Avoid Taco Bell at all costs!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
2006/09/25 13:42:09 (permalink)

Avoid Taco Bell at all costs!

I was really hungry Friday and in the mood for mexican food, but only had 15 minutes. So against my better judgement I went to TB even though I have always heard nothing but bad things about it.
I ordered 6 tacos and a 3 bean burritos. The tacos were awful! They were cold and filled with some kind of heavily salted meat by-product. The lettuce was wilted and there was some kind of plastic cheese-like product in them.
I moved on to the burritos and the tortillas were actually pretty good and would have been quite edible if they were warm. Inside was some kind of horrible bean paste with mushy onions. The paste had the consistency of cat food (only not as tasty, I bet). After eating all that washed down by a large Pepsi, I began to feel ill as I drove to my next appointment. The next hour was a nightmare as I had serious gastrointestinal problems and tried not show my distress in front of a potential customer. I was so thankful to survive that ordeal and now vow never to eat there again.
Please avoid Taco Bell at ALL costs!

35 Replies Related Threads

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 13:56:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

I ordered 6 tacos and a 3 bean burritos. After eating all that washed down by a large Pepsi

6 tacos, 3 bean burritos and a large Pepsi and you wonder why you got a tummy ache? " />
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 14:01:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:

I ordered 6 tacos and a 3 bean burritos. After eating all that washed down by a large Pepsi

6 tacos, 3 bean burritos and a large Pepsi and you wonder why you got a tummy ache? " />

I'm a big girl NebGuy and can eat with the best of them. I assure you my tummy ache was due to the quality of the food not the quantity.
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 14:30:10 (permalink)
    I agree, TB is pretty nasty. I avoid it at all cost. I only go there when the grandkids beg, and I do mean they have to beg big.

Today for lunch I went to a local place called Bandito Burrito and had 2 of the best tasting tacos, cheese dig and big, crunch, tasty chips. They remind me so much of the tacos I use to get as a little girl in Harlingen, TX.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 15:35:33 (permalink)
    One thing I've noticed about Taco Bell is that the people who work in there invariably look, shall we say, less than squeaky clean. I have stopped going there for that reason.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 15:53:42 (permalink)
    Six tacos and three bean burritos? I would expect to be flying to the throne room! But yah, I know what you mean about the fillings.
    The only thing I get there now is the 7 layer burrito, and it's hit or miss depending on the store.

Andrea
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 17:36:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jennyv

quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

One thing I've noticed about Taco Bell is that the people who work in there invariably look, shall we say, less than squeaky clean. I have stopped going there for that reason.

exactly how does one look "less than squeaky clean"?? Do they look different than you per chance? Mybe Taco Bell doesn't need people like you going there.

I didn't infer "looking different" from that comment. I assumed the reference was that personal hygiene maybe wasn't at the top of their list of priorities. And, if that's the case, I'd agree, along with a whole list of FF places.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 17:57:27 (permalink)
    The Bell isn't that bad. Their tacos are decent. Their nachos supreme are pretty good too.

The best fast burrito, by far though, is the fish taco especial from Rubios.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 18:12:45 (permalink)
    I guess the Taco Bells here are better than most elsewhere, I like them.

John
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 19:02:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RC51Mike

quote:
    Originally posted by jennyv

quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

exactly how does one look "less than squeaky clean"?? Do they look different than you per chance? Mybe Taco Bell doesn't need people like you going there.

I didn't infer "looking different" from that comment. I assumed the reference was that personal hygiene maybe wasn't at the top of their list of priorities. And, if that's the case, I'd agree, along with a whole list of FF places.

I also did not conclude that simply "looking different" was the problem. If I noticed that the employees of a restaurant seemed to be...let's just say...not as clean as they should be for their roles as food preparers/servers, I would avoid the place too.

Just as an example, I used to occasionally patronize a Subway sandwich shop, simply because there was nothing else in the immediate area for take-out sandwiches. After a couple of visits where I noticed that the plastic gloves on the sandwich preparers were literally full of holes, I decided to take my business elsewhere, even if it meant driving an extra few miles.

I really do try to avoid making judgements about people based on their clothing, hair styles, or other differences in appearance, but if "political correctness" winds up resulting in food-borne illness, that doesn't seem very correct or very logical to me. However, that is just one man's opinion.

If you wish to tolerate poor hygiene or other practices that could spread food-borne illness, that is your prerogative, just as it is the prerogative of others to avoid those practices as they see fit.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 19:32:00 (permalink)
    Ted, I would alert the manager about those holey gloves but.... if he was a good manager he would already know. Nevermind... as Rosanna Rosanadana used to say.
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 21:08:38 (permalink)
    PLEASE!!!! Not YET ANOTHER thread about Taco Hell.
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 21:57:04 (permalink)
    Taco Bell isn't the worst fast food I've had but they're close. Give me Taco Tico or Taco John's anyday.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/25 22:21:12 (permalink)
    I gotta say though Corabeth, I can put it away with the best of 'em too, but 6 tacos, 3 bean burritos, AND a large Pepsi in 15 minutes? That would put almost anyone in GI Defcon 4! As I always say, fast going in, fast coming out! I used to rush through meals all the time when I was a kid and paid the price. I linger a bit more now and savor what I'm eating. I almost never get something to eat if I don't have time to chew it and relax beacuse I know the hell I'll be in an hour later. Now I'm not a huge fan of the Bell as I think their food is of poor quality. I've never come to expect high quality or fresh ANYTHING from a FF joint. Virtually everything is warmed over and ready to serve/be assembled with minimal wait time so it can be "fast food".
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 02:25:20 (permalink)
    Un-fortunately I can remember TB before PepsiCo bought them out and sent them into a downward spiral. They actually cooked the meat and beans onsite. The cheese came pre-grated but it was REAL cheese, not full of filler crap.

I say un-fortunately because it USED TO be good.

In 2 weeks I'll be in calif. and can finally get some good mexican fast food.

MikeS.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 11:22:47 (permalink)
    I get the 1# bean buritto but only eat the beans, no problems.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 11:33:39 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    The only thing I have gotten from TB was their Mexican Pizza.
    It was alright.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    WingLover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 11:39:52 (permalink)
    6 tacos, 3 bean burritos, and a Pepsi in 15 minutes? I'm sorry, but it's no wonder you felt terrible after you ate that much food in such a short amount of time!

I guess I'm lucky, the Taco Bell near me is one of the Top 5 in the nation for customer service, I've never had a bad experience there. I like their soft shell beef tacos and their beef & potato burrito.

~Jessica
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 12:59:54 (permalink)
    Dont worry---I DO!!!
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 16:43:38 (permalink)
    Your first mistake was wanting mexican food and then going to taco bell. They are not even close.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 17:19:49 (permalink)
    going to Taco Bell for food and complaining about the food, is like going to prison and complaining about the size of the cell. You made the mistake, so you're really not in a position to complain about the consequences.

long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 17:35:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Adjudicator --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLEASE!!!! Not YET ANOTHER thread about Taco Hell.

And I always thought it was Taco Bell-ch !
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 17:47:33 (permalink)
    not even my chihuahuas would touch taco bell "food."
    Tedbear
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 17:58:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

going to Taco Bell for food and comalaining about the food, is like going to prison and complaining the size of the cell. You made the mistake, so you're really not in a position to complain about the consequences.

Well put!
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/26 20:49:12 (permalink)
    OK, this is no lie or exageration. I have a very good friend who has a degree in restaurant management and hospitality management. He studied in Europe and upon returning to the U.S. became catering manager at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan, then ran a Sofitel Hotel in San Francisco, the opened several Morgans of Chicago Steak Houses. However he missed his home of California and took a job with Taco Bell Corporation in Orange County as a district manager. He thought the corporate life would be easier than the 70+ hours a week of running restaurtants. But he became tired of Taco Bell within a year and quit. He told me never to eat at Taco Bell. He said the people they hire, including store managers, are the stupidest people in the world. That they can't remember anything and have bad hygene and don't obey the health rules. He said tghe food is so disgusting and cheap to keep margins high, there is no nutrition in it. I've said this before; you get what you pay for. He told me the cups, hot sauce, napkins, straws, cup covers, sporks and so on actually have a higher cost than the food. He said the food, if you can call it that, is of the laden with chemicals to make it taste "good" even though it is virtually not food at all but byproducts, sale and fat. The only thing that resembles real food is the tortilla. What's under that or stuffed in the corn shell is a mystery.

Go to Del Taco if you want half-way decent fast Mexican food.
    Tedbear
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/27 06:52:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

OK, this is no lie or exageration. I have a very good friend who has a degree in restaurant management and hospitality management. He studied in Europe and upon returning to the U.S. became catering manager at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan, then ran a Sofitel Hotel in San Francisco, the opened several Morgans of Chicago Steak Houses. However he missed his home of California and took a job with Taco Bell Corporation in Orange County as a district manager. He thought the corporate life would be easier than the 70+ hours a week of running restaurtants. But he became tired of Taco Bell within a year and quit. He told me never to eat at Taco Bell. He said the people they hire, including store managers, are the stupidest people in the world. That they can't remember anything and have bad hygene and don't obey the health rules. He said tghe food is so disgusting and cheap to keep margins high, there is no nutrition in it. I've said this before; you get what you pay for. He told me the cups, hot sauce, napkins, straws, cup covers, sporks and so on actually have a higher cost than the food. He said the food, if you can call it that, is of the laden with chemicals to make it taste "good" even though it is virtually not food at all but byproducts, sale and fat. The only thing that resembles real food is the tortilla. What's under that or stuffed in the corn shell is a mystery.

Go to Del Taco if you want half-way decent fast Mexican food.

I'm not here to defend Taco Bell, but I have to say that your friend's comments smack of resentment or personal dissatisfaction with his former employer more than anything else. Unless he met all of the many thousands of people whom they employ, I think that it would be very difficult to assess the intelligence, memory abilities and hygiene levels of those people.

I suspect that the generalities that he spouted could apply to some people, perhaps even many people, at virtually all of the fast food chains, and are not unique to Taco Bell or its corporate parent, Yum corporation (there is no entity known as Taco Bell Corporation) . And, the generalities about the cost and the quality of the food, although this again sounds like something bred from resentment, could probably apply to other fast food chains as well.

If your friend had a bad experience working for Taco Bell, I can understand his resentment, but his words really sound more like an attempt at retribution than anything else. And, once again, I am not a fan of the food at Taco Bell, but specific information would be better than broad generalities.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/27 10:09:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Un-fortunately I can remember TB before PepsiCo bought them out and sent them into a downward spiral. They actually cooked the meat and beans onsite. The cheese came pre-grated but it was REAL cheese, not full of filler crap.

I say un-fortunately because it USED TO be good.

In 2 weeks I'll be in calif. and can finally get some good mexican fast food.

MikeS.

I worked at the one in Ann Arbor on the U of M campus back in the early 80's. We cooked the meat fresh, pressure cooked, then re-fried the beans, and also grated our own cheese! That was then. Then it tasted good.. Now how true this is, I dont know for fact. But a freind who's a chef tells me the meat and beans come in dehydrated. All they do is add water to bring the stuff back to life. (YUK).
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/29 03:35:29 (permalink)
    Don't worry; I have not eaten at Toxic Bell for nearly ten years and do not plan on it anytime in the future!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/29 12:06:35 (permalink)
    In some ways, it depends upon the location. We sometimes eat at one near the college campus were we work, the place is always super clean, the staff friendly and the manager actually comes around and asks if all is ok. We were told recently that she bakes the chips fresh every day. I think it's a good value for what you get.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Avoid Taco Bell at all costs! 2006/09/29 13:22:52 (permalink)
    quote:

I was really hungry Friday and in the mood for mexican food, but only had 15 minutes. I was so thankful to survive that ordeal and now vow never to eat there again.
    Please avoid Taco Bell at ALL costs!

I read this as I eat a couple of tacos from Taco Bell. They are next to the post office, and since I was there, got a quick bite before going back to work. Their food is okay. Not great, perhaps not even good...but okay. I think your warning has as much to do with quantity as quality.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1