Automatic Renewal of Insider Account

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Alexfinlayson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/05/07 15:41:03 (permalink)

Automatic Renewal of Insider Account

This practice of automatic renewal via PayPal has left a bad taste in my mouth. The Roadfood.com website gives no information about cancelling it and no customer service option on their Contact Page. (Nevermind no phone number!) Paypal denies responsibility. And this has been going on for years-- trapped in Roadfood land. I used to love the Sterns and now I feel used.

34 Replies Related Threads

RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 16:05:34 (permalink)
    Just log into your paypal acct. and cancel the subscription. You always have complete control over any paypal subscription.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 16:21:30 (permalink)
    Funny. I was sad when, for some reason, mine didn't renew automatically.

I thought it was supposed to.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 16:34:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexfinlayson

This practice of automatic renewal via PayPal has left a bad taste in my mouth. The Roadfood.com website gives no information about cancelling it and no customer service option on their Contact Page. (Nevermind no phone number!) Paypal denies responsibility. And this has been going on for years-- trapped in Roadfood land. I used to love the Sterns and now I feel used.

Check here...

http://roadfood.com/MyRoadfood/Insider.aspx

As far as cancelling through paypal...sign into your account, then click on "history" tab.

Once there, there is a line labeled search. You want to click on the box next to "search" and limit your search to "subscriptions", then on next line specify the time period you want to search. I'd suggest a year.

After clicking search you will get a list of subscriptions, and cancelling is a matter of clicking the appropriate boxes.

Hope that helps.

Just to add...if you had a subscription under more than one name, you may have to cancel both (or how ever many you have). I see you indicate this has been going on for years, yet you only became a member under this name a little over a year ago. This would mean this recent renewal would have been your first renewal. I can only guess the ones where "this has been going on for years" were under some other name. Sorry for your troubles.
    Alexfinlayson
    Junior Burger
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 17:14:53 (permalink)
    Dear Tony Bad, Thank you for your help. I believed I became a member two years ago, so thank you for correcting me. I contacted Paypal and was told I had to cancel my Paypal account. And that I could not be reimbursed for the automatic renewal because I had authorized it. What I'm upset about is that when I first subscribed I was not fully warned that the renewal would take place automatically. I resent that I was not ASKED if I wanted to renew. This experience will guarantee I never join another website or transact with Paypal. I still would like my money reimbursed.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2920
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 17:22:22 (permalink)
    When I signed on, it was clear to me in writing. I did not speak with anyone, therefore, there I was not asked but it was written and agreed by me in my online agreement which was June'ish, 2006.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 17:48:46 (permalink)
    Stay with roadfood. You will get your money back the first time you read a review and choose not to eat there. Attend a road food function some day and Hell. I'll buy your dinner. See your still saving money with Roadfood. "Get Your Self In A Better Mood.......Choose Road Food!"
    Alexfinlayson
    Junior Burger
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 18:03:15 (permalink)
    I've been following RoadFood since the first edition of the book 100 years ago. Enjoying the loving labors of the Sterns and appreciating their approach to food has nothing to do with this issue. This issue is about the common practices of subscription websites and of Paypal. I followed Tony Bad's advice and through a series of very convoluted maneuvers on Paypal managed to find the way to discontinue the subscription. (He was far more helpful than the Paypal representative.) If Roadfood.com wants to be user friendly, this information needs to be posted clearly on the website in the Accounts section along with an explanation of automatic renewals for those of us who are older, poorer, and not so tech-saavy. I understand now that it is a Paypal issue, but if Roadrood.com values its customers it will be upfront about the practices it uses to collect money.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 18:39:09 (permalink)
    The automatic renewal information has always clearly been listed on the sign-up page. Here is the exact text:
    quote:
    We use PayPal for our billing and subscription service - it is the most well recognized and safe e-commerce system on the Internet. Because this is a subscription service, PayPal will automatically bill you another increment at the end of your year unless you cancel. Subscription cancellations must be made through PayPal. <---THAT IS ALSO POSTED IN BOLD. Lastly, paying by e-check usually takes 5 business days to clear before you can get access. Other payment methods are nearly instant.
    Alexfinlayson
    Junior Burger
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 19:09:33 (permalink)
    Mr. Rushmore, I appreciate your information. However, when trying to figure out HOW to cancel or what I agreed to a year ago (when I sometimes can't remember last week) I would never have clicked on the Sign-up page to find answers. (Especially for fear I would accidently sign-up again.) I am offering you advice to help customers feel valued and knowledgeable. On my account page it would have been helpful to have had information regarding the renewal or that I had used Paypal or how many months til renewal. Or even a disclaimer like you quote above. From visiting the forums-- the first time in my computer life I have visited a forum which I resorted to out of desperation-- I learned other people were confused as well. You, however, have an opportunity to improve your website. When I encounter a site-- like Paypal's and yours-- that make finding information difficult, I assume it is information that is being kept from me to make more money or that website administrators are careless. The best part is I learned a valuable lesson and cancelled my entire Paypal account. And if I have to be stuck paying 19.95 for something I cannot afford, at least it is Roadfood.com.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 19:21:22 (permalink)
    Understood Alex. I have never unsubscribed so it's harder for me to understand Thanks for your feedback. BTW, I have already canceled your account.
    Alexfinlayson
    Junior Burger
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/07 19:25:54 (permalink)
    Bless you, Mr. Rushmore, and ROADFOOD. The service you provided is enough to make me leave you a big tip. You made my day.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/08 07:14:20 (permalink)
    After a bad experience with Pay Pal years ago I cancelled my account. I still receive emails from them telling me that someone is trying to access it, for additional info click on the attached ____________.

Am I able to renew my RF Insider Membership with a credit card when the time comes?

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/08 07:31:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

After a bad experience with Pay Pal years ago I cancelled my account. I still receive emails from them telling me that someone is trying to access it, for additional info click on the attached ____________.

Am I able to renew my RF Insider Membership with a credit card when the time comes?

Not sure about the credit card thing but if you send me one of those sirloin steaks that you just posted, I'll pay for your membership. Great looking dinner with the sides also. Chow Jim
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/08 08:39:35 (permalink)
    quote:

Those e-mails have nothing to do with Paypal. They are people trying to steal your ID info. My Mom gets them too and never had a PayPal account. I also get similar ones from banks where I never had accounts.
    dahl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/08 13:31:10 (permalink)
    Well, this thread is interesting. I just signed on, WITHOUT the Insider option. I have had this very problem with other sites. There is no warning that the automatic renewal is about to occur and by the time it appears on you account it is too late. Sites typically make it easy to join, and hard to find a way to quit.
    I'm looking forward to Roadfood, and hope that the standard membership is no too disabled. I may yet join the insider, but I'm going to hang out here for a while first. BTW, how many people actually read that batch of boilerplate that we are so often asked to "agree" to??
    dahl in Nebraska
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/08 14:19:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dahl

... BTW, how many people actually read that batch of boilerplate that we are so often asked to "agree" to??
    dahl in Nebraska

that reminded me of a disclaimer I read in an auto dealer ad many years ago...down at the bottom of the ad in ultra small print (you know, where they explain all the lies in the body of the ad)

Intelligent people always read the fine print.

(and welcome to roadfood dahl!)

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/09 02:32:49 (permalink)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14586

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/09 07:22:47 (permalink)
    I have no problem supporting RF with my $20.00 a year even though I do not use any of the additional services available to Insider Members. I absolutely refuse to use Pay Pal, been there, done that, and will never do so again. When my current membership expires I'll renew it the old fashioned way. I do wonder why we cannot just renew it on line with a credit card?

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/09 08:47:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14586

Yikes that one got ugly. I hope this one doesn't head down that path!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/05/09 14:04:47 (permalink)
    That WAS a wild ride.

Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/10/14 01:50:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    This practice of automatic renewal via PayPal has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Perhaps if the Roadfood team reads often enough that many of us don't want to use PayPal and don't feel comfortable with doing automatic renewal with it, they'll initiate alternative payment modes. I hope so.

Roadfood is a business and a business that wants to reach its full potential listens to its customers. In the case of a website like Roadfood.com, this especially includes usability issues--helping customers be comfortable with their online experiences.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/10/14 04:30:28 (permalink)
    Can't sleep? Need a laugh? Want to read some side-splitting funny stories, inuendo, shill postings, BS, rumor, propaganda, word on the street, product bashing, naysaying, helpful hints? Go over to NoPayPal.com.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/10/14 15:50:25 (permalink)
    Yo, David_NYC, why don't the people who created and contributed to nopaypal tell us how they really feel about the service!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2007/10/14 20:57:13 (permalink)
    Because this is a family-oriented website.
    bhyde
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2008/07/10 08:43:34 (permalink)
    Hm, I didn't expect the auto-renew. So count me among the surprised.

First I assumed my honey had done it. Then I assumed I'd find a toggle on the preferences page (so I might suggest a link there to "billing"). Then I poked around in the forums (count me surprised that there isn't a search function obvious on those pages). Then I read the FAQ (so I might suggest a addition there). Finally I tried "renew" in the search box which brought me to this thread.

After reading this I logged into paypal. There I can see the charge, and a link to a long obscure number - that link takes you to the subscription. There everything is explained.

I'm surprised I didn't notice I was signing up for a repeating subscription, but I didn't. In the best of all possible worlds there would be an easy way for me to unwind the renewal short of disputing the charge. So I wonder if there might not be a button on the site for that.

Love the site, keep up the good work. I've been a fan since the early 80s; and I often tell people of visit to the Stockyard Cafe - "Where men who know meat meet to eat." and the jello salad place in Iowa.
    Newcomb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2008/08/11 13:16:14 (permalink)
    We’re in the same boat – unaware of the auto-renew and there’s no info on RF that jumps out. I followed the steps discussed here and had to cancel through PayPal but RF got its extra $19.95 out of us

I find it somewhat sneaky…
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2008/08/11 13:19:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Funny. I was sad when, for some reason, mine didn't renew automatically.

I thought it was supposed to.

Me too! I was only annoyed because, I had to renew mine all over again rather than it's renewing automatically. Which I would have preferred.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2008/09/16 12:53:38 (permalink)
    quote:

I have no problem supporting RF with my $20.00 a year even though I do not use any of the additional services available to Insider Members. I absolutely refuse to use Pay Pal, been there, done that, and will never do so again. When my current membership expires I'll renew it the old fashioned way. I do wonder why we cannot just renew it on line with a credit card?

I agree with you 100%,John!!
    I am currently stuck in Pay Pal LIMBO now!

All of a sudden because my Insider account renewed automatically thru Pay Pal, I have to wait 5 days for my whopping $19.95 to clear, before I can upload photos!!

And I have Trip Reports I'd like to post the pics for!!
    this is ridiculous.. can't put pics up for 5 days!! I'm suspended!

please cancel my Pal Pal renewal after this...
    I will do it thru credit card as well!!!

ellen
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    RE: Automatic Renewal of Insider Account 2008/09/16 13:10:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibRater

quote:
    Originally posted by dahl

... BTW, how many people actually read that batch of boilerplate that we are so often asked to "agree" to??
    dahl in Nebraska

that reminded me of a disclaimer I read in an auto dealer ad many years ago...down at the bottom of the ad in ultra small print (you know, where they explain all the lies in the body of the ad)

Intelligent people always read the fine print.

(and welcome to roadfood dahl!)

The large print giveth, The fine print taketh away.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1