Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
2010/08/29 13:46:24 (permalink)

Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso

Would anyone like to share their recipe for smoked rattlesnake queso?

I've been working on one since my buddy moved out to a ranch-ette in Burnet Texas and subsequently now has access to rattlesnakes.

With all the Hatch peppers around Austin right now, plentiful amounts of Longhorn cheddar and a bunch of hickory raring to go in my smoker I figure I'm set on the fixings.

It sounds like a joke but yes, rattlesnake's flavor is similar to chicken.

scrumptiouschef

Here's my recipe for Smoked Rattlesnake Queso

First let's make a roux to tighten the queso

4 oz butter
4 oz flour
* Heat butter, add flour, stir til roux forms, cook 5 minutes, set aside

Ingredients for queso:

1 freshly killed Texas Rattler dressed out to several edible ounces
8 oz Longhorn Cheddar, grated
6 each Chiles, Hatch, Roasted, Chopped
24 oz Milk, Whole, from a local cow if at all possible

Method

* Shred snake meat to consistency of chopped chicken, make a foil pouch leaving top open, toss the rattler with oil, salt and pepper, place in pouch
* Build fire on one side of smoker, let go to embers, place soaked wood chunks [I like hickory] on fire
* Put rattler pouch on opposite side of fire, open vent directly over rattler meat
* Let smoke for 2 hours, remove
Method Part 2
* Heat milk in heavy saucepan
* Add cheese
* Stir til melted
* Add roux
* Add chopped chiles
* Add rattler
* Stir til consistency is as you like it
* This formula will make a fairly "loose" queso
* If you like it thicker just cook on stove top at medium for 15 minutes and a reduction will occur

Voila. Tex Mex at it's finest. It sounds like a joke but yes, rattlesnake's flavor is similar to chicken

Bon Appetit y'all

http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/

6 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/29 14:27:43 (permalink)
    This would NOT be on my list of Top 1000 Tex Mex things to eat!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/29 14:41:31 (permalink)
    Like a famous Texan Rodney Carrington once told his waitress at Tha Big Texan in Amarillo;

If it tastes like chicken... then just give me chicken.

I think he was talkin bout calf fries but the same applies.

But... I love Rattlesnake and do not think it tastes at all like chicken. Nor do frog legs or... calf fries.

Chef... that said, (note the word "being" not being used ((old roadfood joke)) ) where can we order some good smoked rattler for use in developing and sharing our queso recipes w/ you?
    Joe
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/29 22:15:55 (permalink)
    We had frog's legs for lunch yesterday and they do not taste like chicken.  They taste like frog's legs.

I've never eaten rattlesnake  - the ones I've encountered had a really strong smell - I was told it was mating season - so I didn't think cooking them was an option.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/30 16:59:03 (permalink)
    FoodB, Lol. Prob not on most folks top 1,000 list. Although... I do love fried rattler.

Baileys, I did not know about the mating season deal. But... better than having the ones you encountered try to bite you! :~) Oh, and thanks for the back up about frog leggs not tasting like chicken.
    Joe
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/31 11:15:42 (permalink)
    You know, I wasn't thinking about this. But I bet it would be pretty good with shredded chicken.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Authentic Tex Mex Part 2: How to Make Smoked Rattlesnake Queso 2010/08/31 13:56:59 (permalink)
    Your right Mosca. I think Chef probably intended for most of us to sub chicken. Smoked turkey, like Sunday House, might work good also.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1