Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2004/02/03 11:23:00 (permalink)

Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!!

I mean, really!!!!!!! Some things are SACRED!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/03/lowcarb.pizza.ap/index.html

32 Replies Related Threads

Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/03 11:31:40 (permalink)
    Tampering with the genetic code is nowhere near as infamous as tampering with good pizza.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/03 11:31:54 (permalink)
    " />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18954
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/03 11:35:43 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity I tried a Donato's Atkins-friendly pie yesterday. It was OK, I suppose. Of course, I detest Donato's pies anyway. They cut the things into little rectangles.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/03 12:01:07 (permalink)
    hey the article is from boston, not exactly known as a pizza mecca! And I'm live in boston, before anyone jumps on me...

Anyway, some people have to eat low carb pizza by default. I am thinking of the thousands of people on gluten free diets due to celiac disease. I have experimented with tons of GF pizza doughs before finding one that is comparable to regular dough and it just happens to have be lower in carbs and higher in protein than most regular pizza dough.

Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 11:37:02 (permalink)
    I Agree Meowzart Everywhere i look its "atkins approved!" i hope the fad doesnt last too long. its all the ladies at work talk about...meanwhile they eat 10 doughnuts while they dont think im looking!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 11:49:50 (permalink)
    I am also dismayed by this Atkins craze. But the ads coming out of Subway ("Chubway" to my friends) are pretty hilarious. Like the husband that's on an Atkins diet with his wife. He sees his wife ordering something at Subway and assumes that she's cheating on him, so he runs home and starts snarfing dry macaroni noodles from his kid's art project.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 12:14:36 (permalink)
    I agree, this Atkin's thing is way out of control. God forbid if people should get off of their butts and exercise a little. Anyone else notice the skyrocketing price of beef since this craze started. I can barely afford cube steaks anymore!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 14:15:58 (permalink)
    Lowcarb crust i can almost understand but some madman in Southern Calif. has just gone completely nuts!!!! Are you ready for this----Pizza in a BUCKET!!!!! no crust--toss sauce in the bucket--add toppings and cheese! This is REDICULOUS!!!!!!If you dont want carbs---DONT EAT PIZZA!!!!!
    Grampy
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 14:29:57 (permalink)
    Is pizza soda next? Lo-cal, of course.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 20:34:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Is pizza soda next? Lo-cal, of course.

Here's what's next

carbs if you eat two servings
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 22:30:59 (permalink)
    It is a proven fact that if you remain on the atkins diet to long it will make you sick!
    Grampy
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/04 22:42:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EatBeef

It is a proven fact that if you remain on the atkins diet to long it will make you sick!

And reading the all-too-many cookbooks will make you even sicker. This is about anti-food. It is a defilement to all that is good. Any regimen that calls for the denial of crusty bread, al dente pasta, and and crisp pizza is a death knell to good food as we know it. We might as well crawl back under the rocks and feast on moss.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 09:35:43 (permalink)
    My doctor told me that i couldnt do Atkins because the Ketosis thats involved wouldnt work correctly and be harmful to me because i have three kidneys! No Lie! im a mutant.
    capnhank
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 16:21:51 (permalink)
    Three kidneys? Does that mean you can eat more toxins and drink more booze?
    I remember asking my doctor the same question when he told me that my liver looked awfully big...

Grampy,
    I'm with you on the "anti-food" thing, and I'm a flippin' vegetarian! Eating a ton of meat is bad enough, but to eliminate the pasta and bread... well, I might as well hang myself. It would be like telling me, "Eat all the dogsh*t you want, but don't wash it down with novocaine!", or something like that (Insert inedible item of choice in slot A and necessary accompaniment in slot B).
    Grampy
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 16:25:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by capnhank

Three kidneys? Does that mean you can eat more toxins and drink more booze?
    I remember asking my doctor the same question when he told me that my liver looked awfully big...

Grampy,
    I'm with you on the "anti-food" thing, and I'm a flippin' vegetarian! Eating a ton of meat is bad enough, but to eliminate the pasta and bread... well, I might as well hang myself. It would be like telling me, "Eat all the dogsh*t you want, but don't wash it down with novocaine!", or something like that (Insert inedible item of choice in slot A and necessary accompaniment in slot B).

Well said!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 18:58:52 (permalink)
    The Sundancer does have a question: Why does anyone really care why any menu caters to a specific need? There seems to be some that question why anyone would want a low carb pizza. Why would you care? Does it affect your diet?

Some seem shocked that some restaurants would do that. Why not?

I am doing the Atkins thing and I have shrunk from 218 to 185 and my cholestrol has shrunk from 280 to 180.

I read one post where one individual indicated stated "It is a proven fact that the Atkins diet is unhealthy" I think I can provide conclusive posting that is incorrect.

Why would anyone care that a restaurant have a menu for specific needs?

I am sorry but I really had a hard time trying to understand why anyone would care why a restaurant would try to please a certain part of the consuming market?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 19:44:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

My doctor told me that i couldnt do Atkins because the Ketosis thats involved wouldnt work correctly and be harmful to me because i have three kidneys! No Lie! im a mutant.

You know, I always thought you had a little more than other roadfooders. Now I know what it is!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/05 22:38:52 (permalink)
    Sundancer. i understand what your saying---but PIZZA IN A BUCKET!!!????NO crust-just sauce and toppings!!?? Why bother to call it pizza!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/06 07:17:09 (permalink)
    I really do not care what they call it. Maybe it can be call nonpizza but I hope they sell it in Knoxville soon. I am getting tired of shoveling the goodies off the crust just to enjoy what I can have.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/06 07:45:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I really do not care what they call it. Maybe it can be call nonpizza but I hope they sell it in Knoxville soon. I am getting tired of shoveling the goodies off the crust just to enjoy what I can have.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

LOL---i understand that!!! You know, i was just days away from either Atkins of the South Beach Diet when Dr Dean Adell told America some interesting test results that have made me more confused than ever. Think i may as well just start walking 2 miles a days and eat on two meals a day of anything i want but with caloric intake restricted!!!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3323
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/06 13:04:34 (permalink)
    Thirty years ago, on the Atkins diet, I ate all the pizzia I wanted. I took a fork and ate everything off the crust. I've eaten plenty of paper thin crust pizzas. Super super thin crust should be legal. All of my friends who've experienced the Atkins diet in the last 3 years have either gained their weight back or been hospitalized.
    Helen Maxwell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/06 13:27:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The Sundancer does have a question: Why does anyone really care why any menu caters to a specific need? There seems to be some that question why anyone would want a low carb pizza. Why would you care? Does it affect your diet?

[humbly] I agree with you. It's not as though all pizza restaurants are going to switch to serving only low-carb pizza dough, or pizza-toppings-inna-bucket. It's just that the Atkins diet, and the South Beach diet, and all of the other low-carb permutations are very popular right now, and the restaurant industry is trying to cater a little bit to that market.

Right now I'm in the strict phase one of South Beach, and I attended a gathering last weekend where there was pizza served. I tell you this: I was dying for a bite, and even the toppings-inna-bucket would have looked good!

[retreats back into her cave]

--Helen
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/02/06 13:52:21 (permalink)
    Cutting out the foundation of the food pyramid (remember health class) just because you want to lose weight never sounded like a good idea to me. (If you are doing it for other health reasons with a doctors supervision, that's a different story)

Weight loss/gain is a simple equation

calories in > calories out = weight gain
    Calories in < calories out = weight loss

To lose weight decrease the calories in and increase the calories out

i.e. portion control and exercise

simple

IMHO Happiness is just as important for good health as diet. So eat drink and be happy. Then take a nice long walk.
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/03/31 19:31:23 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I am a low carber and my doctor couldn't be happier....My blood analysis is in the normal zone for the first time in 40 years.....I have removed 40 lbs. of fat from my body too. Oh and before you get all ticked off with Pappy...this is Mrs. Pappy....
    I love a good pizza and will eat pizza on occasion....as well as lots of other gastronomic delights. I am on a quest to lose another 25 pounds and then level off and find my comfort zone. I cannot afford to get my weight back up too high again as I am working on 3 cylinders in my heart....so got to be careful...
    That does not mean I am an avid Atkins fan but I have cut back on carbs quite a lot. The problem I have is that I used to eat not because I was hungry but because I simply love the wonderful flavor of truly delicious food...and a nibble just does not satify my taste buds...
    As for that low carb ice cream type desserts....I actually like some of them...including the one above...
    Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in here....

Hugs,
    Mrs. Pappy
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/04/03 09:21:03 (permalink)
    I am on my own variation of the Atkins, but never gave up pizza. I eat thin crust pizza at least twice a week. What I don't do is eat lazagana the next night or sandwhiches for lunch, or cheese bread with every meal anymore...darn. I've gone from a 42" waist to a 36 or 38, I swear I can loose or gain 10 pounds in a few days. It's nice not having the 40 pound gut hanging over my belt. People do get carried away with it, worrying about a little bit of bbq sauce or ketchup etc. It works just fine in moderation if you can do it.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2004/04/12 01:59:36 (permalink)
    Did anyone try the Papa Murphys low carb pizza or "Carb DiLight"? I liked it and I am not on a low carb diet. My family is though and this way we can eat the same thing and be happy.
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/01/29 17:30:00 (permalink)
    The thing that ticks me off about the low carb/Atkins craze is that all the companies are rushing to jump on this bandwagon and are discontinuing some of their regular products to make room for their Low Carb products. I drink a Slim Fast shake once a day (usually lunch) and it has gotten very hard to find the Regular Ready to Drink shakes because they put out the Optima (50% less sugar) and Carb Options shakes and very few stores have the regular ones anymore. Anytime you limit my options to cater to a diet craze I don't like it. I can't see how a diet that severely restricts any one food group is healthy in the long run.

I get a kick out of this:
    http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/01/29 18:53:40 (permalink)
    Anyone remember the "cup 'o pizza" senario in the Steve Martin movie (The Jerk)
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Atkin's Diet taken too far!!!! 2005/01/29 19:45:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ladytenor

The thing that ticks me off about the low carb/Atkins craze is that all the companies are rushing to jump on this bandwagon and are discontinuing some of their regular products to make room for their Low Carb products. I drink a Slim Fast shake once a day (usually lunch) and it has gotten very hard to find the Regular Ready to Drink shakes because they put out the Optima (50% less sugar) and Carb Options shakes and very few stores have the regular ones anymore. Anytime you limit my options to cater to a diet craze I don't like it. I can't see how a diet that severely restricts any one food group is healthy in the long run.

I get a kick out of this:
    http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html

Thanks ladytenor, I am currently not eating as much (carbs) as I used to, but I still found it very funny, and it is good advice ....
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1