Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/01/22 02:47:42 (permalink)

Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes

Maybe this post should have been placed in the professional's forum, but what I've been looking for is a source of cookbooks that feature the mainstay recipes of now defunct cafeterias. Luby's doesn't really qualify as their recipes are not typical of the fare found in many long, gone cafeterias that dominated the south as transplants from the NY area. Years ago, the cafeteria offerings were so homologous that no matter which you went to, the food was nearly identical around here. We had, to name a few, Parke Lane,Toby's,Tyler's, Forum,David's,Polly Davis,Biscayne. I'm sure that I missed as many as I listed. One thing that they had in common was a near identical menu and flavor palette. Most all had original roots in NY or were spin-offs of the original Miami restaurants. You can't help but wonder if they were working from the same playbook. What I'm hoping to find even if it's out of print is an industrial cookbook that offers recipes for steam table pan sized recipes and not home scaled recipes. Any thoughts or leads. School cafeteria websites and recipes don't even come close to this style of fare
Any suggestions are welcome.

4 Replies Related Threads

Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes 2010/01/23 12:13:55 (permalink)
    Your post sounds like you have already taken this past the point where my thoughts might help, but here goes.

First of all, I've seen cookbooks with an quantity orientation that was for commercial operations and suspect that some one at the nearest cooking school to you could give you some cuurent titles.  That might be at CIA or similar, or at a junior college, or even a technical school.

Second, there was a TV Cooking Show person, Earl Peyroux, who was on public TV for many years.  He died several years ago.  Peyroux was from the south but to me did not have a southern accent.  His recipes to me often sounded  and looked like he was cooking at a resort for New Yorkers in the Catskills say, both in terms of the foods prepeared and the quantity.  The link mentions he prepared large amounts of food.   I have never seen one of his cookbooks.

Good luck on this.  As a matter of curiosity I hope you will post some of the information you receive about this subject.

http://www.blogofdeath.com/archives/000452.html
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes 2010/02/02 10:24:02 (permalink)
    Further to my previous note, I  have come across a book for "advanced culinary students" who want to be chefs.  It is said to be a complete course in Advanced International Cuisine.   It is Recipes for Success: A Guide to Advanced Cuisine, by Chefs Chaton and Talmage, ISBN 0 8273 3027 8.  It was published in 1988 and there is evidently a companion text intended as the instructors guide.  It has items such as Salad Nicoise for a dozen, five dozen (stuffed) escargot, and osso buco for twenty-five.  Steam table quantities, but not exactly the fare in any cafeteria I visited.  Maybe your library has this book, or can get it through ILL. 
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes 2010/02/03 05:28:35 (permalink)
     I would look to some of the local prisons for some of their recipes. They just might surprise you with some really old institutional cook books. Most prison's libraries are filled with out of print and old cast off books that were donated by schools, Govt. programs, and other older sources. check it out!

JMHO

David O.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Authentic Cafeteria Cookbooks/Recipes 2010/02/03 09:14:01 (permalink)
    This is not an exact answer to your query .... It is something, now that I think about it, that may be on my table tonight.

http://www.thefoodmaven.c...ecipes/mac_cheese.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1