Auto PayPal Renewal Problem

Author
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
2007/12/22 15:11:41 (permalink)

Auto PayPal Renewal Problem

I like the idea of automatic renewal of my Roadfood Insider subscription, but it did not work for me.

When the time came, I got emails stating that I needed to renew my backup credit card on PayPal. Now, mind you, I allow direct deductions from my bank account. When I went to my PayPal account, the credit card listed was years away from expiring. (?)

PayPal said it was a problem on the RoadFood end. My subscription was ended. Without making any changes, I applied for another subscription, using PayPal. It went through fine.

I wonder whether it will go through automatically next year?

7 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2007/12/22 15:17:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MIAMIDON

I like the idea of automatic renewal of my Roadfood Insider subscription, but it did not work for me.

When the time came, I got emails stating that I needed to renew my backup credit card on PayPal. Now, mind you, I allow direct deductions from my bank account. When I went to my PayPal account, the credit card listed was years away from expiring. (?)

PayPal said it was a problem on the RoadFood end. My subscription was ended. Without making any changes, I applied for another subscription, using PayPal. It went through fine.

I wonder whether it will go through automatically next year?
    We'll just have to wait and see.

Seriously, I think I had kind of a weird experience renewing this year. Overall, I am happy with Paypal.

MIAMIDON .... Looking forward to more posts.
    vmarinoRoad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/02/21 11:35:51 (permalink)
    I also received an email from PayPal that my subscription was rejected because of the credit card. I updated the card information and reviewed the subscription to insure that it would work correctly. I must have done something else, because I now received an email from PayPal that the subscription was cancelled, and I must now contact Roadfood. Who do I contact at Roadfood?

Vince Marino
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/02/21 11:40:52 (permalink)
    Hi Vince,

I saw that entire event unfold, and unfortunately we don't have any control over PayPal. My best advice to you would be to re-register for the Roadfood Insider through our web site. I am sorry it can be a pain, but we greatly appreciate your support.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/09/12 11:08:03 (permalink)
    Another year, and dumped off of Roadfood Insider again.

Same wrong message about credit card back up, but reading the message carefully, it indicated that I must select the payment method as either e-check, or credit card. Evidently the Roadfood subscription account is set up to not allow renewals with direct transfer from a bank account. ???

I followed the directions, and the Paypal computer told me that they will try again on 9/14/08.

Oh well, we'll see what happens on Sunday.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/09/16 15:17:19 (permalink)
    Well, after changing my subscription to use a credit card instead of EFT, it went through on Sunday. Despite Roadfood's insistence that it is PayPal, I do not think that is the case. PayPal WANTS you to use EFT instead of credit cards, which incur charges. For any other purchase on PayPal, I would have to "jump through hoops" to assure them that I REALLY want to use a credit card. Why should it be different for a subscription? I was able to start the subscription with PayPal EFT.

Like Ellen4641, I found it annoying that I could not access logs, or work on restaurant reviews for 5 days.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/09/16 17:21:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Like Ellen4641, I found it annoying that I could not access logs, or work on restaurant reviews for 5 days.

Yes, it hardly seems right that we should suddenly get shut out for 5 days, when the renewal is supposed to be automatic..

Espescially since we're are mostly trying to make contributions by sharing our food and travel pics; we are trying to GIVE, not trying to TAKE anything... and Miami Don knows what it's like to spend 3 hours doing a Trip Report..

David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Auto PayPal Renewal Problem 2008/09/17 18:51:00 (permalink)
    One of the last problems handed to me by my elderly friends was what did PayPal mean when they wanted you to get "Verified". I am of the opinion that the sole reason is to get your CHECKING ACCOUNT number. This way they can fund your purchases by taking money out of your checking account rather than pay credit card processing fees. But did PayPal programmers go through all their software programs to see if anything needed adjusting because EFT, unlike credit card authorization, is not instant?

Of vendors who use PayPal, I find a dearth of information on their web sites about the procedure required for the transaction to take place flawlessly.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1