Au Bon Rat?

Author
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
2007/02/28 07:35:53 (permalink)

Au Bon Rat?

Well, now it's Au Bon Pain's turn to be exposed for unsanitary conditions in one of their NYC locations. This morning, on WNBC's early morning news coverage, they were showing footage of a couple of rats scampering aroung on the floor of an Au Bon Pain "on 3rd Avenue" in Manhattan. The news people also noted that this location has had excellent health inspection reports, even very recently.

All of this attention to rats in NYC restaurants really makes me wonder about those restaurants that don't have large front windows open to viewing. The fast food type places don't normally have any coverings on their windows the way that toney places frequently do. If we were able to peer into some of the upscale establishments, would we see similar scenes of rodent escapades?

5 Replies Related Threads

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Au Bon Rat? 2007/02/28 10:17:51 (permalink)
    They are not exclusive to NYC. I'll never forget about 11 years ago, it was the Bruins last playoff game in the Boston Garden against the Devils, I went to a McDonald's next to the elevated subway outside the building after the game, and saw rats scurrying underneath the carts that hold the buns. I turned tail and got the hell out of there. Mind you, this is not normal behavior for me, going to McDonald's, I was half in the bag when I was there. Still, it left enough of an impression on me that to this day, I've never stepped foot in another McDonald's restaurant.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Au Bon Rat? 2007/02/28 10:40:00 (permalink)
    I wrote it before, but will repeat it since this topic has come up again. I have worked in several restaurants and in many buildings in NY and other cities and the bottom line is...Food = Rats. Even if there is no food, there are rats. I worked in a very fancy building and any time of the day of night you could go into the basement and bang the side of the trash dumpster and see enough rats to film a remake of Ben.

The real surprise in all this is that it is a surprise to anyone!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6895
    RE: Au Bon Rat? 2007/02/28 11:51:49 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure that Food=Rats. I saw my share of them in the Boston area (never in one of my restaurants) that were bigger than my cat. Seven years of cheffing in Alaska, never saw a rat or a roach. Same here in SoCal.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Au Bon Rat? 2007/02/28 12:29:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

I'm not so sure that Food=Rats. I saw my share of them in the Boston area (never in one of my restaurants) that were bigger than my cat. Seven years of cheffing in Alaska, never saw a rat or a roach. Same here in SoCal.

I am sure you are right...I shouldn't have written my comment in such absolute terms. There must be exceptions, but I would not feel I am out on a limb saying "most" times Food=Rats. I can say in my experiences, I have always seen rats or their calling card in every place I have worked. This included some highly regarded places in NY and Washington. Sad but true.

Boston rats are particularly disturbing, as they seem very bold. I have seen them mid-day in the middle of the sidewalk chewing on some dropped food and they don't even move as you approach. I think I heard one of them tell me to beat it once! In NY we have pigeons (flying rats?) that fill that role.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Au Bon Rat? 2007/02/28 12:53:46 (permalink)
    Let's put a bounty on rats, 10 cents each. Post a rat bounty hunter in food places after hours with a pellet rifle. Make sweeps of basements and subway tunnels.

Ever since I saw Ben as a kid I've hated rats. Suffer them not to live is my motto.

MikeS.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1