Authentic Italian Beef Recipe

Author
arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2006/11/12 21:33:49 (permalink)

Authentic Italian Beef Recipe

I found this some time ago on the I-net. It's from Mike North, a Chicago radio sports talk host. He and his wife owned a beef stand at one time. This is delicious.
The water amounts to about 18 cups, I believe, so to halve the recipe for a 5 lb roast, use about 9 cups. Also, I think McCormick recently discontinued their garlic juice product.

Italian Beef
Download Printable PDF

• 20 Bay Leaves
• 8 teaspoons oregano
• 2 1/4 teaspoons rosemary
• 2 1/4 teaspoons thyme
• 1 3/4 teaspoons marjoram
• 2 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 cup dry parsley
• 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
• 1 3/4 teaspoons celery salt
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 2 3/4 teaspoons red pepper
• 10 cloves minced garlic
• 1/2 c garlic liquid juice
• 6 teaspoons basil
• 10 lb piece sirloin tip or good roast of your choice.
• 1 cup french onion soup base or beef base

Fill a Nesco roaster halfway with water. Put all spices in cheesecloth, tie with kitchen string and drop into water. Add soup base. Cut 1/2 inch slits in beef and put in pieces of minced garlic. Roast 15 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to about 130º unless you like it more well done. Let beef cool completely before slicing. It’s actually better to slice it cold. Slice as thin as possible, preferably with an electric meat slicer.

When you are ready to eat it, heat gravy in a pan. Drop in slices of beef. Heat just till warm, you don’t’ want the beef to boil. It becomes very tough. Serve on crusty french bread with roasted sweet peppers or hot giardinera. Very Good.

2 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Authentic Italian Beef Recipe 2006/12/06 13:17:56 (permalink)
    Nice recipe Arelabs, and welcome to roadfood! I wonder if someone makes a spice pack, kinda like they do for chili, but all tied up in cheese cloth, for Italian Beef? If not, hmmm, why not?
    Joe
    arelabs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Authentic Italian Beef Recipe 2006/12/10 15:41:54 (permalink)
    Here's two more, Italian Beef fans! I also posted this ns Sandwiches.

Here's two Italian Beef recipes, both printed in the Chicago Tribune. The first is almost identical to the one Desertdog (hope I got that right) reconstructed for this thread, which comes from "Two for the Road" by Jane and Michael Stern. The second is one created in the Chicago Tribune test kitchen, which is very similar to the one Gonnella Bread posts on its website. Buona Beef also has a recipe online, which I can post, if someone wishes. Enjoy, everyone.

Italian Beef (Stern recipe)

6 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
    1 boneless chuck roast, about 3-4 pounds
    1 cup water
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tablespoon each: crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt, coarsely ground pepper
    8 hero rolls or 4 lengths of Italian bread
    Drained roasted peppers or giardiniera (spicy pickled vegetables), optional

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Use a small knife to insert the garlic slivers into the roast all over. Put the water in a deep baking pan not much larger than the roast. Add the roast; top the roast with the seasonings.

Cover tightly with foil; bake, basting occasionally, adding water if necessary, until meat is fork-tender and browned, about 2 hours, 30 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan; let stand 15-20 minutes. slice into razor-thin pieces; set aside.

Meanwhile, degrease the pan; taste pan juices and adjust seasoning. (It should be highly seasoned with a peppery bite.) Place the sliced beef in the juices; set aside 15-20 minutes. Serve on the rolls with peppers or giardiniera.

Italian Beef Sandwiches (Tribune test kitchen)

1 teaspoon each: crushed red pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 small sirloin tip roast, about 2 1/2 pounds
    1 cup cold water
    8 soft or hard Italian rolls, warmed
    Pickled hot sport peppers or sliced sweet peppers, as desired

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine seasonings in a small bowl; rub half of the mixutre over all surfaces of meat, working some of it under the fat layer. Put the meat in a shallow pan just large enough to hold it; roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, roast 20 minutes longer.

Remove pan from oven; pour cold water into bottom of pan. Let stand several minutes until fat has solidified. Remove fat; discard. Add remaining seasoning mixture to pan juices. Return to oven, roast until instant read thermometer reads 130 degrees for rare, about 20 minutes, or cook as desired. Remove meat from roasting pan; cool 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, degrease pan juices. Transfer juice to a saucepan, cook over medium heat until heated through, about 3 mnutes. Slice meat into paper-thin slices, using a meat slicer, or electric knife, if available. Dip several pieces briefly into hot juice. Layer meat and juices into split rolls. Add peppers as desired.

Now, here's Buona Beef's recipe, as posted on the I-Net (Buona Beef, of course, is in Chicagoland - Berwyn.

Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich

Recipe from: Joe Buonavolanto Jr., co-owner of Buona Beef Restaurants
    Servings: 30 to 40 sandwiches

For smaller portions reduce ingredients portionally.

9 to 10 pounds top inside beef round
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 quarts water
    ½ cup chopped oregano
    ¼ cup salt
    ¼ cup black pepper
    1 teaspoon. red pepper flakes
    35 freshly baked French rolls
    1 ½ pounds sliced mozzarella cheese

For roasting times, figure on 10-12 minutes per pound for medium. Check with a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sirloin in roasting pan and dry roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add water, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Return to oven and roast at 350°F for 2 to 2 ½ hours. Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees. Thinly slice beef and pile high on freshly baked French rolls. Add cheese if desired. Reserve cooking juices to make "wet" sandwiches. Garnish with sliced sweet bell peppers and hot giardinara.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1