Austin gets a Waffle House!

Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
2004/09/26 19:10:01 (permalink)

Austin gets a Waffle House!

YIPPEE!! Happy days are here again! (sung to the tune of Happy Days Are Here Again)

I was driving in South Austin this morning, near the airport, and I saw it: a brand-spanking new Waffle House!

Life is good in Central Texas.

Now wanderingjew and I will have a place to meet when he visits.
#1

12 Replies Related Threads

    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 19:21:09 (permalink)
    In addition Mr. Bushie, you are getting a couple of Krystals. They announced it a few weeks ago. I do not know if you like the puppies but the Sundancer has enjoyed them many nights after a few too many.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #2
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 21:12:57 (permalink)
    Congratulations on your Waffle House. But, my question has to do with the location of the airport. The last time I looked it was in North Austin, on the road in from Bergstrom AFB. Highway 71? As a matter of fact, when I lived on Norwood Road, my backyard abutted the airport.
    #3
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
    • Location: chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 21:14:37 (permalink)
    According to "Dateline" on TV tonight, Waffle House is the filthiest restaurant in America. I still like those darn places anyway! Pretty sick expose' IMO.[|)]
    #4
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 21:28:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    According to "Dateline" on TV tonight, Waffle House is the filthiest restaurant in America. I still like those darn places anyway! Pretty sick expose' IMO.[|)]

    While I did not see that story, I usually sit at the counter, and it looks pretty clean to me. I've also been in the back at my closest one, and it was pretty clean, too, he said, speaking as a former health inspector in Orange, Texas.
    #5
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 22:00:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Congratulations on your Waffle House. But, my question has to do with the location of the airport. The last time I looked it was in North Austin, on the road in from Bergstrom AFB. Highway 71? As a matter of fact, when I lived on Norwood Road, my backyard abutted the airport.

    Mr. Hoffman, the City of Austin closed the airport you are referring to (Mueller) quite a number of years ago. (I flew into the old airport the last night of its operation, and I flew out of the new one on the second day of its opening.)

    Our "new" airport was built on the site of the old Bergstrom AFB. It's actually one of the few things that the Austin city council has done right. It's a really good airport.

    The new Waffle House is on Hwy 71 near the intersection of Riverside. I doubt that intersection even existed when you lived here.

    #6
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 22:03:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    According to "Dateline" on TV tonight, Waffle House is the filthiest restaurant in America. I still like those darn places anyway! Pretty sick expose' IMO.[|)]

    Dateline has about as much credibility as CBS Evening News.
    #7
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/26 22:20:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

    In addition Mr. Bushie, you are getting a couple of Krystals. They announced it a few weeks ago. I do not know if you like the puppies but the Sundancer has enjoyed them many nights after a few too many.

    YES, Mr. Bushie likes the puppies. I also love the sliders, and the good news is that the new Krystal will be less than 10 miles from my house.
    #8
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    • Joined: 2004/03/23 10:48:00
    • Location: Gastonia, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/27 11:24:08 (permalink)
    I agree 100%. If I am watching something on TV and CBS Evening News comes on, I change the channel immediately.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    According to "Dateline" on TV tonight, Waffle House is the filthiest restaurant in America. I still like those darn places anyway! Pretty sick expose' IMO.[|)]

    Dateline has about as much credibility as CBS Evening News.
    #9
    Goose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    • Joined: 2004/09/17 15:38:00
    • Location: Southfield, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/27 11:39:16 (permalink)
    I can never remember this, so mabe this time I'll write it down:

    how do you order hash browns with everything?
    scattered, melted, tossed and lost?

    is it something like that?
    #10
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    • Joined: 2004/06/29 08:29:00
    • Location: Ruston, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/27 12:24:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Goose

    I can never remember this, so mabe this time I'll write it down:

    how do you order hash browns with everything?
    scattered, melted, tossed and lost?

    is it something like that?


    i know scattered, covered, smothered, chunked, topped, and diced.
    #11
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/27 12:29:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Congratulations on your Waffle House. But, my question has to do with the location of the airport. The last time I looked it was in North Austin, on the road in from Bergstrom AFB. Highway 71? As a matter of fact, when I lived on Norwood Road, my backyard abutted the airport.

    Mr. Hoffman, the City of Austin closed the airport you are referring to (Mueller) quite a number of years ago. (I flew into the old airport the last night of its operation, and I flew out of the new one on the second day of its opening.)

    Our "new" airport was built on the site of the old Bergstrom AFB. It's actually one of the few things that the Austin city council has done right. It's a really good airport.

    The new Waffle House is on Hwy 71 near the intersection of Riverside. I doubt that intersection even existed when you lived here.



    Wow, I used to go to that old airport's cafe often for coffee and a sandwich. By the way, I was stationed at Bergstrom. That's how I ended up at UT and living in Austin.
    #12
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Austin gets a Waffle House! 2004/09/28 09:18:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Wow, I used to go to that old airport's cafe often for coffee and a sandwich. By the way, I was stationed at Bergstrom. That's how I ended up at UT and living in Austin.

    Was that big circular "command center" building there when you were stationed at Bergstrom? One of the really cool things they did was to keep that building. Hilton turned it into a hotel.

    http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=AUSAHHF

    #13
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1