Autumn is good eatin' time

Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2004/09/18 11:25:25 (permalink)

Autumn is good eatin' time

Kids of today miss out on a lot of good stuff. Going to the supermarket, or a restaurant, or eating frozen food will never match what we had at this time every year.

It really started the end of August here on Long Island, NY, as far as I am concerned. Corn, tomatoes, peachs and the wonderful Atlantic Bluefish all arrive at the same time. Followed closely by new potatoes, new cabbage, apples, cauliflower and a ton of poke chops from a newly butched pig. And all that was followed by great big pumpkins and big bellys to match. Man that was great eatin' time. Working on a farm in my youth was a great way to grow up. Canning tomatoes and apple sauce and all the other good stuff was a labor of love. Everyone into the kitchen doing something to help or getting in the way. Pies--oh man, peach and apple and pumpkin and (because we had cows that gave cream)whipped cream on everything. Except the poke chops, they had gravy all over them. Kids you don't know what you missed.

14 Replies Related Threads

Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/19 10:48:05 (permalink)
    Where is the Chicken?
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/20 17:45:34 (permalink)
    Man, the chicken has been eaten all year round. Now is the time for
    the fruit of the fall. A big pile of newly butchered pork chops is ambrosia. Add all the corn and tomatos and new potatos and ------
    it is a wonderful time of year, and if you never sat down to a feast of bluefish you haven't lived. They wont be around for long, but the chickens will be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/21 10:15:47 (permalink)
    I cooked my first pot of turnips last night. I bought them at the Farmers Market Saturday. I also bought a head of cabbage. Cabbage just seems to taste better in the Fall. I also like greens of all kinds, Stew Beef, stewed potatoes-and of course Crowder Peas with cornbread. My mother always made sure that we went to pick crowder peas each year-The last couple of years we have just bought a couple bushels from the local farmers and we put them and greens in our freezers each year. I forgot Sweet Potatoes. We always enjoy them all during the Fall season.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/21 14:23:27 (permalink)
    I can't wait until collards and mustard greens start coming in !! However, the general rule is that you are supposed to wait until after the first frost to harvest them (at least according to my mother) !
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/21 14:34:58 (permalink)
    My Mom always said that too. The first frost is supposed to make the greens more tender
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I can't wait until collards and mustard greens start coming in !! However, the general rule is that you are supposed to wait until after the first frost to harvest them (at least according to my mother) !
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/21 19:11:22 (permalink)
    Sorry I thought this was the Chicken Forum
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15230
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2004/09/21 19:36:33 (permalink)
    Before we start our roadtrip we clean out all the fall veggies from the garden. We have a big shelf full of butternut squash. The Okra has all been picked, but their will be more by the time we get home. Tomatoes will continue to come along and the peppers get real active again as the weather cools a bit. Average temps are now in the upper 70's, but it has been the driest September on record this year.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/21 16:01:29 (permalink)
    Well it's autumn again----------I just bought a cauliflower the size of a basketball
    at a roadside stand on Loooong Island for 99 cents. I needed help carrying it to the suv.

The apples are delicious and the peachs fantastic. Corn and tomatoes can't get any
    better----and tonight we will be eating blue fish that was swimming in the sound this
    morning. My son said it gave a helluva fight.

Broiled Bluefish, new potatoes, corn on the cob, cauliflower with some kinda sauce on it
    apple pie, and peach cobbler. All absolutely fresh, grown and picked right here on the Island.

You can't get this stuff in Florida so that's why I hit the Road and came north---
    gotta see all the kids anyhow. "It don't get any better than this".

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6759
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/22 05:56:44 (permalink)
    Ancient mariner.......sounds lovely. In AK we still have AK lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and all the root vegetables but very soon (in two weeks or so) the snow will be flying and all we'll have is CA stuff. We sure do miss corn and tomatoes. No fruit to speak of grown here.....a handful of apples, that's it and they're tasteless.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/22 06:29:35 (permalink)
    You are cetainly right. I have an orchid near by and just love the fresh pressed apple cider, hot apple cider donuts and fresh pies from their stand.
    They also have a great selection of local grown produce, the fall bounty so to speak.
    Our local fair starts next week and all these great harvested offerings will be displayed in the agricultural barn there. The last night of the fair they auction off the displays, some great bargains to be had. This gives me a chance to stock the root celler and maybe fire up the canner.
    Chow Jim
    fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/22 09:39:00 (permalink)
    Pumpkin, stuffed, creamed, candied, baked, here on LI I take advantage of pumpkin.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/22 11:30:38 (permalink)
    Lisa the Chef----- When I was in college there was an offer made by the USA
    to go to Alaska and settle and get 10 acres free. I approached the love of
    my life (at that time)with the thought of heading up there. She said I was nuts.
    After reading your post I have to think she was right.
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/26 13:06:45 (permalink)
    ...time to make pear/ginger sauce!
    (like applesauce but better...)
    ...time to roast winter squashes!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Autumn is good eatin' time 2007/09/26 16:31:01 (permalink)
    I stopped by my local orchard to see how this drought has affected them.

The apples are smaller and less juicy then usual. The pumpkins are not as big, which is good and bad, I like to carve a really BIG pumpkin for halloween.

the good part of that is that eans there are more smaller pumpkins for pies and such.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1