The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 11:06 AM (permalink)
I went to the Rio Station, which is the next town inland from the Wildwoods, the famed jersey shore resort...

Got there Monday 3-31-08 for dinner.

My meal was NOT amazing! (just the attitude was)

I ordered the regular sized prime rib, end cut, medium , with a bone
PRIME RIB, Rio Station

I don't like how they stopped listing their prime rib prices on the menu. It's now all "based on market" ....mine was $25.00, which seemed fair enough.

Looked pretty decent, but it tasted like shoeleather.
It was such a struggle to cut it!! The only part I liked was that crust by the bone; that was yummy.

I brought it to the attention of my waiter, Ron.
I was told "The chef won't be able to use this piece of meat again".
I said "Good, cause I would'nt want anybody to have this piece anyway, it was too tough"

A dinner experience should never feel like it is a bargaining/negotation session.

All I had asked for is another "small little piece" to replace the big one I was sending back.

The waiter brought the REPLACEMENT out.
The replacement was tasty, but still a bit too veiny..

He said "The chef is the owner , and he said he would do it THIS time"
I replied "Does'nt he want to see the customers happy"?
And Ron said "I brought you back another piece of meat, did'nt I?"

I told him I had been there about 5 or 6 times before; that's why I took a special drive down there today, cause I liked the prime rib there. (It's a straight shot down the Garden State Parkway for me, just 35 minutes away)

I said "Yes, I know the end cuts usually come out more well done, but it should still be soft and succulent , not tough and stringy.

However, this is the small price we pay for eating at independantly owned restaurants. Perhaps 1 out of 50 times, we will have an unsettling experience like this. The way the owner operates is strictly up to them. And I appreciate that "feedom of operation".

And sure , if I was at an Applebees or a Chili's (places I rarely go to) there would be a Jennifer or a Jessica apologizing with a sweet smile, and offering to bring me a new piece.

But I'll keep taking my chances with independants. Most of the time, luckily I do get treated nicely. (perhaps if I was 8 other people instead of on my own, I would've gotten more respect?)

--ellen--

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
    RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 11:17 AM (permalink)
    No where near red enough for me, sorry you had a bad experience Ellen.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
      RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
      Am I to undersatnd by the picture that you can also get 12 packs of Bud for $15.99 there?

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
        RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 11:26 AM (permalink)
        After sending out that 1st cut of "meat" I would have got upi and headed for the exit..... and the comment "the chef won't be able to use this peice of meat" is very concerning... maybe the Health Dept. needs to be made aware .....

Mags81

• Total Posts: 82
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 11:44 AM (permalink)
          Ellen,

I remember eating there about this time last year (April/May - perhaps mothers day?), and like you don't remember it being anything special at all. I don't even remember what I ordered which isn't a good sign...I wouldn't be surprised if the Rio Diner right down the street had a better cut of prime rib...all the other food there is pretty good.

ellen4641

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 12:14 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by firecommander3565

After sending out that 1st cut of "meat" I would have got upi and headed for the exit..... and the comment "the chef won't be able to use this peice of meat" is very concerning... maybe the Health Dept. needs to be made aware .....

Because I already ate a few bites of the meat, I don't expect that the chef will be able to use it again!! However, it's not something that I feel a customer needs to be aware of ...(it's just to be assumed)

ellen4641

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 04/4/08 12:18 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by s_b_man18

Ellen,

I remember eating there about this time last year (April/May - perhaps mothers day?), and like you don't remember it being anything special at all. I don't even remember what I ordered which isn't a good sign...I wouldn't be surprised if the Rio Diner right down the street had a better cut of prime rib...all the other food there is pretty good.

HI sb man!
              I had to make up for this bad experience, so I went to B and B Roasters, a fairly new place down the street

B and B Roasters, Rio Grande, NJ

They are known for their homemade hot roast beef sandwiches

I enjoyed the hot roast beef and fries the next morning before I left for work. It made for a nice breakfast.

Also, the girl behind the counter gave me such a warm greeting and smile. It helped soothe my unfortunate encounter at the Rio Station.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1087
                RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Mon, 05/5/08 7:32 PM (permalink)
                Thank goodness I found this thread towards the end of the workday today! I almost had my mind totally made up that that was where Brian and I would go for our 6 month anniversary coming up on May 20. I'm taking off that Tuesday, and he'd like to take me to Cape May for the day. The places down there seem so...well, Cape May-ish, so Rio Station sounded more our speed. Yesterday, he told me he totally trusts my restaurant judgment, and everyplace we've gone so far that's been my idea - he's loved. I was getting ready to email him and tell him we'd be going to Rio Station. Now? After reading your report and seeing the picture of the veiny meat and hearing what a schmuck the server was? Forget it, sister El!! Forget it!! Thank you SO MUCH for posting that.

Now it's back to the drawing board...can't be real expensive or huffy-puffy, gotta be where locals go and non-touristy (hard, I know, in that area, I'm sure), and can't be like a pizza place. Gotta get a "nice piece of meat" or "a nice piece of fish" (for him) there. Gotta be somewhere in Cape May County environs, because we'll be doin the whole lighthouse, Cape-May-Point-sunset and walking-the-beach thing...

Help.

In love and hungry,

Your friend,

"H"

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                  RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Wed, 05/7/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                  Harriet: Coincidentally I'm planning a getaway to Cape May with my wife either in a couple of weeks or after the Summer (no way will I go there in-season). We haven't been there in at least 15 years, but I've got a few roadfoody-places on my list to check into, based on recommendations from friends or on various boards. Maybe Ellen has some commentary on these places, most of which I haven't been to:

Stone Harbor- Springers, for Ice cream (we were there years ago)
                  Stone Harbor - Pat's Lunch - 80 year old guy with great soups & seafood.
                  Wildwood - A & LP Food Center - Pizza, Steak Sandwiches, etc
                  Cape May - Carney's - Old Irish Locals Bar with Great Food
                  Strathemere - Uncle Bill's Pancake House
                  Strathemere - Deauville Inn - We were here a couple of times years ago for drinks and the Romantic View of the Sunsets. (OK, I've been married 27 years, so maybe this time we'll just talk about the cats & the kids, but since you're early in your relationship, your conversation may differ...).

Enjoy. Hope this helps a little. ---Ken

PS: Ellen, sorry about your unpleasant meal in Rio Grande. Some restaurants just don't "get it" when it comes to service. Another place on my "to do" list is Menz Restaurant in Rio Grande. Any experience with that place?

harriet1954

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Wed, 05/7/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks, Ken (and Ellen, although she hasn't been on here since I posted last). I made my decision this morning, since he's leaving this one up to me, and I think it's gonna be a winner. It's up Route 9 in Seaville, in an Acme shopping center, and is called Mama Mia. I already printed out the menu.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                      RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Fri, 05/9/08 9:31 PM (permalink)
                      Not for nothin' but isn't Rio Grande the wierdest name for a town in New Jersey?Intutitvely, I wouldn't expect good food there, even good Mexican food there!

ellen4641

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Mon, 05/12/08 10:17 AM (permalink)
                        So glad you joined my prime rib thread! It had died off real quick; glad to see you resurrected it, my Roadfood buddies, Harriet and Ken!!
                        good words to descibe the waiter , Harriet... yes he was a "schmuck"....
                        so even though I've had good prime rib there in the past, as you can see, it's hit or miss..
                        and God forbid if you want to return your piece of meat! (and like I said , I just asked if I could get a "SMALL LITTLE PIECE" INSTEAD. I was'nt trying to make waves, and asked VERY nicely. Just a little piece to appease my "tough" experience with the 1st piece. I mean who wants to struggle with the knife trying to cut the thing?)

Harriet: Mama Mia's in Seaville is a good choice! I've enjoyed their special sauteed chicken in the lemon, garlic, wine & olives (and I'm not even an olive person!)
                        It's inland from the shore, and is NOT a tourist trap. I usually run into the Acme while I'm there, and even buy some cute clothes from the Fashion Bug store.

There is also another place I like on Route 9 in Ocean View; real good pizza; good chicken francaise, just a take out joint.... it's called Vita Bella.

Springers is good, as there ice cream is homemade, hours are very seasonal, though, they may not even open till June. (I seem to keep getting there too early)

Also, Ken, I do like A, L, & P in North Wildwood, on New Jersey ave, around 24th st. Good cheesesteaks, and my sis liked their meatball parm sub. The best thing they have going for them is that they are open all year, which is rare for a place in the Wildwoods.

Uncle Bills is a popular pancake house. There's a few others around, like the one in Ocean City.
                        I thought my pancakes were kind of try, nothing special. But I don't want to discourage you, in this case. In North Wildwood, my sis & I like Samuels Pancakes (very seasonal hours)

Don't really know enough about the other places to comment on.
                        But if you really want to live it up , you can always go to the Lobster House in Cape May.
                        Our parents always enjoyed going for a special meal there.

Hey, Harriet and Ken! Let us know how each of your experiences goes ! Inquiring minds' want to know!!

Thanks for caring about my prime rib experience. There is nothing worse than leaving a restaurant with an unsettling feeling ....

harriet1954

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Mon, 05/12/08 7:10 PM (permalink)
                          I think it's gonna end up being Lucky Bones in Cape May. They have steak and fries (or "steak and frites") for $16 on Tuesdays. Not bad for that area. I went on the Mama Mia site and it seems really odd that they have a sharing charge of $5 for everything right down to a piece of bread and butter. What, do they have a person standing guard to make sure you don't share? Jeez! That's like so against my principles.

I also checked Vanthia's in West Cape May and they'll be closed next Tuesday. Sheesh. That looked really excellent, too.

Lobster House has so many thumbs down all over the internet that I wouldn't even attempt it.

Ken, that would be cool if you were down there next Tuesday! I know I met you on the Hot Dog Tour and now I forget what you looked like. I'll have to see if I can find you on some pictures from then.

Anyway, Rio Station is a "No! No! No!" And that's a shame...but I listen to my friends when it comes to things like this.

ellen4641

RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Mon, 05/12/08 7:36 PM (permalink)
                            You're so cool, Harriet, and I can't wait to see you again on the hot dog tour, if not sooner...

That $5.00 sharing charge at Mama Mia IS ugly! I did NOT realize they had that tacky charge on the menu. I don't blame you for getting turned off after reading that.

The place is on the small side, but they do pack about 15-20 tables in there, business looked decent, but the place was'nt packed either time, .........it's too bad they have to be tacky like that.
                            It's a shame, cause it's actually got a little bit of atmosphere in there, even linen napkins, (for those that like that), and a nice color scheme. I do remember a "closed-in feeling", as I don't think there were windows in the dining room

I've been meaning to try that Lucky Bones place in Cape May... let us know how it is, Harriet..
                            you can report right here in this "Prime Cuts" forum!

I had'nt realized that the Lobster House had gotten so many bad reviews. My parents (RIP) have'nt been there in ages, maybe it's gone way downhill..

Sure is good hearing from you, girl... cause you know how it is here in Roadfood.com land !
                            Roadfood buddies seem to come and go... all of a sudden they drop by the wayside, and I never hear from them again! But glad you are still true blue !

--ellen--

p.s. KUDOS to you , Harriet, for being such a good Internet restaurant researcher! I enjoy studying menus and reviews a lot myself. Heck, I even WRITE reviews ! (right here on roadfood.com)

p.p.s. ELLEN'S RECS: I've eaten at the BUCK TAVERN on route 50 in Corbin City twice. It's a bit off the beaten path, but I thought it was worth it.
                            It's got a great rustic atmosphere. I've enjoyed the prime rib there, (one of their specialties) as well as the buffalo wings. (interesting "blue cheese buffalo wings" with the dressing and sauce mixed in) (regular type available too)

And I've been meaning to try the SEA GRILL in Avalon. Steak restaurant with a salad bar. (and open all year, unusual for that area!)

ppps Harriet, I've got a pic of Ken on my hot dog tour trip report.
                            (that may help you refresh your memory of him)
                            He's the real handsome* guy holding up the extra jar of chili
                            he bought from Father and Son luncheonette

* I know how to stay on Ken's good side, huh?!?

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                              RE: BAD experience at Rio Station, Rio Grande, NJ Tue, 05/13/08 1:34 PM (permalink)
                              <<* I know how to stay on Ken's good side, huh?!?>>

Thanks for the flattery, but actually you stay on my good side by posting all those great trip reports!

Thanks for the comments on A&LP and the others. It looks like we won't get down that way until the early fall. Our planned trip for the weekend after Memorial day has now been derailed by my son's announcement that he is going to our local High School prom that weekend with some girl he apparently couldn't say no to (he's 20 and in Community College). So we’re staying home to be certain that he will interrupt his Halo game long enough to take a shower before leaving, or something.

What's worse is that he will probably wind up in Wildwood, and we won't…

---Ken

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com