Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/01/29 20:38:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ladytenor

The thing that ticks me off about the low carb/Atkins craze is that all the companies are rushing to jump on this bandwagon and are discontinuing some of their regular products to make room for their Low Carb products. I drink a Slim Fast shake once a day (usually lunch) and it has gotten very hard to find the Regular Ready to Drink shakes because they put out the Optima (50% less sugar) and Carb Options shakes and very few stores have the regular ones anymore. Anytime you limit my options to cater to a diet craze I don't like it. I can't see how a diet that severely restricts any one food group is healthy in the long run.

I get a kick out of this:
http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html

The Atkins Diet in its strictest (original) forms is NOT "healthy in the long run". Among other things, by severely restricting carbohydrate intake, it forces your body to burn fat for energy resulting in ketosis which makes you feel lousy. I have read Dr. Atkins original books and there's nothing in them that suggests to me he intended people to use the weight-loss form of his diet "in the long run". Perpetual carbohydrate restriction, at a less rigorous level, is a newer phenomenon hyped by others.

That said, if your concern is simply about a lack of carbohydrate (I HATE that lazy term "carb") in your once-a-day Slim Fast, you needn't worry. It is almost certain that you get more than enough (indeed, too much) carbohydrate in your other meals if you are eating anything like typical American food and an increased protein/polyunsaturated fat intake via your Slim Fast is most likely good for you. Whether or not you consume the Atkins friendly versions should depend on whether or not the taste is acceptable I would think.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/02/02 22:57:12 (permalink)
I agree with sundancer and Mrs. pappy. Food is like religion. . . your preference might not be my preference.
Atkin's works. I've lost 16lbs since the holidays by simply making serious cuts in carb intake. Every couple weeks I take a day off. Today I had three loaded hotdogs for lunch, a veggie rice dish with chicken and gravy for dinner and then went down to Baskin Robins for a triple scoop (Jamoca, Cherries Jubilee and Choc. fudge) . . . tomorrow it's back on the diet until the 11th when were going to cook up ~10 doz clams in every way possible and then go on an overnight food road trip to Cincy the next day.
Food is good. . . if you don't let it kill you.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/02/02 23:18:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

I agree with sundancer and Mrs. pappy. Food is like religion. . . your preference might not be my preference.
Atkin's works. I've lost 16lbs since the holidays by simply making serious cuts in carb intake. Every couple weeks I take a day off. Today I had three loaded hotdogs for lunch, a veggie rice dish with chicken and gravy for dinner and then went down to Baskin Robins for a triple scoop (Jamoca, Cherries Jubilee and Choc. fudge) . . . tomorrow it's back on the diet until the 11th when were going to cook up ~10 doz clams in every way possible and then go on an overnight food road trip to Cincy the next day.
Food is good. . . if you don't let it kill you.

I absolutely know it works. I've lost 70 lbs on Atkins--several times. But I did feel lousy (due to ketosis) while doing it and I knew all along I couldn't eat that way forever--which is why it was "several times". The fact is, I LOVE CARBOHYDRATE. I'd be perfectly happy eating pasta with vegetarian sauces forever--pure carbohydrate. Pasta with putanesca sauce (tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, red pepper flakes and anchovies) is one of my favorite foods.

I don't think it'll kill me. I've decided the best kind of diet for me--one I can stick with--is something like a "Mediterranean diet": carbohydrate, yes, but also lots of olive oil, almonds, veggies, seafood, omega 3 oils (from fish and from nuts) and fiber. As you say, "your preference might not be my preference".
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1