Atlanta eating near airport

Author
dogmeat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
2009/12/02 18:28:40 (permalink)

Atlanta eating near airport

Gator headed to SEC Championship this weekend and looking for a memorable casual meal where the locals eat-suggestions?

Thanks.

20 Replies Related Threads

EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 19:11:21 (permalink)
    ...I'm extremely jealous so I won't give you any advice
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 19:17:03 (permalink)
    Okay...only kidding...this isn't necessarily by the airport (about 20 minutes or so) but this is one of my all-time favorite restaurants in the US so I have to mention it:

Mary Mac's Tea Room
    Address: 224 Ponce de Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
    Phone: (404)876-1800

http://www.roadfood.com/F...spx?high=&m=550172
    http://www.roadfood.com/R...580/mary-macs-tea-room
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 20:00:53 (permalink)
    Wow!! Great recommendation, Thanks.  I like the all time favorites list, it looks like a Southern reunion.

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 20:16:40 (permalink)
    I could could tell you more but I really want you to go there. If you do be sure to let us know what you think of it. It's worth the cab fare...and if you don't think so I'll reimburse
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 20:47:49 (permalink)
    The greens and cornbread sold me. We are headed there Friday night
    based on your recommendation and their menu.

A friend of ours is a bartender at McKendrick's Steakhouse and we are headed there Saturday night after  Florida beats Alabama. Yahhhhhhh

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 20:49:32 (permalink)
    Although some have dissed Harold's BBQ, I have not had a bad experience there.
    DoctorDan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 20:52:48 (permalink)
    Sorry Dogmeat, but I'm not sure if there are any memorable local eating places near the airport, but if you don't mind a little travel time, the best meat & three in the Atlanta area is
    Matthews Cafeteria in downtown Tucker. The long lines at lunch every day attest to that fact. Fish on Friday is really, really good!!!

Doctor Dan
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 21:26:31 (permalink)
    dogmeat

The greens and cornbread sold me. We are headed there Friday night
    based on your recommendation and their menu.

A friend of ours is a bartender at McKendrick's Steakhouse and we are headed there Saturday night after  Florida beats Alabama. Yahhhhhhh

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh man....their cornbread and greens are great....and you've got to have the yeast rolls and the cinnamon rolls (all three come in the bread basket)....and the fried chicken....and the mac & cheese....and the banana pudding....and the peach cobbler...and the pecan pie.....and the.....
    mdreaden
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 22:58:51 (permalink)
    Actually, there's a very good place to eat near the airport-- just a few minutes away by car or taxi.  Barbecue Kitchen in College Park has excellent barbecue, meat and 3's, the best biscuits in town, and free re-fills on vegetables.  It's located at 1437 Virginia Avenue. 
    post edited by mdreaden - 2009/12/02 23:02:19
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/02 23:36:21 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for the input!  Time to start packing.

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/03 08:27:08 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

Although some have dissed Harold's BBQ, I have not had a bad experience there.

Harold's BBQ is the only roadfood approved restaurant that left me completely nauseous.

Although it's been a decade and half, I totally recommend Mary Mac's although I honestly can't say that it's a true "locals" experience as it's located in a very touristy area, and many tourists do go, but the food was still  excellent, don't forget to try the pot likker.
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 417
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/03 09:10:11 (permalink)
    Since you're a gator, I really should give you some BAD places to eat!  ROLL TIDE!  Plus I am jealous that I have to watch our win on television.  That being said, a Vortex burger is pretty good.  http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/
    Midtown might be closest for you.
    Lizzieslulu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/03 09:22:06 (permalink)
    I will second Mary Mac's and The Vortex. They are both good places to receive comfort after Bama whips the Gators. Roll Tide!!!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/03 10:21:08 (permalink)
    You know what, the Dwarf House is about two or three exits down from the airport, and it's the 'original' Chick-Fil-A, and the only one in existence where you can also buy hamburgers.  I liked going here because I grew up in a state that had CFA and you can see the origins of the original CFA decor at the Dwarf House.   I haven't been in about ten years--anybody know if it's still open?
    oDey in LA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/08 20:12:08 (permalink)
    [quote)

Actually, there's a very good place to eat near the airport-- just a few minutes away by car or taxi.  Barbecue Kitchen in College Park has excellent barbecue, meat and 3's, the best biscuits in town, and free re-fills on vegetables.  It's located at 1437 Virginia Avenue. 

I used to eat there for many years before I retired as airline pilot. It it met the cheap airline pilot criteria...Delicious , plentiful, competent wait staff and the most important of all...CHEAP!

Two eggs over easy with ham and red eye gravy, grits and biscuits....Man it does not get much better especially for a Delta Pilot.....

Thirty three years at the airline and ate at BBK all of those years....

Haven't been back since I retired 10 years ago. It burned a couple of years after I retired but I heard they repaired the damage and just kept on dishing it out...

I MUST get up there next time I drive through ATL area....

It is located directly across Virginia Avenue from the Holiday Inn-ATL Airport.

Dang it. Now I am so hungry for some ham with red eye gravy I'd almost drive the 340 miles for breakfast....(It's worth another "layover" at the Holiday Inn)  

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2009/12/08 20:27:19 (permalink)
    dogmeat, where'd you end up eating and how'd you like it? How was the game?
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2010/01/08 19:59:03 (permalink)
    I enjoyed some Fried Chicken and a few yeast rolls at Mary Mac's recently on a trip from Chicago to Key West. What a place.... , some of the best chicken I ever ate. Thank you fellow Roadfooder for the tips!
    zippypinhead
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2010/01/10 17:04:52 (permalink)
    First time poster, long time lurker...
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned my favorite in the area:
    www.spondivits.net
    They're up on Virginia Ave just north of the airport. For the last thirty years I always try and stop for a bowl of gumbo before I turn in the rental car.
    The place used to be just about overrun with Delta pilots and flight attendents. Then they started with all the stupid human tricks at security and the crews have less time...
    oDey in LA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2010/01/20 14:52:24 (permalink)
    zippypinhead

First time poster, long time lurker...
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned my favorite in the area:
    www.spondivits.net
    They're up on Virginia Ave just north of the airport. For the last thirty years I always try and stop for a bowl of gumbo before I turn in the rental car.
    The place used to be just about overrun with Delta pilots and flight attendents. Then they started with all the stupid human tricks at security and the crews have less time...

When I was younger and still flying...........
    Many airline types started hanging out at Spondivits as soon as it opened.(mostly while undergoing annual training. Most crews on layovers, if they were smart, steered clear or at least remained low  profile. No crewmember wanted to be greeting their passengers next morning and have one of the pax say, " Hey, didn't I see you at the bar last night?")

Bad ju ju. Unwinding little after all day long in a classroom or simulator is one thing, but to be doing so during a rest layover can bite you on the seat.(if a pilot ever tells you that he flies better hungover than sober.....don't believe it <g>.

Lots of tales about hard drinking aviators, but it was my experience that the vast majority were very responsible. A lot more so than say other professions that deal in the life or death bidness....

The old 24 feet between bottle and throttle was mostly old fighter pilot talk. (I was not at Tailhook '91 in Vega., You didn't see me, that's my story and I am sticking to it!)

Of course there can be exceptions but as I said, the vast majority are extremely cautious about this. Way too much riding on it.   

The old saying goes, " I wish I made as much money as my in laws  think I make, Had as much time off as my neighbor thinks I have and had as many sweet young things chasing me as my wife suspects ".

Mostly myth I must say, found mostly in novels and movies and not reality. (but then again <g>)
    Lizzieslulu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Atlanta eating near airport 2010/01/22 17:15:18 (permalink)
    I heard a bad news report about Spondivit's a couple of years or so ago. A woman died after eating oysters there but the report did go on to say that she had immune problems before. I don't know why an immune compromised person would eat raw oysters anyway.
    I love Spondivits.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1