Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE!

Author
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
2005/02/14 10:39:30 (permalink)

Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE!

Consumer Alert! Popping up all over the place (in Southeast) is an "upscale" chain of sandwich, soup, salad, bakery stores called Atlanta Bread Company.

We have one about a block from where I work that does huge business in downtown location (Columbia SC) - why that is, I have no idea. Got dragged there with group of friends last week and will NEVER set foot again. Here is what I got for my $7.60 "Half and Half" combo (pick two from bowl of soup, small salad, or half sandwich)....

Bowl of inedible clam chowder (it was SOUR)
Ham and cheese (cheese 40 cents extra) sandwich - ONE slice of grocery store boiled ham, slice of roma tomato and lettuce (not fresh) on very tough piece of rye.
Unlimited iced tea (best part of meal)

Mainly because of soup, I returned meal to counter - they would NOT refund (store policy?), but offered replacement. I did not care for one at this point, being fairly nauseous from fetid chowder. "Too bad" I was pretty much told.

Avoid this place like the plague. Bad food, WAYYYY overpriced, marketed as a touch of the Buckhead good life in your small Southern city. Can't imagine Buckhead people tolerating this stuff unless it's much better there.

NOTE: In case you don't know Buckhead reference - it is the "Beverly Hills" of Atlanta. (or so the residents act and believe...)

19 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 11:08:47 (permalink)
    NEWS FLASH -- Another chain is not good.

And, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 11:13:51 (permalink)
    He lives. I saw him in line outside a Ponderosa.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 11:47:11 (permalink)
    Why doesn't Roadfood set up a sister site for people who want to talk about chains. I'll add my voice to the chorus who believe that there are far too many threads about chains in this forum.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 12:02:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brent Kulman

Why doesn't Roadfood set up a sister site for people who want to talk about chains. I'll add my voice to the chorus who believe that there are far too many threads about chains in this forum.

And following that, we can set up an additional site for people to talk about people talking about chains.
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 12:47:58 (permalink)
    OK, we'll turn it over to some locally-owned sandwich spots in Columbia. Bill, next time try the Garden Bistro right across the street from ABC. They are not cheap but the food is much better.

Or, walk north to the old Kress Building and try Rising High. Good food and fun locale. My favorite of the three.

By the way, have you been to DiPrato's over on Pickens Street yet? Yum!
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 13:06:41 (permalink)
    Good one, saps.

huntryce - Got any good local sandwich joints in Charlotte? I'd love a non-chain recommendation.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 13:09:08 (permalink)
    Commenting on this chain may not be apropos, but, ABC has been in ATL for about 10 years now and I've never had a bad experience. I go there often because the alternative is fast food and I'd rather not do that, so I must assume the franchise in Columbia is not supervised well. Their breads are some of the best in my area, and the soups I have tried have always been OK. The only negative thing coming out of the ATL area about ABC has been their owner - a South African who was indicted in his homeland. His brother is now running the company in ATL. BTW, they have always come out rather high in the cleanliness and quality rankings published by the local surveys.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 13:19:31 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, the 2 ABC's in this area (far far west of Chicago) only stayed open less than a year. They were way too expensive for what you got.
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 13:21:30 (permalink)
    Brent, wish I could help you but I don't spend any time in Charlotte. Columbia's my stomping grounds.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 17:58:00 (permalink)
    I rate the one in Nashville somewhat lower than Panera.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 18:19:00 (permalink)
    Hey, I like the chain forums. What better way to feel good about one's Roadfood dining choices than to slam corporate, homogenized, soylent food factories? One can commiserate with other strikingly intelligent people as to why so many other people can happily eat at McDonald's, Applebee's, and Old Country Buffet and judge a meal by its quantity and not its quality.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/02/14 19:25:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Hey, I like the chain forums. What better way to feel good about one's Roadfood dining choices than to slam corporate, homogenized, soylent food factories? One can commiserate with other strikingly intelligent people as to why so many other people can happily eat at McDonald's, Applebee's, and Old Country Buffet and judge a meal by its quantity and not its quality.

Quality & to a lesser extent quantity dictate my out-of-home dining. That's probably why I usually eat-in.
    sandwackers
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/06/04 02:05:58 (permalink)
    Is Busy B's Bakery a chain? I have seen only one here in DFW and it is really good. I would be so dissappointed if it turned out to be a chain...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/06/04 03:18:24 (permalink)
    I suspect that in major cities outside the South (and some in the South, say New Orleans) the question will be, "When did Atlanta become a baking Mecca and why should I want to eat bread from there?"
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2005/06/04 03:26:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

In case you don't know Buckhead reference - it is the "Beverly Hills" of Atlanta. (or so the residents act and believe...)

Beverly Hills is greatly over-rated. Just saw a list of the wealthiest communities in the US (based on median home prices). Beverly Hills wasn't anywhere near the top even in CA. Don't remember seeing Buckhead on the list either although I don't think it's a seperate town so that might explain it. #1, for those who care, is Atherton, a suburb of San Francisco. Several other local (Bay Area) towns were also near the top nationally (Hillsborough, Ross, Belvedere, Los Altos and Los Altos Hills and a couple more I don't recall).
    Space
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2007/03/07 00:25:51 (permalink)
    There's an ABC a few minutes from my office, and I think the place is just OK and certainly not worth what one would pay for lunch. If anything, I like their coffee and some of their pastries, but that's about it. Like CarolinaBill, I had a similar experince with that "half and half" combo...some roasted red pepper soup that was bland at best and a half turkey sandwich that had some cheapo deli meat with about a pound and a half of lettuce.

Heck...if I want a good sandwich, I'll go to a Publix deli, get a footlong sub, and pay about a dollar less than the least expensive sandwich at ABC.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2007/03/07 12:51:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brentk

Good one, saps.

huntryce - Got any good local sandwich joints in Charlotte? I'd love a non-chain recommendation.

Leo's on Elizabeth just down from Presbie Hospital towards CPCC.
    Ask for the hot mustard.

Burgers at Lupies on Monroe Rd

Burgers at Hotel Charlotte. They will cook them as you request...almost raw is an option.

Not great but very very good...Arthur's Burger at Arthurs @ Southpark.

The Subway on South Blvd just past Archdale Drive is really very good. Just watch your six, it has become a questionable part of town.

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2007/03/07 13:26:24 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    It's funny, or maybe not, but when I read the title
    of this thread, I thought, Another health food violation.
    I was waiting to read about e-coli, or rats running through
    the building, or whatever horror story that awaits us.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    WingLover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Atlanta Bread Company - BEWARE! 2007/03/09 11:49:45 (permalink)
    There is an Atlanta Bread Company right across the street from me in the mall. I eat there once every two-three weeks or so and have never had a bad experience with their food. Their food is always fresh, especially their salads, and I have never had an experience that you described.

I typically order a half and half combo - a turkey and swiss cheese sandwich on thick honey wheat bread (the bread is soft and delicious every single time!) with red onion, lettuce, and mustard. Sometimes I will get a house sald with fat free raspberry vinegarette dressing or I will get their baked potato soup.

Eating a meal at ABC is no different than eating a meal at any other FF resturant as far as price is concerned. A Half & Half sandwich/salad combo comes to around $6 and is much healthier for you than a Value Meal at, say, McDonald's, and it leaves me feeling full and satisfied.

Their coffee drinks are quite good, too, better and cheaper than the big chains a la Starbucks.

~Jessica
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1