The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Atkins --> healthy?

hollyshat

• Total Posts: 8
Atkins --> healthy? Tue, 03/23/04 8:52 PM (permalink)
The food pyrimid that every child is taught to follow clearly shows that the "carbohydrates" (breads, pastas, ect.) are the most important. In fact, it is recommended that people have at least 6 to 11 servings a day. Yet, America is trying to cut carbs out of their diets, is this healthy? Carbs are needed for energy and metabolism, so what is too little?

hollyshat

• Total Posts: 8
    RE: Atkins --> healthy? Tue, 03/23/04 8:54 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hollyshat

The food pyrimid that every child is taught to follow clearly shows that the "carbohydrates" (breads, pastas, ect.) are the most important. In fact, it is recommended that people have at least 6 to 11 servings a day. Yet, America is trying to cut carbs out of their diets, is this healthy? Carbs are needed for energy and metabolism, so what is too little?

Sorry for putting this in the totally wrong section, this whole thing is new to me, but I love the idea of sharing thoughts and questions with others.

marberthenad

• Total Posts: 509
      RE: Atkins --> healthy? Tue, 03/23/04 9:32 PM (permalink)
      quote:

quote:

Sorry for putting this in the totally wrong section, this whole thing is new to me, but I love the idea of sharing thoughts and questions with others.

Not the wrong spot at all if you consider that Atkins is about going from see food to seafood

but seriously, i was on atkins lost 44 lbs, and have put back about 20, but taking in a reasonable amount of carbs. I don't think it makes sense to stay off carbs forever, but I did discover I was eating far too many carbs ....

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
        RE: Atkins --> healthy? Wed, 03/24/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
        I would not say that carbs are bad, but we definitely eat too many of them in the US and we eat all the wrong kinds.

White flour and white rice just are not nutritionally solid. Nothing really is when you strip it of all its natural fiber and goodness. Bread made out of white flour and water does nothing for you except raise your sugar levels which in turn cause you to feel hungrier faster, blah blah blah.

the body has to work harder at breaking down fiber, thereby leaving you fuller for longer periods of time. If you eat carbs, sticking to whole grains, fruit (not juice!), and vegetables will give you the energy.

RamblinRacefan

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: Atkins --> healthy? Sun, 03/28/04 2:34 PM (permalink)
          Do I think the Atkins diet is unhealthy--no, however, it may not be right for everyone. I have seen the Atkins diet work miracles for people who otherwise would have given up on the thought of losing weight, but I hope that everyone who considers this or any other diet will follow the same instructions that both nutritionists and personal trainers give them: PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE USE. I develop recurrent cases of kidney stones and have had 5 operations since 2001. I was considering starting the Atkins diet, but, being the curious person that I am, actually found out that by adopting this low carb/high protein regimen over a long period of time can actually be more harmful to by kidneys than helpful. An increase in protein in the body (urine) will rquire the kidneys and liver to work harder to flush out the excess protein. Also an increase in protein can cause the formation of some kidney stones.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            RE: Atkins --> healthy? Tue, 03/30/04 6:45 AM (permalink)
            Well, i for one am glad that i tuned into the Prairie Home Companion this weekend--i had no idea that Atkins was a known AlQuida agent!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com