Hot!Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10072
Re:Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2014/05/20 08:12:17 (permalink)
chickenplucker-
That's too bad they didn't have the fried chicken on the day of your visit to Honey From a Rock, but that catfish looks like a nice consolation prize.  Are those nuts in the sweet potato casserole? 
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2014/05/20 13:42:08 (permalink)
Original cube building, too!  Check that out.  And li'l ole me needing to stop in Augusta on my way back from eastern NC later this year.  Unfortunately, I will not be in Augusta until after sunset on that trip.

If you check out this very good video from the "Discover South Carolina" tourist campaign, centered on barbecue, you can see an original Maryland Fried Chicken building providing a home for the quite excellent True BBQ in West Columbia:

http://bbq.discoversouthc...e-to-roadside-barbecue

Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2014/05/20 15:40:59 (permalink)

Chickenplucker, what are the items in the front of the line in this photo? If desserts, what kind?

If I get the chance, I  will have to try Honey From the Rock. I have passed thru the area many times, but always late on Friday or Sunday night. Food options were slim.

I will always remember one radio station by its catchy call sign: WBBQ in Augusta.

I have never had a cabbage and collards dish before. I wonder if this something new or perhaps a black thing?
post edited by Southern Fried - 2014/05/20 16:16:56
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
Re:Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2014/05/20 21:40:41 (permalink)
Buffetbuster, those were pecans in the sweet potato casserole. Very good too.
Heartbreaksoup, thanks for the cool video. There are several Maryland Frieds in south Georgia including Blackshear,Waycross,Albany,Dublin,Swainsboro,Thomasville,and Cairo.
Southern Fried, At the front of the line was a good looking selection of pies and cakes but I failed to ask if they were homemade. My eyes were drawn on that trip to the pan of banana pudding behind them. That collard and cabbage dish was a mystery to me also especially since there were collards on the line as well. That was a first for me.
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
Re:Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2014/05/23 16:06:12 (permalink)
If you arent full after leaving Hildebrandt's just walk around the corner to Sports Center. Its a pool hall/bar/ hangout that cooks a mean hamburger and onion rings. That meat is patted daily and the rings are cut fresh and coated. The fries are cut fresh also. This is a smoking establishment so be prepared. The smell of the flat top grilling burgers and onions overpowers it for the most part. There is a really good Italian restaurant next door called Luigis that has been there for decades. They are the favorite of a lot of the golfers during The Masters. Legend has it that back in the early days Jackie Gleason would be in town for the tournament, eat dinner at Luigis and then hit the Sports Center afterwards hustling on the pool tables.

Payment terms on the mirror.

post edited by chickenplucker - 2014/05/23 16:34:58
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1