Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse)

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2005/05/15 16:51:31 (permalink)

Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse)

One thing I forgot to mention on my Washington travel post. While driving to Philadelphia from Springfield, Va, we stopped in Newark. Delaware for lunch at a place called Waltzing Matilda's, an Australian restaurant. We had Kobe, Kangaroo and Emu burgers, all of which tasted quite good. The reviews of the place indicated it did a fairly brisk dinner trade and that dishes were fixed with spices native to Australia, Has any one else eaten Australian food and what did you think of it?

7 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/05/15 17:33:12 (permalink)
    I get to Newark once in awhile, was this place down by the college? I'd love to try it. You didn't mention Bloomin' Onions either. Great!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/05/15 20:51:54 (permalink)
    Yes. It was on the main street going toward town after I exitted I-95. T.he restaurant serves dinner but I had lunch
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/05/15 21:34:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

One thing I forgot to mention on my Washington travel post. While driving to Philadelphia from Springfield, Va, we stopped in Newark. Delaware for lunch at a place called Waltzing Matilda's, an Australian restaurant. We had Kobe, Kangaroo and Emu burgers, all of which tasted quite good. The reviews of the place indicated it did a fairly brisk dinner trade and that dishes were fixed with spices native to Australia, Has any one else eaten Australian food and what did you think of it?

Well, I ate it in Sidney and at the beach just south of Bisbane (Surfer's Paradise for those with an Australian map). Didn't strike me as very different from American food and they have many immigrants from southeast Asia so that kind of food's common too. But whatever you eat you have to eat it with either a cool Foster's or an Australian wine (that's the law!). I also ate a fair amount in New Zealand (Christchurch, mostly) and that's more like Merry Olde England. Lots of savory pastries and asparagus sandwiches and such.

Full disclosure: I own stock in Foster's Brewery PLC (which also sells lots of well-known wine brands like Rosemount).
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/05/15 21:44:44 (permalink)
    I've been to Australia a few times, and I don't think they eat too much kangaroo or emu, other than as a novelty. Along with witchity grubs, I suppose. No blooming onions. My impression was that Australian food is edging toward the generic Western type of food, still with a few nods toward English. As BT notes, a lot of Southeast Asian -- and South Asian -- food, too. As BT says, New Zealand is a lot more English -- McDonalds has a burger that includes a fried egg and beets (I'm not making that up). My lasting impression of both places is that they can't make a good sandwich -- white bread, meat, maybe some mayo, and that's it.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/05/15 22:53:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

As BT says, New Zealand is a lot more English -- McDonalds has a burger that includes a fried egg and beets (I'm not making that up). My lasting impression of both places is that they can't make a good sandwich -- white bread, meat, maybe some mayo, and that's it.

I lived in Melbourne 20 years ago and have a few memories of burgers and sandwiches.

First off, all around Australia you can get a burger "with the lot" which includes a fried egg and a slice of beetroot, along with other ingredients. I read on Chowhound recently that McDonald's offers a McAussie burger that includes these ingredients.

Regarding sandwiches, I would agree that they were mostly insipid. Usually only a slice or two of meat, white bread and that's it. I don't remember much in the way of mayo but butter was ubiquitous. I would always ask that my sandwich not be buttered. The one exception was a fine sandwich place called Schwobs that was my lunchtime salvation. I remember it to this day.
    boilermaker
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/07/08 17:43:20 (permalink)
    If anybody is travelling through Idaho Falls, ID, visit Aussie Eats (www.aussieeats.com). Good selection, and some Austrailian groceries.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Australian Food(It's not Outback Steakhouse) 2005/07/25 21:19:27 (permalink)
    The Australian Bakery Cafe on the square in Marietta, Georgia has done well enough to expand to a second location is East Atlanta. Pasties and other items are quite tasty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1