long as they're not breaded. They are low in carbs and the spiciness seems to help with the dreaded C word (constipation).
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 09:57:02 (permalink)
    Wings, blue cheese and celery are all OK---when I was doing Atkins it was hard not to consider that "cheating". The eggs every morning could be a bit much---one morning with no eggs left, I ate a can of tuna (ick!).

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 10:11:57 (permalink)
    OK, I'll buy the book and check this one out. I have heard of successes in the moderate range if you stick to it, but you guys have shared some thoughts about "how it works" that I really appreciate.
    MORE-- Are onions acceptable??or on the Thou Shalt Not list.
    AL
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 10:18:25 (permalink)
    A colleague weighed in at 350+, did the Dr. Atkins thing and promply lost 40 pounds and then developed gout due to the diet and had to stop. He gained the weioght back in about six months. He has now on another diet and has lost 100 pounds.

Heck, losing weight is easy as I do it all the time. Sort of a repetative thing. Unfortunately, like my colleague, I gain it back.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 13:09:33 (permalink)
    One thing I have had success with----believe it or not----is fried chicken and fried pork chops. Everyone who has ever eaten mine this way loves it. I simply substitute fried pork rinds (chiccarones) run thru the blender to a medium grind for the bread crumbs/flour. It gives the chicken a marvelous flavor. I've served it to kids who had no idea what the breading was and they at it all up. The chicken especially cooks up very moist. Just use your regular recipe and substitute. It's hard to believe I can have fried chicken on this diet! Now if I could only find a substitute for mashed potatoes and gravy.......
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 14:41:28 (permalink)
    Pork rinds can also be used like a chip to eat with sour cream based dips.

I would draw the line at making pork rind nachos though.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 14:51:10 (permalink)
    Mayor - consider SugarBusters, as the food is fantastic, and you're allowed essentially unlimited vegetables, other than corn, beets, carrots and white potatoes. It's the Foodie's Diet, for sure. The revised edition of the book is pretty good.

Eric, Carnivorously
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 14:55:23 (permalink)
    Mayor-----onions are acceptable as long as they do not exceed one cup and other veggies (salad types) do not exceed two cups per day.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 16:42:12 (permalink)
    Well, it depends on which diet you are on. I am just on a general low-carb, low glycemic-index plan for diabetics. I must limit my carbs, and when I have them, just eat low glycemic index ones* Otherwise, I can have unlimited protein and onions, salad, non-carb veggies etc. Though carrots and corn are verboten on Atkins and "Carb Addicts" they are actually low glycemic index veggies. And really, we didn't get fat eating corn. I think most vegetables are better for you than they are problematic.

* Glycemic index measures food's tendency to raise blood sugar levels. Although some foods like corn, fruit and beans are verboten on many low-carb plans, they are very low glycemic index foods.

The only things that I have to seriously avoid are: Baking potatoes (red, white rose, and new potatoes are lower on the glycemic index), white flour, sugars, and short-grained white rice. It's very easy to follow. I've noticed just taking away white bread makes a huge difference for me.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/07/16 17:44:38 (permalink)
    The one recipe I find myself returning to again and again on Atkins is creamed spinach. Easy to make (butter, spinach, cream, spices) and goes well with most meats. I've been known to eat this for breakfast topped with a french omelette. Low carb, high roughage content, great taste. What's not to like?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/10 14:36:14 (permalink)
    Today is day one on the Atkins diet for the Sundancer. I did the Phen/Fen thing a few years ago and lost 45 lbs. Had to quit when they took it off the market. I have gained back 30 of those pounds. I am now at 215.

I have been reading the last few days about the diet. It sounds easy, but all diets are restrictive and for some reason, when you cannot have something, it becomes important.

I went to Walmart today for lunch and brought a rotisserie chicken back to the office and stunk it up. Tasted pretty good though.

I was glad to hear that my adult beverage had zero carbs. For the next several weeks I can have 20 a day. Maybe I will stick to my adult beverage and lose weight twice as fast.

I wonder if all that fat makes your cholestrol increase?

I hope my BP drops like it did with Phen/Fen.

I will keep you apprised if you want.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/10 15:51:35 (permalink)
    Sundancer, a good cigar once or twice a day will compliment that adult beverage diet very nicely!

As to your questions; I have heard and read many stories of people whose BP and LDL cholesterol DECREASED dramatically on the Atkins diet.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/10 20:32:12 (permalink)
    Welcome to the club, Paul. I've restarted Atkins as of Sept. 3 and have already lost 7 lbs. (and had that great smoked salmon I wrote about to boot!). I've gotten used to the things we're not allowed and find most of them are not missed. There are other things also that help-----I made meatloaf yesterday but used no crumbs in it and topped it with Atkins Steak Sauce instead of tomato sauce. It turned out very good. Some of the other Atkins products are good too, of special note is the cornbread, blueberry muffins and pancake mix. If you check the carb counts you'll find vodka and gin are AOK with the diet (a little Bombay Sapphire in the eve definitely helps me to stay on track on this diet. You'll find that a lot of the cholesterol in this diet is actually from fish and olive oil so it should not adversely affect it. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/10 21:29:22 (permalink)
    Arghh, I can't do this! I was on Atkins for a month and didn't lose a single pound. I went for the low-carb low-glycemic index thing for a month and gained 2 pounds. I want to lose 40 pounds by my wedding next year so I don't look like a giant cream puff. Let me just say I just ate Ruffles dipped in onion-chive cream-cheese for dinner. How do you keep this diet up in weak moments? Mmm, cream puffs...
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/10 21:36:40 (permalink)
    Been on Atkins for a year and a half (with a month layoff). Favorite NYC Atkins friendly food is Pio Pio Peruvian rotisserie in Queens. For sugar free ices, Uncle Louie G's in Brooklyn. I live in a Polish area, So I have some great smoked kielbasa. Keilbasa with eggs, kielbasa with broccoli, kielbasa al fresco. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sick of kielbasa. Any NYC suggestions? Chinese is a joke, always asking for no sugar or corn starch. So is Mexican-- the carnitas plate without rice, beans, or tortillas. Someone give me some tips. Real Atkins. No cheating.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/11 07:10:23 (permalink)
    It is day two of my Dr. Atkins diet. I stepped on the scales this morning after the shower and I had gained one pound. I guess I should not have ate the whole rotisserie chicken yesterday. I also guess that I thought volume did not count. I had hot sardines with some cheddar last evening with my libation. Maybe you are not suppose to weigh daily?

I was suppose to drink 8 glasses of water and I only made it to six. I was hoping the ice I had with my libation counted for something.

I am gonna do this thing until the last of October and then decide on continuing.

It is strange how you miss what you can't have, even if you did not want it before

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Atkins Diet food and restaurant suggestions 2003/09/11 07:31:10 (permalink)
    Paul, I've been on Atkins a couple times. I lost 25 lbs. each time. I lasted for about 8 weeks tops. The cravings for bread and pasta did me in. I am about to go on Atkins again-this time with more willpower. While on Atkins, I learned to eat a cheesesteak with a fork so as not to eat the bread. Lobster with butter, steak, eggs-they're all very filling and you'll be amazed that you can lose while eating those things. Hang in there...be diligent. The weight will come off and you'll feel better.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1