The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors?

neilcody

• Total Posts: 51
Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Thu, 01/13/11 8:13 AM (permalink)
An interesting article for Atlanta area folks.
http://blogs.ajc.com/food...hot-dogs/?cxntlid=sldr
Can anyone shed some light on why it seems that the State of Georgia has no or very few mobile food vendors specifically hot dog carts????
p.s. ...I found my answer....seems as though there were threads to this topic a couple of years ago...my bad.
<message edited by neilcody on Thu, 01/13/11 8:28 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
    Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Fri, 01/14/11 3:40 PM (permalink)
    The Holeman & Finch hot dog looks interesting...and $10 a pop.

http://www.foodiebuddha.com/2009/10/13/the-holeman-finch-hot-dog-one-great-meat-stick-quick-hits/

JodyP

• Total Posts: 322
      Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Fri, 01/28/11 11:03 AM (permalink)
      Georgia hates mobile food vendors. The laws that are in place require a considerable investment in a base of operation to work out of. There is no way you can generate enough money off a hot dog cart to also pay the rent and utilities for a commercial location. The laws in place make it illegal to share a commissary space. Atlanta has group working to change these laws.  However, it seems that every time they jump a hurdle there is another in their way. There is a local Atlanta councilwoman who sponsors a monthly gathering of the Atlanta food trucks and street vendors.  To fully understand the costs involved for a base of operation consider this. Even if your hot dog cart has a three compartment sink, the sink is only big enough to wash your serving utensils, required by law at least every 4 hours. You still are required to have a sink three compartment sink large enough to wash your steamer pans; if said sink is hooked up to municipal sewers then you are required to also have a grease trap.  Your hot water heater has to be a commercial model or you may need a chemical wash system. If you plan on chopping up onions and slicing tomatoes you need a separate sink for the vegetable. Then you need some kind of NSF certified refrigerator to store your hotdogs and perishables off hours.  Add improvements, rent deposits, utility deposits, business license, etc. and your will have at least $15,000 invested in your base of operation. (This figure is based on used equipment and some of the improvements by you,)

Bottom line is there is no way you are going to purchase a $2500 hot dog cart and be legally in business in Georgia. On the bright side is if you are looking to do a multi unit operation then it would be feasible.

Sorry for the rant, but we are trying hard to be a legal part of our community.

olddude2

• Total Posts: 716
        Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Sat, 01/29/11 11:33 PM (permalink)
        sad but true, check on the boiled peanut laws and turn your cart into a boiled peanut cart.

JodyP

Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Sun, 01/30/11 11:33 AM (permalink)
          Olddude is right, almost any type of agriculture product can be sold roadside without a permit.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
            Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Sun, 02/6/11 3:40 AM (permalink)
            things are looking up in Atlanta. First Mobile Food Truck
            http://yumbii.com/

JodyP

Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Tue, 02/8/11 5:40 PM (permalink)

Yumbi along with a couple of others have been working hard to get food trucks rolling in Atlanta. Yumbi is probably the only real catering / food truck on the streets. They have had quite a time of making it work. Atlanta HD gave them permission to operate in two public locations (Georgia Law) and at first Atlanta Police said OK, but local ordinance only allows for them to park in a public place for no more than 15 minutes. No way can you make any money with a 15 minute selling window. I believe they have since gone back to parking on private property and have had some issues between local counties honoring each others HD approval.

callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
                Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Sun, 04/10/11 6:05 PM (permalink)
                Bringing this back up. JodyP - have you checked out Yumbi? Are they good? Any growth in the foodtruck business in Atlanta? And has this helped you in your enterprise? Are the rules opening up a little bit, or staying about the same?

Also - I know the problem is big in Atlanta, but while out touring UGA with my son, I noticed a vendor with a cart on the sidewalk. I don't know if he was selling cooked food, or just pre-packaged stuff. Anyway, question is - is the problem with vendors, carts and trucks state-wide, or it is more of an Atlanta thing?

I think I saw you are up in Cumming. Are things better for you in Cumming, or still a hassle?

JodyP

Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Sun, 04/10/11 10:40 PM (permalink)
                  The Yumbii truck is doing well. It was parked outside a street food summit I attended this weekend in Atlanta. There is a strong movement by local city officials to promote street food in Atlanta. Unfortunately there are still many obstacles to overcome. The City of Atlanta HD is allowing you to partner up with a restaurant to use as a base of operation. The biggest downside to street vending in Atlanta is the fact that the city has a contract with Growth Partners Properties to oversee all the street vending in Atlanta. What this means is that you can not be issued a permit to operate on any city public properties (excluding special events) or right of ways. You are allowed to operate up to two different locations on private property provided you keep set hours at these locations. (Georgia law requires that HD’s perform two unannounced inspections per year.)  Bottom line it is looking a little better in Atlanta thanks to Councilman Kwanza Hall, County Commissioner Joan Garner and the Atlanta Street Food Coalition. This weekend’s summit allowed existing food vendors and new prospects an opportunity to meet the officials and ask questions.

Athens Georgia is a different situation. Athens / Clark County allows a certain number of street vendors both food and merchandise to operate on public right of ways. There is talk that they might issue a few more locations. Most of these locations are only used during football weekends.

Most of the cities in Georgia use the State of Georgia HD rules and regulations. I mentioned above that Georgia hates street vending. This is not entirely true; however the laws do make it almost impossible for an individual with a cart or trailer to operate because of the additional cost of a Base of Operation. I have started to see some other counties adapt different requirements for the base of operation.  Cherokee County allows you to have a Base of Operation in a residence, City of Atlanta allowing you to partner up with an established restaurant and Athens allowing street vending on public right of ways. Even the county I live in (Forsyth) has a couple of trailers set up.

We are still mostly doing festivals, come out to the Woodstock Market and show the first weekend of the month and see us.

neilcody

• Total Posts: 51
                    Re:Atlantas "favorite" hotdog- Why are there no MOBILE food vendors? Wed, 05/16/12 10:30 AM (permalink)
                    Good info for prospective GA mobile food vendors. thanks

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com